Emergency SFAB Meetings About Proposed SRKW Fishing Closures

Area 20 is one thing but Area 18 anglers really need to pay attention to what is coming up! If you think fishing regulations are bad now the entire side of Pender bluffs has been potentially marked for closure as an Orca forage area from May to Oct. That really will impact the Cowichan Bay/Sidney anglers in the area. Many fish there in August because all the inlet , Cow bay, Narrows, Sat Channel, etc are closed due to Cowichan River salmon restrictions. A lot of pain is going to be felt in this area in particular. If you fish around Pender island I would try to go to one of these meetings.
Yes, it essentially kills any attempt at catching anything from any of the runs passing through. No Coho,Sockeye or even Pinks!

Like I said I would speak up at the meetings. There is significant hardship already in 18 in the summer, and that will make things a lot worse with a complete shutdown along Pender corridor.

There won't be much options for Cowichan Bay anglers after July when the Cowichan Chinook restrictions go into effect. Most do go there in Aug. as alternative since the inlet is closed.

It isn't going to be just area 20 hardest hit. Some other spots along gulf islands are proposed as well as mainland.

Last edited:
I agree if you fish out of Sidney you’re pretty much SOL. Given the current annual restrictions that are already in place in 18and19, there will be nothing left. These areas are already pretty much amongst,if not,most regulated areas on the coast.

Thank derby between this and the halibut we all need to band together more than ever for our and our kids future to take to the water for a day of fishing

unfortunately there looks like some more pain coming ... I'm hoping not but we w ill see :(

It looks like they want to shut down Renfrew to Pender and the mouth of the Fraser from Vancouver to point Roberts
http://sportfishing.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/SRKW-Discussion-Paper-Final-Feb-15-2018.pdf

No that isn't the case. Some areas are proposed to be quiet zones, and others would remain open. I would go to the meetings above for more clarification. That document is the proposal you guys keep sharing around. That is how I understood it listening to webinar yesterday. We need to give or feedback, and being at the meetings would be an excellent time to that.

That is why I gave my feedback above on Area 18 as an example. I would really like to see some anglers in our area not just Area 20 show up and voice what I said there. Each area is different and DFO needs to hear from everyone on the potential impact to any fishing closure in each area.

Last edited:
No that isn't the case. Some areas are proposed to be quiet zones. I would go to the meetings above for more clarification.
It looks pretty much closed to me except areas 20.1 and 20.5 I will try to make it to a meeting, but I am already quite booked up this week

Proposed Management Measures
: For this area, an experimental approach is proposed with salmon fishing or fin fish closures proposed for Subareas 20 3 and 20 4 from May 1 to September 30. Monitoring is planned to compare SRKW foraging behaviour in these areas with the adjacent Subareas 20 1 and 20 5, which will remain open to fin fish.

Proposed salmon fishing or fin fish closure in Subareas 18 2, 18 4, 18-5 and 18 9 from May 1 to September 30.

Proposed Management Measures
: For this area, salmon fishing or fin fish closures are proposed for Subareas 29 6, 29 7, 29 9, 29 10 and 29 12 from May 1 to Sept. 30.

You know it might be a coincidence,but by shutting these areas down, it would make life a lot easier for the whale watchers, if it leads to whales congregating closer in? Think about it shorter run from Vancouver or Victoria, more consistent sightings! Will be interesting to dig into the background of those who came up with this plan.

No that isn't the case. Some areas are proposed to be quiet zones, and others would remain open. I would go to the meetings above for more clarification. That document is the proposal you guys keep sharing around. That is how I understood it listening to webinar yesterday. We need to give or feedback, and being at the meetings would be an excellent time to that.

That is why I gave my feedback above on Area 18 as an example. I would really like to see some anglers in our area not just Area 20 show up and voice what I said there. Each area is different and DFO needs to hear from everyone on the potential impact to any fishing closure in each area.

Are there ant meetings planned for the Cowichan Valley?

Here is the link to info on the DFO Proposed SRKW Protection Areas courtesy of the SVIAC website:

https://anglerscoalition.com/emergency-sfab-meetings/

If you are not a member of SVIAC or need to renew now is the time. SVIAC is working hard for SVI anglers but we need strength in numbers of members and $ to effectively lobby the govt. on behalf of the rec sector.

Join/re join here: https://anglerscoalition.com/
I am a member of SVIAC I am wondering why an email hasn't been sent out to all the members yet? I dont mean to slag the executive, but this is important.

I am a member of SVIAC I am wondering why an email hasn't been sent out to all the members yet? I dont mean to slag the executive, but this is important.

Good point. I imagine such a letter will be forthcoming. Why not email SVIAC directly about this - it’d probably be more effective. If you have the time you could also ask them if they need any help. Now’s the time to start working together more then ever.

You know it might be a coincidence,but by shutting these areas down, it would make life a lot easier for the whale watchers, if it leads to whales congregating closer in? Think about it shorter run from Vancouver or Victoria, more consistent sightings! Will be interesting to dig into the background of those who came up with this plan.
Make sure you send in your thoughts, the whale watching group is getting off scott free. I am mentioning this in my response, and giving them my name address and telephone number to help me set up a monitoring station at my house if they want me to record the **** i see those aholes pulling when chasing the whales all over the water, 100 meters my butt try under 100 ft it is disgusting. Band together my brothers (am i allowed to say that or will Turdo shut this site down) speak now or forever be bent over the barrel

First they came for areas 20, 18 and 29...

All salt water sporties need to be heard on this right away.

Next year it could be my local fishing spot.

Make sure you send in your thoughts, the whale watching group is getting off scott free. I am mentioning this in my response, and giving them my name address and telephone number to help me set up a monitoring station at my house if they want me to record the **** i see those aholes pulling when chasing the whales all over the water, 100 meters my butt try under 100 ft it is disgusting. Band together my brothers (am i allowed to say that or will Turdo shut this site down) speak now or forever be bent over the barrel

Just remember the a-holes you speak of have put up some major funding for net pen project in Sooke that SVIAC started. They aren't our enemies. They are extremely organized. Anyone who attended meeting in Vic a few months ago with the president of the association understand they want the same thing as us. This group also has been doing some data already on their footprint with noise pollution, protocols etc. .

Or all of our fishing spots....

It's coming, it will come with the renegotiated PST or it will come when they realise that just shutting down thoes areas is not affecting the overall abundance. Then they will make some cost wide changes and still when it has no effect they may look at all the First Nations nets but I doubt it.

Anyone get a copy of the webinar?

Back