Getting your dog in and out of the boat question

Steve95

I am about to get a new deep V aluminum boat, Hewes or Kingfisher around 21'. There is no readily accessible dock at the launch I will likely be using and I'm wondering how anyone else deals with this, I'm sure some of you like to take your dog. 75lb lab, so it's not like I can put her under my arm as I climb in and out over the bow, and I'm not getting any younger (60's) Only thing I can think is to build a ramp at home and put her in the cab before I drive to the launch. Anyone have a solution that makes life easier. Thanks

My lab can climb a ladder, put a ladder up to the swimgrid before launch?
It's a lab, throw a bikkie into the boat and watch the lab fly?
Put a bikkie on every step of the ladder?

Last summer I was visiting an old pal who lives on McIvor Lake, up past the gate at the end of the road.

As I arrived he asked if I'd go across to the little island out front and retrieve his dog Manny.

Manny is a Rottweiler and looks like Godzilla Unchained but is as friendly as can be and loves to swim over and play with the kids of the people who own the island.

So I rowed over in Tom's 12" tinny, using oars from a Zodiac, and ended up bow straight on to the small dock where everyone and Manny were hanging out.

Despite much urging, the brandishing of a biscuit, several muttered curses and a complete selection of implorations, Manny refused to board the boat.

Buddy on the dock grabs Manny from behind and hoists him into the front of the tinny where he slides down on his back under the front seat so that his rear legs are on my side of the seat while his front legs and his massive grinning face are on the other side of the seat.

One of the funniest sights ever and me with no camera.

Now I couldn't lift Manny up from inside the boat so I rowed back to the dock and Buddy hauled him out and put him on the other side of the seat.

All was saved.

And then we arrived back at Tom's beach where I rowed the tinny right up to the shore and commanded Manny to get out.

Manny wouldn't move, let alone attempt to get out.

Tom called him.

I pleaded with him.

We cajoled him.

We muttered bad words about him, but he would not get out of the boat.

"Over here," Tom said, so I rowed over next to a bit of a rock wall he'd pointed at.

"Hang on and I'll tip the boat so he can walk out," Tom said.

I did and Tom did and Manny finally walked out along the now flat path created when you tip a boat almost over.

Dumb dog!!

I have no advice for you.

Sorry.

Take care.RSCN4960.JPG

Can you build a ramp at home, load her in and then tie her in safely for the road trip and launch?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, some good ideas. I didn't get the boat yet but a ramp for the back of the pickup or possibly the motor brkt sounds like it might work. I also found another marina today that has a dock and possibly even moorage, so may end up being a non issue. Still, good to hear about some options as I don't have much experience with this and this dog has never been in a boat either. The way she is when she sees water, I may have more issues with her jumping in the water so was planning on getting one of those flotation vests with handles on, just in case.

Wow-- just what you need to keep the otters out of the boat!!!!! (and perps ! )

From the water, if she can get her paws unto your splashwell, grab her by the scruff of the neck and pull. She'll do the rest. Not great if you have back issues but if she decides to go for a swim, ie sees a duck, a stick ,whatever, this method might help in a pinch. Mine got to the point he'd paddle until I got close then he'd put his paws up on the transom waiting to get yanked onboard.

Gong Show, mine would climb ladders but kept hurting the base of his tail on the previous step. I just avoided them as the moaning from a Lab that can't wag its' tail is pitiful.

I know she swims good but my wife is pretty insistent that I get here a vest anyway. The plan is to keep her in the boat. A lake and I wouldn't be so bothered but as it's the ocean, there are a lot of seal/sea lions and whales in the area and I don't want her to become lunch

I have a 110 lb Golden Retriever. I get my boat in the water and beach the bow. From shore I've got him trained when i tap the bow with my hand he gets on his hind legs and puts his front paws on the edge of the bow. I lift him the rest of the way up by his butt. Takes a bit of muscle but works.

I have a 110 lb Golden Retriever. I get my boat in the water and beach the bow. From shore I've got him trained when i tap the bow with my hand he gets on his hind legs and puts his front paws on the edge of the bow. I lift him the rest of the way up by his butt. Takes a bit of muscle but works.
Might be a bit too rocky for that but will see how high it is once I get it. The new deep vee boat is bigger than my last lake boat so might be too high.

https://dogonwaterramp.com/

A little spendy but a pretty cool idea. Was gonna get one last year for our dog but ended up just hauling him up by the lifejacket. he's only 55lbs so maybe a little easier than your lab.
No kidding. Lots of money for what it is. Not really what I was after. I was more after a loading plan getting her in the boat at the ramp with no dock, while keeping her dry. I think I can pull her onto the ET pretty easily from the water. Thanks though

How about a 2 foot wide piece of plywood 6 -8 feet long with 2 strips of 2x2 for side support and a carpet runner for traction makes a good ramp.

Back