Chek 6 Poll On SRKW - take a moment and complete it please

Does anyone know how many pieces the commercial chinook troll fleet off WCVI takes each year? Is it in the 50-100K range? If so this would be a somewhat significant number of adult chinook (whale food) that could potentially be available should the gov't want an 'immediate' impact. From what I understand there is a large fund sitting in Ottawa that could be used to compensate these commercial trollers in exchange for their agreement on not fishing for a period to time.

As most on here know, for chinook salmon the allocation according to law is: 1) conservation 2) FN 3) rec 4) commercial.

Could be a good short term option that would have an immediate impact.... at a financial cost of course but hey, the feds seem to be pumping tens of millions into a lot of 'iffy' research, etc so could be worth a shot.

I don't think they take much of the Chinook that impact the SRKW

"Area G will provide additional input regarding southern resident killer whales once the separate document described in your letter is released for review. It is our current view that the Area G fishery is unlikely to have any impact on the availability of prey to the killer whales and that the Department is ignoring the more significant problems with seal and sea lion effects on chinook abundance."

According to this attachment from the Area G Harvest Committee they leave lots in the water

"The value of fish left in the water over the past 3 years is
estimated at approximately 2.7 million dollars (roughly 38,000 chinook or approximately $40,000 per
active fisher) representing a substantial loss of potential income to fishers"

I should not spout of about something i know little about so perhaps @IronNoggin can set it straight.

Attachments

• Feedback Received by DFO on Draft 2018 IFMP Planning Letter FINAL.pdf
    266.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This crap? Again?? :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how many pieces the commercial chinook troll fleet off WCVI takes each year? Is it in the 50-100K range? If so this would be a somewhat significant number of adult chinook (whale food) that could potentially be available should the gov't want an 'immediate' impact.

FYI: Area G Troll took 47K chinook last year (chinook is the ONLY species DFO lets them fish any longer).
Fisheries were explicitly timed to avoid Canadian produced chinook, and that (once again) had the desired effect with well over 85% of the catch being US origin (as in minimal effect on Fraser stocks which the darling whales rely chiefly on). The TAC for Area G has been cut many times over the past decade to that level (50% since 2009), and is once again expected to taken another 15% or more hit again this season.

Conversely, the recreational Sector took slightly more (~ 50K) in the same area. This fishery runs full season, and has demonstrated a much larger impact on returning Fraser chinook than the commercial harvest. For the past several years, the Recreational catch has exceeded that of Area G.

From what I understand there is a large fund sitting in Ottawa that could be used to compensate these commercial trollers in exchange for their agreement on not fishing for a period to time.

At one time there was. The US was paying their fishermen to sit dockside and not fish. They suggested the same should be occurring in Canada. While DFO at the time agreed it was a worthy idea, they strongly noted this was something they (government) could not afford. The US ponied up and sent 30 Million US North to Canada for that purpose. DFO gleefully latched onto that funding, and refused to spend it where it was agreed to be expended. They were taken to court by Area G. A Conservative judge agreed with DFO, and found against the fishermen. DFO subsequently used a smattering of the money to fund a small buy back program. The larger balance was spent willy-nilly wherever and whenever another pet project wandered across their desk. The funds have long since been gobbled up, and certainly does not exist today.

At this point, the allocation model is being somewhat adhered to. No-one can ever tell you anything close to the actual FN harvest, but it is well assumed to be the highest. The Recreational sector is next, and the commercial fleet sucks the hind tit once again. The real loser in the equation is that of Conservation, which seems to have slipped the mind of our so-called managers for many years now.

Capish??
Nog

Last edited:
No-one can ever tell you anything close to the actual FN harvest, but it is well assumed to be the highest.

DING DING DING DING and there you have it folks! I posted extensively about the beast the FN fishery has become and good luck getting DFO/JT to tell the you the truth.

Bob Hooton posts a grim but accurate picture of the fishing pressures that thompson river steelhead face on the migration up the Fraser river. Thompson river and upper Fraser CHINOOK stocks are just as depressed and one of the main sources of food for the SRKW.

http://steelheadvoices.com/?p=851

1. The British Columbia population stands at approximately 4.7 M today.
  2. The aboriginal population is approximately 226K or 4.8%. That number is comprised of three separate groups officially referred to as First Nations (155K), Metis (69K) and Inuit (1.6K).
  3. Almost half of the aboriginal population is age 25 or under. This is about twice as many people in that age group relative to any other population group in BC. These figures mean the Aboriginal population is the fastest growing segment of the BC population.
  4. Depending on which government web site one visits, there are different number of “distinct First Nations” in BC. The most commonly cited number is 198.
  5. A Thompson River steelhead will encounter 36 FNs along the Fraser between Tsawwassen at the mouth of the river and Spences Bridge at the confluence of the Thompson and Nicola rivers. A Chilcotin steelhead will encounter many more.
Compliance by first nations in the area

http://steelheadvoices.com/?p=846

1. Fisheries that are exclusive to First Nations received the lowest level of enforcement monitoring in 2017 relative to any other year..
  2. Recreational fisheries in the lower Fraser River received five times as much enforcement patrol effort as did commercial fisheries.
  3. Over 100 illegal gill nets were seized by DFO officers patrolling the lower Fraser in 2017. I’ll go out on a limb here and assume the large majority of those nets were set by FN fishers. The fact that no charges were referenced for those seizures lends support to my assumption. There were 69 recreational anglers charged for fishing with barbed hooks over the same areas and times.
  4. Ninety illegal gill nets were seized by DFO officers patrolling the Fraser between Chilliwack and Hells Gate. Apparently 15 of these seizures resulted in charges but there was no mention of consequences.
  5. DFO noted that compliance among Interior Fraser First Nations was “relatively good for the sockeye fishery except for one community near Lillooet that protested and harvested approximately 13,000 summer run sockeye.” There was no mention of any consequences there either. One wonders how many Chilcotin steelhead may have ended up dead in this fishery.
  6. Finally, and most importantly, here we had a senior DFO Conservation and Protection Division staff member at the podium addressing The Fraser River Aboriginal Fisheries Secretariat right in the thick of the emergency review of the status of those endangered Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead and the word steelhead never appears in his 32 slide Power Point presentation.

Fishing pressure in the small area by first nations

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/vancouver-sun/20081105/281715495452103

"between Mission and the Fraser Canyon — an area with 1,400 aboriginal fishermen and the potential for 700 gillnets to be in the water at one time." (this figure does not include lower Fraser River or Upper!)

Get off the Trump train and stick to the topic. There are other threads where there is already plenty of discussion on SRKW, Seals, Sea Lions, FF, etc. This thread was simply about participating in the poll as the OP stated.

Put in bold this time so those that missed it earlier can see it this time! This thread has been derailed...get it back on track.

... Put in bold this time so those that missed it earlier can see it this time! This thread has been derailed...get it back on track.

Roger That.
With apologies - I did see that initially, but simply was not too keen on letting the misinformation about Area G stand. No more from me.

I did vote in their poll.
Won't make a hill of beans of difference beyond a little "feel good" for those about to take the hit.

It is my understanding that DFO Pacific well understands what should be done, but their hands are tied by the Bleeding Hearts that run them (and this country) of late. Sad but True...

Nog

DING DING DING DING and there you have it folks! I posted extensively about the beast the FN fishery has become and good luck getting DFO/JT to tell the you the truth.
The FN bias in fish allocation by the DFO can’t be a surprise after all the success they have had in the courts. The nation in our area won a huge ruling in Supreme Court 2 years ago for the right to openly fish commercially, not just for food which I support. They have a full on Halibut quota so now we have long lines right in the close areas we fish and a fleet of trollers that we have to dodge when playing fish.

Add to this the ridiculous blatant Sockeye machine in Port Alberni coupled with wanton harvest of the allegedly endangered Fraser Chinooks it is apparent to me that we are sucking the hind teat and unless we stand up with a United front it will get worse.

Didn't fill out the poll but sent them this email:

Hello ~ I hope that you CHECK out the research below and report on it. Surveys are fine but they don’t really help people make informed decisions - the information below will.

One of the uncomfortable truths about the decline in the Chinook fishery in the Salish Sea is that seals are a much larger part of the problem than sports fishermen. Have a look at the 2 attachments and the recent research to back up the statements.

One more uncomfortable truth. Hatcheries are feeding the seals. Up to 50% of Chinook Smolts are taken by seals in the Salish Sea.
I would hope that the research findings and their implications are discussed in some depth in the media. That would be meaningful journalism.
Regards

[By the way I am a sport fisherman not affiliated with an advocacy group.]

Attachments

• 6 TIMES POSTER.pdf
    145.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Up to 60% Predation.pdf
    110.6 KB · Views: 4
Looks like a lot of their members are voting, should get our guys on there. I voted already.

FYI, those CHEK polls are currently rigged. It looks like someone is running a vote robot, so don't put too much weight into the result.

If you want to see how its done?
-open your browser in private or incognito mode
-paste the vote link into the browser
-vote
-close the window
-rinse/repeat

Once you see how that works, it's not hard to just automate the whole thing.

Didn't fill out the poll but sent them this email:

Hello ~ I hope that you CHECK out the research below and report on it. Surveys are fine but they don’t really help people make informed decisions - the information below will.

One of the uncomfortable truths about the decline in the Chinook fishery in the Salish Sea is that seals are a much larger part of the problem than sports fishermen. Have a look at the 2 attachments and the recent research to back up the statements.

One more uncomfortable truth. Hatcheries are feeding the seals. Up to 50% of Chinook Smolts are taken by seals in the Salish Sea.
I would hope that the research findings and their implications are discussed in some depth in the media. That would be meaningful journalism.
Regards

[By the way I am a sport fisherman not affiliated with an advocacy group.]

Great letter!! Thanks so much for taking the time to construct such a thoughtful letter to build awareness. We all have to keep working to build awareness that leads to understand and ultimately adoption of the mindset change that is necessary if we are going to address the root causes

Back