Chek 6 Poll On SRKW - take a moment and complete it please

Now isn’t it interesting that they put this out?
Where is the one on commercial fishing?
Where is the one on FN fishing?

What group got this done?

Gotta love the poll it implies that if sports fishermen don't stop that the orcas are doomed.

How about where's the one on the most obvious group....the whale watching boats (obviously there's some very respectful operators but few and far between). The ones around Van are horrendous to boaters and fisherman, I can only imagine how the whales feel to about some of the operators.

I added the link to a charter service who posted about it earlier on FB

I don't understand why the whale watchers can't divert there attention from the killer whales and give them a break, and focus on the other whales that are out there....

Thanks everyone for taking the time to make your vote count. Not to drive a wedge between user groups, just did not like the wording of the poll.

It really doesn't respect the long wonderful tradition of recreational sport fishing, families getting out on the water enjoying the experience, life long friendships, inter-generational social links to fishing...I could go on for hours.

If we don't stand up and speak for recreational sport fishing, its values and benefits then don't be surprised to wake up one day and find it banned.

You'd think at some point the resident killer whales would key in on the seals and see them as a food source like the transients do. I'm an ignorant Albertan tho.

You'd think at some point the resident killer whales would key in on the seals and see them as a food source like the transients do. I'm an ignorant Albertan tho.

I know I find it amazing that they would starve as opposed to finding or eating another good source as we know they are very smart hunters

Residents and Transients are different populations that have evolved seperately. They don't interbreed. Transients are larger in size , and have evolved different social structures, with smaller groups with differences around matriarchal lines. They have evolved differently based on the prey they have evolved to hunt. Residents being fish eaters vocalize and communicate while hunting since fish can not hear them. Transients have developed very different hunting behaviors, and are silent when hunting as seals can hear very well, and in general have evolved less complex communication systems, and different social structures more appropriate for a wide ranging animal hunting intelligent mammals. Its not a matter of residents deciding to eat seals as you so often see on this forum (lots of BC natives who are out on the water are completely ignorant of whale biology so don't feel bad). Young transients still have to be taught how to hunt and are not able to be successful for a long time. Residents have just not evolved the social knowledge to do that, and expecting they will just decide to do it ignores thousands of years of evolution. The salmon have disappeared within 1 or 2 generations of these whales due to rapid human destruction of the resource, evolution just doesn't work that fast for this population to evolve in such a way. Unfortunately the way a population often responds to such a rapid change in their environment is extinction.

Back