Low Maintenance 3/4 Ton or 1 Ton Trucks

I knew you’d say that murph. A tuned 6.4 in performance mode is impressive tho.

I know I do miss driving it. I had my tune done at around 110000 km m didn’t make it to long, guess the damage was maybe already done in the first part of its life

I had an 05 gmc 2500 6.0 gasser. Great truck, put 225000km with only maintain items. Towed my boat with the small camper no problem. My family grew and the camper was no longer big enough, so I sold the camper, bought a 12 gmc 3500 duramax long box crew cab. Best truck I've owned, hands down. Picked up a 9.5 ft camper with a queen that covers the entire cab, 2000lbs wet, not including gear. I put the cruise on at the speed limit and relax while heading to the coast fully loaded with the boat in tow. I will never go back to gas, but im a desiel mechanic, so I'm bias lol

I have a 2008 GMC 2500HD with the gasser. I bought it last year. I had considered Diesel, but honestly the extra amount of money is not worth it unless you do a very high amount of miles every year and consistently pull 10000lbs plus loads. The diesel will never save you money over the gasser due to the higher maintenance cost and higher initial purchase price. I love the power of the Duramaxes though, holy wow night and day with the gas, just wasn't worth the expense for me. The GM 6.0 Liter reliability is legendary. Look it up on forums. My father in law had a 2002 that he used for years to commercially plow with in Ontario. he put 520000kms (i saw the odometer) on it and decided to finally sell it as it wasn't passing the Ontario e-test anymore. He never opened the engine once, one tranny rebuild around 350kms and that was it. I have to say the gas mileage is awful but if you want a daily driver buy a car. Pulls my 7200lbs of boat very comfortably.

My brother in law has a diesel performance shop, most of his customers are Ford owners. Between a
I had an 05 gmc 2500 6.0 gasser. Great truck, put 225000km with only maintain items. Towed my boat with the small camper no problem. My family grew and the camper was no longer big enough, so I sold the camper, bought a 12 gmc 3500 duramax long box crew cab. Best truck I've owned, hands down. Picked up a 9.5 ft camper with a queen that covers the entire cab, 2000lbs wet, not including gear. I put the cruise on at the speed limit and relax while heading to the coast fully loaded with the boat in tow. I will never go back to gas, but im a desiel mechanic, so I'm bias lol

What camper?

I had a gmc 6.0 but recently sold it to get a 05 duramax. The problem with some of the gmc trucks is the fuel tanks are tiny. I only use my truck for hunting trips to the peace and hauling the boat and the 6.0 became a pain in the butt while towing anything because of the amount of stops we had to make. The 6.0 by itself wasn’t actually too bad on fuel but the trailer killed the mileage .

My 2012 ram 3500 Cummins (with deleted emissions ) is getting 14-15 MPG city and averaging 20+ on the highway. They aren’t too bad on fuel once you do a bit of work to them. My old f150 (2006) was getting around 10 mpg and gas is more expensive than diesel so it’s working out pretty good for me.

My brother in law has a diesel performance shop, most of his customers are Ford owners. Between a

What camper?
It's a palomino, not sure of the model, 2000 model year. Attached a pic, not my truck tho. Been good for us so far. I will look for a pic of it on my current truck. image.png

I had a gmc 6.0 but recently sold it to get a 05 duramax. The problem with some of the gmc trucks is the fuel tanks are tiny. I only use my truck for hunting trips to the peace and hauling the boat and the 6.0 became a pain in the butt while towing anything because of the amount of stops we had to make. The 6.0 by itself wasn’t actually too bad on fuel but the trailer killed the mileage .
What range do you get with the Duramax?

I can see how in some cases manufactures may put in a smaller tank for the price sensitive to boast initial sales. It would really depend on what the truck was ordered/came with in terms of fuel tank capacity. As I said earlier my used Chev 2500 hd 6l gasser came configured for the bush including a huge built in tank. I am always amazed at how far it can go before refueling, even at 10 to 12mpg (Us gal.) on regular gas.

There is always the option of removing the smaller tank and replacing it with a large capacity after market tank and/or adding a 2nd built in high capacity tank. My guess is that with the long box there is more room underneath for additional fuel tank capacity than there is with the short box. There is also the option of putting a logger type large fuel tank in the front of the bed which has the downside of reducing cargo space and makes it impossible to put a large camper in it. If you want it, there is no reason you cannot have a truck that can spend a lot of time in the bush or fill up in Victoria and drive to Alberta without refueling.

Last edited:
I can see how in some cases manufactures may put in a smaller tank for the price sensitive to boast initial sales. It would really depend on what the truck was order/came with in terms of fuel tank capacity. As I said earlier my used Chev 2500 hd 6l gasser came configured for the bush including a huge built in tank. I am always amazed at how far it can go before refueling, even at 10 to 12mpg on regular gas.

There is always the option of removing the small tank and replacing it with a large capacity after market tank and/or adding a 2nd built in tank. My guess is that with the long box there is more room underneath for additional fuel tank capacity than there is with the short box. If you want it, there is no reason you cannot have a truck that can spend a lot of time in the bush or fill up in Victoria and drive to Alberta without refueling. That’s without putting a logger type fuel tank in the front of the bed which has the downside of reducing cargo space and makes it impossible to put a large camper in it.
Mine was a short box which I think is the reason for the smaller tank. I thought about putting in a slip tank but we need that space and I just wanted an excuse to get a diesel. The deal breaker was not even making it from Prince George to Chetwynd on a tank of fuel. We travel at night sometimes and I didn’t want to risk gas stations being closed. Unloaded with stock tires the mileage wasn’t bad at all.

I've have a 2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 4X4 since 2004 with zero money spent on anything except regular maintenance...oil filters, batteries, brakes, tires etc. (did put a Cap-It canopy on it) Mine is a 5 spd stick and I get 20mpg combined city/highway. I tow a 22 Seasport and you don't really know its back there. The only down side is this year is from the full on diesel noise generation of Cummins. Noisy when they are cold...I don't hang around the neighborhood to let it warm up when I leave early in the morning...fire it up and go. It had 91,000K on it when I bought it as a rebuilt salvage and has 225,000 on it now.

I've have a 2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 4X4 since 2004 with zero money spent on anything except regular maintenance...oil filters, batteries, brakes, tires etc. (did put a Cap-It canopy on it) Mine is a 5 spd stick and I get 20mpg combined city/highway. I tow a 22 Seasport and you don't really know its back there. The only down side is this year is from the full on diesel noise generation of Cummins. Noisy when they are cold...I don't hang around the neighborhood to let it warm up when I leave early in the morning...fire it up and go. It had 91,000K on it when I bought it as a rebuilt salvage and has 225,000 on it now.
Great trucks even better motors, and like all of the pre-emission diesels, will likely get another 225,000 km before any real major engine work required. Since then 3 separate emissions requirements - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (2006), Diesel particulate filters (2008) and Selective Catalytic reduction (DEF) 2012 have really "choked" diesels.

The only down side is this year is from the full on diesel noise generation of Cummins. Noisy when they are cold...I don't hang around the neighborhood to let it warm up when I leave early in the morning...fire it up and go. It had 91,000K on it when I bought it as a rebuilt salvage and has 225,000 on it now.

Rollie,
I read somewhere your neighbours were petitioning esquimalt for a 400 m bubble zone so they can sleep in!:eek:o_O

LOL yeh it wouldn't surprise me. I wish they would just give me a buy out so I could retire, sell everything and spend my time somewhere on a beach in the sun and reminisce of better fishing times.

LOL yeh it wouldn't surprise me. I wish they would just give me a buy out so I could retire, sell everything and spend my time somewhere on a beach in the sun and reminisce of better fishing times.
Switch to warm water species. Lots of them left

Back