Emergency SFAB Meetings About Proposed SRKW Fishing Closures

Profisher, you must have missed my note earlier. I reported right out of the Sidney meeting on Monday where I was appalled by the silly approach by our SFAB reps. I listed a number of issues that led to this orca crisis but yet the SFAB rep shut me down and asked to stick to the program: "Choose what you want to have closed; Active Pass or Pender Bluff".

Ridiculous! I want no area closed for fishing as we all know this will accomplish nothing! Why choose then? I left early in disgust. SFAB completely failed us here.

Calmseas...don't blame the SFAB..blame the lack of involvement and or commitment of your fellow fishermen. The greens are driving the bus here because they are vocal, unified with their message, pay staff to attend important meetings, lobby government and are organized. They are well funded and we are not. These closures which in the their original proposal would have seen the entire southern Island and approach waters to the Fraser shut down are being driven the greens. Recreational anglers are now paying for their lack of support of those groups who would and could have taken take on the greens much earlier on and likely avoided this in the first place. You can't win the fight when you are thrown into the ring in the 10th round laying on the canvas with an 8 count on you. Maybe a lesson is going to be finally learned here and anglers will realize that we have great people out there willing to stand up for your rights....but they need to be funded just as well as the other groups who are just as passionate about their agendas.

Last edited:
Profisher, you must have missed my note earlier. I reported right out of the Sidney meeting on Monday where I was appalled by the silly approach by our SFAB reps. I listed a number of issues that led to this orca crisis but yet the SFAB rep shut me down and asked to stick to the program: "Choose what you want to have closed; Active Pass or Pender Bluff".

Ridiculous! I want no area closed for fishing as we all know this will accomplish nothing! Why choose then? I left early in disgust. SFAB completely failed us here.

That is a fair point, but DFO made its decision. It sounds like SFAB is just working with what is has, and gave you choice. By giving an option it sounded like that was fair. Don't turn into to every restriction is because of SFAB guy. There are enough of those on here liking your posts. ;)

upload_2018-3-2_15-40-11.jpeg

Several conservation groups say the federal government's failure to issue an emergency order reducing threats to endangered orcas off the B.C. coast ahead of fishing and whale-watching season could mean their extinction. Elaine Thompson / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

VANCOUVER — Several conservation groups say the federal government’s failure to issue an emergency order reducing threats to endangered orcas off the B.C. coast ahead of fishing and whale-watching season could mean the species’ extinction.

The organizations say Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Environment Minister Catherine McKenna had not recommended an emergency order to cabinet by March 1, which could have seen priority feeding refuges established, fishing restricted and speed reductions for commercial vessels put in place for the season.

“Their time is running out and we’re looking for concrete action to reduce threats, not just promises and not just more research,” said Misty MacDuffee, wild salmon program director for the Raincoast Conservation Foundation.

MacDuffee said Friday the situation is critical for the remaining 76 southern resident killer whales, adding that they have up to a 50 per cent chance of disappearing in the next century. The population has declined from a high of 96 in 1993.

She gave the mapping of potential foraging refuges as an example of an action that is useless without also keeping recreational fishermen and whale watchers out of those zones.

“They can’t just create a map and say, ‘Here are the areas that are important, these are the key areas,’ and then not do anything to reduce the threats that are occurring in those areas,” MacDuffee said.

Raincoast, Ecojustice, the David Suzuki Foundation, Georgia Strait Alliance, Natural Resources Defence Council and World Wildlife Fund sent a petition on the issue to LeBlanc and McKenna on Jan. 30.

The Department of Fisheries and Ocean was not immediately able to comment on Friday, but it identified similar priorities in a report released last month that reviews the effectiveness of recovery efforts so far.

In the report, the department found that while some initiatives, like banning contaminants, have slowed the species’ disappearance, they aren’t not enough. No concrete measures are in effect that directly aim at reducing ship noise and improving prey availability, which would provide the best chance of positive progress in the near term, it said.

It is “critical” to focus on the orcas’ key foraging areas, either by increasing the abundance of prey or reducing underwater noise so they can forage better, the report said. It should be a high priority in the immediate future to reduce competition from fishermen, as well as physical and acoustic disturbances. It also identified ship strikes as a new threat to the species.

The species is on a trajectory to disappear, unless further efforts are taken, the report said.

Research biologist Linda Nichol, who is one of the report’s authors, said addressing some of the threats to southern resident killer whales requires international co-operation with the United States, as well as participation from many stakeholders — including the shipping industry, whale-watching industry and both commercial and sport fishermen.

“The types of management things we might want to try and look at to reduce noise and disturbance, increase prey availability for these animals, could influence different sectors of our society on both sides of the border,” Nichol said.

On Friday, the Port of Vancouver released the interim results of its vessel slowdown trial. Early results confirm that underwater noise from the commercial vessels participating in the trial is reduced when they slow down.

Research biologist Linda Nichol, who is one of the report’s authors, said addressing some of the threats to southern resident killer whales requires international co-operation with the United States, as well as participation from many stakeholders — including the shipping industry, whale-watching industry and both commercial and sport fishermen.

Hmm no mention of First Nations

Hmm no mention of First Nations
Have to believe the First Nations will just lay silently in support of the environmentalists NGO's either until such time as the First Nations' interests aren't being indirectly (or directly) protected by the NGO's actions or until they are asked for their support. Every salmon that is saved for SRKW is another potential salmon for the First Nations fishery. Additionally, the reality is that the First Nations don't need to lobby DFO but rather DFO needs to reach out to or lobby the First Nations for support.

View attachment 36831

Several conservation groups say the federal government's failure to issue an emergency order reducing threats to endangered orcas off the B.C. coast ahead of fishing and whale-watching season could mean their extinction. Elaine Thompson / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

VANCOUVER — Several conservation groups say the federal government’s failure to issue an emergency order reducing threats to endangered orcas off the B.C. coast ahead of fishing and whale-watching season could mean the species’ extinction.

The organizations say Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Environment Minister Catherine McKenna had not recommended an emergency order to cabinet by March 1, which could have seen priority feeding refuges established, fishing restricted and speed reductions for commercial vessels put in place for the season.

“Their time is running out and we’re looking for concrete action to reduce threats, not just promises and not just more research,” said Misty MacDuffee, wild salmon program director for the Raincoast Conservation Foundation.

MacDuffee said Friday the situation is critical for the remaining 76 southern resident killer whales, adding that they have up to a 50 per cent chance of disappearing in the next century. The population has declined from a high of 96 in 1993.

She gave the mapping of potential foraging refuges as an example of an action that is useless without also keeping recreational fishermen and whale watchers out of those zones.

“They can’t just create a map and say, ‘Here are the areas that are important, these are the key areas,’ and then not do anything to reduce the threats that are occurring in those areas,” MacDuffee said.

Raincoast, Ecojustice, the David Suzuki Foundation, Georgia Strait Alliance, Natural Resources Defence Council and World Wildlife Fund sent a petition on the issue to LeBlanc and McKenna on Jan. 30.

The Department of Fisheries and Ocean was not immediately able to comment on Friday, but it identified similar priorities in a report released last month that reviews the effectiveness of recovery efforts so far.

In the report, the department found that while some initiatives, like banning contaminants, have slowed the species’ disappearance, they aren’t not enough. No concrete measures are in effect that directly aim at reducing ship noise and improving prey availability, which would provide the best chance of positive progress in the near term, it said.

It is “critical” to focus on the orcas’ key foraging areas, either by increasing the abundance of prey or reducing underwater noise so they can forage better, the report said. It should be a high priority in the immediate future to reduce competition from fishermen, as well as physical and acoustic disturbances. It also identified ship strikes as a new threat to the species.

The species is on a trajectory to disappear, unless further efforts are taken, the report said.

“The types of management things we might want to try and look at to reduce noise and disturbance, increase prey availability for these animals, could influence different sectors of our society on both sides of the border,” Nichol said.

On Friday, the Port of Vancouver released the interim results of its vessel slowdown trial. Early results confirm that underwater noise from the commercial vessels participating in the trial is reduced when they slow down.

It's all over the radio today in Nanaimo too... guess they have to look like there doing something??

And that is why they continue to get their way. They control the message.
They are political. They have a message and they get the press involved.
They get together.
They have paid staff.

We have?
Our message on this is?

It's all over the radio today in Nanaimo too... guess they have to look like there doing something??

We need lobbyists. All of these ENGO groups pay professionals to get the message out to the right groups in Ottawa. Its not cheap to do, but, its very effective.

We have a disadvantage, we catch killer whale food in the Native killer whale environment. Natives have an enshrined right to fish in Rivers, first, after conservation needs are met....and there are no killer whales. Not a particularly advantageous position for people like us with rods and reels.

Just hope that SR killer whales don’t keep secumbing to the ailments which have reduced their numbers to this level. While fishers may not like the current state of affairs, it is...reality.

Why are worrying about this at all? Ask yourself is posting up fear article by Suzuki's group helping the situation. Honestly look beyond the NGO groups. They are like 5% of our problem right now. Don't look at the 100ft view look down 10,000 feet on bigger picture. More bigger things than what this group is going on about. Its amazing the :"time is running out" slogan really gets people fired up.

And that is why they continue to get their way. They control the message.
They are political. They have a message and they get the press involved.
They get together.
They have paid staff.

We have?
Our message on this is?

There’s a lot of factors at play but I think it generally come down to when one sports fishery is close there is another area that benifits from that area closing.

Fraser river anglers have been shut out of a lot of fIsheries in recent years and have not received much love from anyone on this forum.

In fact they been **** out of so many fishers that a lot of them now would like to see coast wide closures so that chinook stocks can recover and they can go back to fishing on the river.

Last year was the tipping point where they could not even fish for pinks yet other rec anglers in the ocean got to fish for them.

Where was the support for lobbying then?

DFO is picking sectors off one by one, they know the backlash they would face if they put in coast wide reductions.

I find it hard to believe any species that feeds so selectively on a single prey, is not capable of changing its hunting areas has any chance of survival. Why don’t the whales move to any area of more abundance? Surely they would be better feeding in areas with less population and fishing pressure, yet they only are capable of feeding in the area around Victoria and Vancouver? Is it plausible an animal this smart would starve rather than modify its diet?

I can see if the study that claims they rely so heavily on Springs for sustenance was perhaps done during a Spring run. I can also see where all these proposed closures close to Vancouver and Victoria would be good for enticing whales for whale watchers. Sure as hell think there is more politics than science in play here.

I think they are adapting but expecting them to In a short time period time is unreasonable.

If I recall did they not used to spend more time fishing in California, Oregon and Washington.

Now reports have it they go about as north as they ever have.

I think they are adapting but expecting them to In a short time period time is unreasonable.

If I recall did they not used to spend more time fishing in California, Oregon and Washington.

Now reports have it they go about as north as they ever have.
Then that begs the question why look at shutting down only the areas that have been proposed? Even a cow,(not the smartest animal)will move once it’s eaten all the grass close at hand, to a better grazing area. These whales have plenty of chances of picking off the fish before they even get to the proposed closed areas? Why don’t they? Why are these areas so special (other than there proximity to tourist Centers)? I think there’s more to why these specific areas were selected.

A quick google of Raincoast Conservation yielded this

Ecotourism business Maple Leaf Adventures donates $100,000 over ten years to Raincoast Conservation Foundation

Published on 2017 · 10 · 25 by The Raincoast Conservation Foundation

Funding will support long-term research and community stewardship in the Great Bear Rainforest.

Victoria, BC — Oct. 24, 2017 — Local expedition cruise company Maple Leaf Adventures is committing a 10-year, $100,000 donation to Raincoast Conservation Foundation, starting today. It’s an example of how tourism business and conservation can work hand-in-hand on the British Columbia coast.

The commitment will provide funding certainty to research and stewardship projects in the Great Bear Rainforest, one of the areas that Maple Leaf Adventures operates its trips. The money will help pay wages of a local indigenous field crew member and a scientist, initially, on a multi-year grizzly bear research project in the region.

“It’s very important to do long-term research, yet these projects are often cut by governments,” said Kevin Smith, Maple Leaf Adventures’ CEO. “The coast is our home, and we are committed to operating our ecotourism business here in the long term, so we are really pleased to support valuable conservation work into the future, too.”

Conservation and ecotourism have a symbiotic relationship when done right. In addition to benefitting from the protected areas and healthy wildlife populations that conservation safeguards, Maple Leaf Adventures’ guests are able to visit with stewards and researchers on the trips, getting first-hand insight into discoveries, and also into the First Nations communities whose territory the projects are in. Guests and operators love and protect the coast, donating back to the stewards who look after it.

“We are extremely grateful for the extraordinary commitment and support of Maple Leaf Adventures. This action has shown why Maple Leaf Adventures is a visionary company and an industry leader,” said Chris Genovali, executive director of Raincoast Conservation Foundation.

Smith hopes it’s the beginning of something greater. The company plans to set up a related fund for guests who want to help match Maple Leaf Adventures’ contribution each year.

“We and our colleagues in the industry fully support the work Raincoast does and the way they do it,” said Smith. “Each year, more of our guests are discovering the wonders of the BC coast. I expect that many companies will start committing long-term as our industry matures. It’s in our DNA as responsible operators.”

So While I realize that this was a different program, you have to admit it has some pretty interesting parallels. Once again, look at the areas they want to shut down!

Back