Emergency SFAB Meetings About Proposed SRKW Fishing Closures

Didn't you read profisher's observations from last season? The SRKW hardly ever showed up in the JDF last year because there were no Chinook for them. He noted that the orcas sent a couple small scouting parties into the Strait and as they didn't find anything worthwhile the large pods stayed offshore. Another reason why these area closures are nonsense.
Over the past 40+ years watching orcas I agree whales don’t stay where there are no fish and use scouts to find schools for the group. What I don’t know is how detrimental the whale watchers are to this predatory behaviour.

Where is the Sports Fishing Institute in all these discussions? They are probably the strongest lobbying group that the rec fishers have yet not a constructive peep from them on this important issue. If you read their latest newsletter where they basically agreed with all the measures that the DFO are taking in area 18 and other areas you begin to wonder if they are not just a puppet of the DFO???[/QUO

As a member & or if you are member ..please feel free to send a email or call SFI and have a conversation with them.... remember at this point this is a SFAC /SFAB process....

Where is the Sports Fishing Institute in all these discussions? They are probably the strongest lobbying group that the rec fishers have yet not a constructive peep from them on this important issue. If you read their latest newsletter where they basically agreed with all the measures that the DFO are taking in area 18 and other areas you begin to wonder if they are not just a puppet of the DFO???
They are on the front lines doing your dirty work and you should thank them

I guess we know where LeBlanc stands on removing fish farms from our waters.... I wonder how many chinooks we could raise with $24 million

Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc said in a statement that the Canadian government is committed to regulating a responsible and sustainable aquaculture sector.

"We understand Canadians' concerns around aquaculture and are committed to science and evidence-based decision making," LeBlanc said.

He added that the government is convening a panel, announced Feb. 5, on the appropriate use and consideration of scientific evidence as it relates to aquaculture regulation.

He also pointed to a $24-million investment in the Aquaculture Sustainability Program, which aims to streamline regulation, improve regulatory management and increase scientific knowledge of the sector.

I have to agree, the underlying problem has nothing to do with current government, and more to do with decisions made by the Conservatives. We also have to bear in mind that up until recent times there wasn't a good understanding around why ocean survival was dropping so dramatically. With the research coming out of organizations like the Salish Sea Project and others, its becoming increasingly clear there are some big causes of smolt mortality (predation, pollution, lack of food). The road back will be long and require some very difficult decisions and serious funding.

That said, the politics driving these particular ineffectual management choices (Area Closures & closing rec fishing), are being driven by a political agenda out of Ottawa. They seem to be looking for politically expedient measures that are more about "fire for effect" than actually solving the underlying root causes.

Picking fights with recreational fishers by closing their fisheries down will not address the root cause, and the problem will continue to spiral out of control. Case in point, look at how the Province managed steelhead into extinction. Their sole management measure largely involved increasingly more restrictive controls on rec fishing, as opposed to actually addressing the root causes. Chinook and ergo SRKW will follow the same path if we stick to the "captain obvious" solutions that were used on Steelhead for example.

If Ottawa wants to see change, make the difficult decisions and financial commitment to actions that would make a difference....like:

1. Habitat Restoration
2. Augmentation using leading edge hatchery practices that pair fish to help promote increasing size at age
3. Pinniped control
4. Dramatic reductions in commercial fisheries for herring, krill, crab - all part of Chinook juvenile diet when they first out-migrate into the ocean - stop ocean mining the food chain!
5. Ocean Chinook net pen projects, such as the one in Sooke to provide immediate prey/food for SRKW
6. Implement a 400m bubble zone to create a mobile spatial exclusion area around whales at all times to address physical and acoustic disturbances
7. Force Victoria to clean up their act - stop dumping raw sewage and toxins into the environment - Similarly Vancouver should be developing enhancements to sewage treatment to improve discharge quality

Sorry for the rant, but unless we start thinking outside the box, Chinook and SRKW are doomed.

Well said Searun. Hopefully you submitted this feedback to DFO? Here's the contact person if you haven't:

You are requested to provide feedback by Thursday March 15th, 2018 to Ashley Dobko at Ashley.Dobko@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Here's the form for feedback on SKRW to DFO. You can send it to Ashley Dobko at Ashley.Dobko@dfo-mpo.gc.ca Deadline is March 15th for submissions.

Attachments

• Southern Resident Killer Whale Discussion Paper Feedback Form.pdf
    110.7 KB · Views: 13
Where is the Sports Fishing Institute in all these discussions? They are probably the strongest lobbying group that the rec fishers have yet not a constructive peep from them on this important issue. If you read their latest newsletter where they basically agreed with all the measures that the DFO are taking in area 18 and other areas you begin to wonder if they are not just a puppet of the DFO???

The SFI represents the lodges, guides and tackle industry. Most of their focus is in northern BC reaches where lodges are. I have heard that SVIAC was started because SFI neglected the needs of the South where most restrictions were happening. These proposals are dealing again only with the South so maybe that's why SFI is keeping a low profile again: it doesn't affect their core land. Although someone said that the only lodge in Sooke is considering closing with the grim outlook for salmon and halibut fishing. First victim of this total BS. Very sad!

I'm not going to get into a pissing match between the groups.....As a resource the above are the same needs for everyone as a shared resource..SFI has many angler members ... There are many groups that are aliened with each other... Again just because u don't see something on the forum or in print doesn't mean that things are being done or work on.... With your above questioning and your previous statements it shows that u don't truly understand what is happening or even how a lot of these things work.... I know you have had people try to explain what's going to you personal and you still are not grasping it...... There is even more bigger pic **** happening now that effects all of us.. .... in the end join the group the floats your boat best & represents what your belief are... but join a group ...Sitting here throwing **** at other group or that matter at the groups is just divisive....perhaps ask SVIAC what there relationship is with SFI ? we wonder why we cannot be heard with just one voice...here kitty kitty

Last edited:
As Derby says, we need one large organized group with a loud voice representing us. The fragmented, dysfunctional system we have right now is obviously not working? How is it going to be possible to bring all of these many interest groups together under one banner and have one powerful voice representing our interests?

What Derby is saying is that these groups do align together when an issue is so important it requires a unified voice. And that will continue. Maybe one day there will be a national group but until then just support one of the existing groups as they all do good work and deserve your support.

As Derby says, we need one large organized group with a loud voice representing us. The fragmented, dysfunctional system we have right now is obviously not working? How is it going to be possible to bring all of these many interest groups together under one banner and have one powerful voice representing our interests?

The strength come as the groups work together and trust the leadership of each of the groups.... believe or not the groups talk and work with each...Each group has there strengths and there weakness....

If everybody on this forum who doesn't already belong to a group rushes out and joins a group how is this supposed to help solve the problem? How many groups are there out there now that represent the Sports Fishing interests? As I see it, in this case, having a large number of groups representing us is the cause of our problems and it is a the major weakness not a strength. We are witnessing first hand, the gradual erosion of our fishery and this trend is accelerating and is going to continue. Look what has happened just in the past year. We have the Save the Whales controversy in area 18 and other areas, the negative changes to the 2018 halibut regulations, reducing Ling Cod retention from 6 to 4, the decimation of the prawn fishery in area 25 and other areas and the non retention of Yellow Eye in 2018 and I have probably missed something important? To this observer the trend is certainly not going in the right direction, yet how do we go about stopping it before it is too late? Unfortunately it may already be too late?

Last edited:
You have just now add how many more items to a full docket already?.. each one is complex and layered, I could spend a hr just explaining each of those question... With you asking those particular questions my thinking is you are either a lodge owner or work close to one ... There is 4 groups that should fit most people needs.. SFI, SVIAC,WCFGA & BCWF do u or a couple of the other belong to any of these groups? and if so for how long? There are many that have joined recently that great, things have been hitting the fan for awhile and soon as it starts to perhaps slow down , how many of you will drop your memberships?? So as people join the choose group that floats there boat that allows you to ask questions of those boards...The membership money allows groups to have executive directors and support staff to work at the issues.... The above Groups all work together there is a voice..Perhaps not as strong as people want right now...but each membership and strong supports allow the groups to build there platforms And business plans to tackle the issues.... so be a member to 1 or a couple of the groups..and stay a member ..pay your dues on time allow the good people doing the fight to see they have your support.... ask the questions of the groups but those grass root groups don't run on water ... money and your support they can.... remember Rome wasn't build in a day........

Well I think your conveniently leaveing out their is a legitimate conservation concern for many marine stocks.

Obviously we can’t continue with the path we’re on and managing our stocks to zero.

Regardless of how we made it to the path we are on it is obviously that it needs to drastically change course.

Simple lobbying for ‘give me more” is not a path I support.

People leading these groups are navigating a very thin line of “give me more” or “keep what I can” while also taking into consideration there is a genuine need for conservation.

I don’t agree with with the management style dfo Has taken with picking on one area at a time. This is largely influenced by lobbying groups by all sectors.

DFO's proposed management actions with regards to SRKW. The meeting is Friday March 9th at 7 pm at the Bass Pro Shop in Tsawwassen

https://stores.basspro.com/ca/bc/tsawwassen/5000-canoe-pass-way.html

The meeting is open to the public and will be focused on views we all have about management proposal for area 29. My understanding is that this meeting is being led by the local SFAC and that comments concerns and suggestions coming out of this meeting will be provided to SFAB which will communicate resulting information to DFO.

Well said Searun. Hopefully you submitted this feedback to DFO? Here's the contact person if you haven't:

You are requested to provide feedback by Thursday March 15th, 2018 to Ashley Dobko at Ashley.Dobko@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Not to worry, quite involved in the SFAB and supporting the efforts to help DFO find a balanced approach to SRKW recovery. Thanks for helping spread the word on people getting their feedback submitted.

Well I think your conveniently leaveing out their is a legitimate conservation concern for many marine stocks.

Obviously we can’t continue with the path we’re on and managing our stocks to zero.

Regardless of how we made it to the path we are on it is obviously that it needs to drastically change course.

People leading these groups are navigating a very thin line of “give me more” or “keep what I can” while also taking into consideration there is a genuine need for conservation.

I don’t agree with with the management style dfo Has taken with picking on one area at a time. This is largely influenced by lobbying groups by all sectors.
Bravo!

As Derby says " Rome was not built in a day" Unfortunately, in the case of our fastly disappearing fisheries, we are seeing first hand the systematic dismantling of Rome, brick by brick or in our case, area by area. Amen

Are u part of any groups? and if so how long? I don't see you giving us any answers.. perhaps observations ..I can say Suggestion are always welcome Money & bodies helping the groups are even more welcome as there are only so many of us to take on a heavier and heaver load every year as u can see.......

As wildmanyeah said.... a very true statement:

Well I think your conveniently leaving out their is a legitimate conservation concern for many marine stocks.

Back