Things to do with crab

Kinda like shrimp. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, crab-kabobs, crab creole, crab gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple crab, lemon crab, coconut crab, pepper crab, crab soup, crab stew, crab salad, crab and potatoes, crab burger, crab sandwich..... That- that's about it.

have a serious surplus of chelled dungie at the moment, looking to see what people do with their crab other than the usual eat it straight up, or crab cakes .
adanac: My wife makes crab quiche and crab crepes with shelled crap. The crab quiche is pretty quick and easy to make as long as she has frozen pie shells ready in the freezer. The crepes are a lot more work but are so good when she makes them (usually only when we have company for dinner).
You can freeze the crab for use later for the above as follows:
- fill a sandwich baggie half to two thirds full
- leave middle of zip seal open, fold seal lip over and slide sealing end headfirst down vacuum bag
-seal in foodsaver or other vacuum bag.
By doing this way the foodsaver will not suck all the juices out of the crab as they will be trapped in the sandwich bag and not get sucked to the vacuum bag seal or beyond. The sealed crab will keep several months for use in cooked dishes like above.
...Rob

Thanks RH I have tried a number of freezing methods and have settled on this one. Shell the crab keeping as much of the juice as possible. Press the meat down into the round glass pyrex type freezer containers. Buy the ones with the red silicon lids with the clear plastic center, not the cheaper ones with the harder plastic lid which do not seal well and cracks with use - available from Can. Tire. If necessary to keep the crab covered add a very small amount of water and sea salt so that the crab meat is covered with a slight film of liquid. Then press plastic cling wrap on top of the meat and up the inside of the container but don't let the cling wrap interfere with the lid sealing area. Finally put on the silicon lid and press down in the centre while lifting an edge to burp it and freeze. The silicon lids are air tight.

I have had good results for up to a year and not just for crab cakes etc. It will never be as good as fresh shelled, but still very good on a salad or even on crackers with a little seafood sauce. You may have to drain a little of the liquid before use depending on how much there is.

Last edited:
What is it called when you have a 10" bread bowl hollowed out and choped for dipping into crab /cream cheese /salsa/peppers sour cream in the bowl .I like that,I need the recipe.

Crab Melt. Sprinkle crab onto a piece of toast, shredded cheese on top then broil in oven to melt cheese.
Crab Omelet is another easy one.
My fav is BBQ Steak n mushrooms ,crab with garlic butter.

Mmm crab, steak and mushrooms. Doesn’t get any better than that.

Unless you have crab, steak, mushrooms and 6 grilled prawns

Last edited:
Back