2018 Gulf Island Reports

Porlier did nothing for us today. Released 7 undersized (all in the 18 to 22 inch range) and approx 12 flounder (bottom bouncing) but nothing of size. Will try Tent tomorrow at some point and hope there is another 10 over lingering around there.

There is a few around Tent. The bite was early morning then died off. We weren’t the only guys who got fish there. You don’t need to drag bottom. We tried Porlier in the afternoon but just a few unders. Lots of boats and action on the decks but no nets out lol.

Just checked out the regs for tent tomorrow was going to go out, and I see it now says non retention for area 17-6, anyone know what this is about or when it came into effect, or am I mis-reading something?

Just checked out the regs for tent tomorrow was going to go out, and I see it now says non retention for area 17-6, anyone know what this is about or when it came into effect, or am I mis-reading something?
Interesting ... don’t think you are missing anything. They appear to have changed the text in a previously issued and prior dated regulation and did not issue a new and newly dated regulation. Holding back and not typing what I really want to type about that.

Made it out today for some prawning despite the wind which finally settled down at around 1 and it started to flatten out, managed 359 prawns between 2 people, and unfortunately didn't do any fishing as tent is apparently non-retention all of a sudden, great day on the water though, it was starting to feel like summer out there with the sun shining!

Where do u find non retention in the regs for 17-6 ? I am not seeing it but dfo site is never user friendly in my mind . Glad to hear about the prawns , has anyone had luck with crabbing ? Bear point seems to have no luck for me the last year . Thanks in advance .

598652AA-C8D8-42EC-B6AE-9F211E741948.png
Where do u find non retention in the regs for 17-6 ? I am not seeing it but dfo site is never user friendly in my mind . Glad to hear about the prawns , has anyone had luck with crabbing ? Bear point seems to have no luck for me the last year . Thanks in advance .

Here is the newest Regs... not sure when they snuck this in but there is a few areas in area 17 closed now.

I put a request in to look into it. I think it is a mistake personally, and if so there seems no justification/warning why it is closed. Usually a change like would have announcement. You can see it was updated on Feb 8th.

Bear point has been bad for us for 6 months now. I'm not sure what has happened to all the crab. Friends who crab further north towards ladysmith state the same results there

Dates are for license year, so when it states until October 15th, that is referring to last year I believe. If I'm wrong you can say someone of sfbc led you astray.

Limited experience fishing porlier/thrasher this time of year, looking to make the run Saturday . Any reports from recent at either?

Limited experience fishing porlier/thrasher this time of year, looking to make the run Saturday . Any reports from recent at either?
thrasher was decent but that was awhile ago now, both should be holding some fish! good luck let us know how you make out!

Out prawning today it was another super nice day on the water! Prawning was slower today then it has been the last couple months for us but we still did pretty good! trolled at tent for about an hour marked lots of bait around 100ft but didn't get any action in the short time we were there. We watched a log boom go between tent island escape reef through all the prawn traps and through all the guys trying to troll, Ive never seen them go between there before, luckily we saw it coming and went for our traps, but I'd imagine several people lost some traps today :(:(

I was out at tent today too. Saw that log boom too. Dont think he hit any traps. I pulled one that would of been close tho. No fish today

Hit the Grande today ... earliest we've been out ... usually don't get out until late April but figured ... what the hell ... the conditions were screaming give it a whirl. Caught two keepers ... both between 6 and 7 pounds ... and one little guy who released himself 10 ft from the boat. All hits on a #3 Kingfisher Harbor Chandler 2017 Custom #1 behind a Chili Pepper flasher ... everything else we threw down didn't get a sniff.

Saw a couple other boats with nets out. Might have to make mid March the new beginning of our season ... lol.

Hi I am new to this forum. I am hoping to get back on the water soon. Any idea what the crabbing is like around either Crofton or Cowichan Bay area is like at the moment. I have heard it has not been all that great. Also what is the prawning like around the area. I was going to try around Arbutus Point area.

There seemed to be lots of fish caught around the Gulf Islands last year in April/May but this thread has been pretty quiet this year. Has anyone had any luck around Tent or Porlier lately? I’m thinking of heading up there from Victoria tomorrow, but it’s a long haul if there’s not much happening?

Back