Buying a used Kingfisher

Dave3770

Hi guys, I'm looking at buying a used 28ft Kingfisher, and hoping for some advice on what potential issues I should be wary of. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Corrosion would be something to keep in mind. place to look where stainless mounts to aluminum, rubber gasket windows, anchor box or near batteries.

i own a 2005 , add more zincs and keep the bottom paint working, no problems.

i own a 2005 , add more zincs and keep the bottom paint working, no problems.

This is true but not everyone does a great job with maintenance. With metal boats this is one thing i check for when buying used

Moorage in a hot marina can make a mess quickly. Also boats with shore power can have a higher chance of issues if not installed correctly. If the boat lived its life on a trailer it will likely have no problems.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Re: corrosion - have you guys had any experience repainting the zolatone finish?

Zolotone will be hard to match if it’s the specaled. Have have done it once and got close but not perfect

I don’t know forsure but I think you could do by hand with a palm sander

This is true but not everyone does a great job with maintenance. With metal boats this is one thing i check for when buying used

Moorage in a hot marina can make a mess quickly. Also boats with shore power can have a higher chance of issues if not installed correctly. If the boat lived its life on a trailer it will likely have no problems.

any aluminium boat stored on a trailer can have huge issues if sitting on a trailer with carpet bunks. even more so if the bunks under the carpet have been pressure treated. always look where the bunks sit as this is a corrosion point..

any aluminium boat stored on a trailer can have huge issues if sitting on a trailer with carpet bunks. even more so if the bunks under the carpet have been pressure treated. always look where the bunks sit as this is a corrosion point..

I always have plastic covers over the bunks this will eliminate any trouble. Lots of new aluminum boats come with trailers already rigged with bunk slides

Yes, lots of little things and quick improvements, PM me and I'll send you some suggestions

Back