Repower my Arima hunter

habberdasher

Hi I would like your advice about my options? I had a 60 Etec 2006 with only 140 hrs. that fryed a cylinder I think due to running lean so even though I wouldn’t need controls or prop I don’t have a warm fuzzy feeling about etec’s. I am leaning towards the 50 Honda because it comes with controls and prop and is very light which Hunters like. I have driven Hondas and Acuras for decades with out a problem. Now that I am long in the tooth I am not to concerned about top end but would like to get on plane quickly and I plan on trolling with the main thanks in advance for your advice
Tom

The only thing that would concern me about buying a Honda is that many of dealers who used to sell Hondas no longer do and depending on where you live...support may be an issue. When you go to the big boat shows you no longer see Honda's on the back of boats or on stands in the dealer booths. You only see them on stands in the manufacturers booth.

What year is your Etec? Do you think it’s rebuildable? Just an option to think about, depending on the damage and the original problem that caused the failure. If that’s not an option, black on white go pretty good together and there is lots of service shops around for Mercs.

Oly

The only thing that would concern me about buying a Honda is that many of dealers who used to sell Hondas no longer do and depending on where you live...support may be an issue. When you go to the big boat shows you no longer see Honda's on the back of boats or on stands in the dealer booths. You only see them on stands in the manufacturers booth.
Thanks Profisher I am from Victoria and I think Sherwood and S and G sell them and Westshore marine says they can do the service for the warranty

What year is your Etec? Do you think it’s rebuildable? Just an option to think about, depending on the damage and the original problem that caused the failure. If that’s not an option, black on white go pretty good together and there is lots of service shops around for Mercs.

Oly
Hi Oly1 it’s a 2006 and I am scared to put a couple of grand into a motor I have lost confidence in. I had Mercs when I was young and was ripped off by the dealer fifty years ago so I think it’s time I got over it-:) I will consider them and yes they would look pretty even though the old Hunter is beige

I have owned a Honda 50 and had good success
currently have a Yamaha 60 which is even better.
I don't think you could go too far wrong with either brand.

Last edited:
Why not try a mercury command thrust. With smart craft gauge it has a troll mode also

We just got another Acura as a vehicle... I also love my commercial Honda lawn mower... I personally wouldn’t get a Honda outboard though. The Yamaha’s are solid (I have a 90 and a 9.9HT) and the new line of Suzuki’s are also quiet and efficient. Those are my recommendations. Also, with the Suzuki I heard you can add an rpm controller for trolling for about $300 which sounds pretty handy. Whatever you choose I hope it goes well for you!
Hi I would like your advice about my options? I had a 60 Etec 2006 with only 140 hrs. that fryed a cylinder I think due to running lean so even though I wouldn’t need controls or prop I don’t have a warm fuzzy feeling about etec’s. I am leaning towards the 50 Honda because it comes with controls and prop and is very light which Hunters like. I have driven Hondas and Acuras for decades with out a problem. Now that I am long in the tooth I am not to concerned about top end but would like to get on plane quickly and I plan on trolling with the main thanks in advance for your advice
Tom

I was in a similar situation with my Arima Sea Explorer. Decided on a Yamaha F70 to replace my older Honda 50. More local support for Yamaha and Mercury in my area (Delta). Was tempted to get the Merc 60 Command Thrust but the Yamaha just seemed like better value. Getting it rigged in the next couple of weeks and will post my impressions...

Last edited:
I have a Sea Hunter with a 60hp Suzuki that has been a great motor. I also troll with it so sold the trolling motor it came with. It is very quite, in fact I have walked away from it a few times not realizing it was still running. I added a hydrofoil to it so the boat gets up on a plane much faster. Also upgraded to hydraulic steering this past fall. Went from two handed steering to one finger steering. What a difference.

I would have a look at Suzuki, nice quiet motors and the 6year warranty is hard to beat. The 60hp weighs in at 229# on their website.

I have a 06 50hp merc 4s (the same engine is available in a 60hp version) with over 900hrs on it now and it has only ever had regular oil/filter changes and a couple h2o pump impeller changes to date.
I think I might treat it to new plugs this year but?
Its never missed a beat so..... mercury gets my vote

Thanks everyone it is wonderful that so much knowledgeable advice is available because of this forum! So many positive choices however no one wrote about the etec so it seems that I can cross them off the list which is easy after being without power on three occasions.
Tight lines Tom

We have one 2017 Mercury 60hp lease return left, it has under 300 hours on it and factory warranty, for $5999. It would be a great option for you.

Not a bad deal, I think the new Suzuki 60’s are in the 10k amd up range.

Back