2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Was out there on Saturday breaking in a motor but had the sounder on looking for bait. I covered a lot of water and didn't see much.

There isn't much bait, but surprisingly there are some fish.
more shakers than quality fish.
A buddy of mine caught a 16 lb spring on saturday

First run yjis year. Testing the boat and dragging the balls in about 120 ft . Brochie to Esquimalt and no love. The DFO guy at the Flemming dock only reported one keeper about 7-8 lbs. Nice day on the water if you stayed in close. Couple of nice crabs to put icing on the cake. I missed the boys at the launch as I need a new membership. FYI it is $60 this year and not $50 if your bringing cash. Bring on the fish 2018!!

First run yjis year. Testing the boat and dragging the balls in about 120 ft . Brochie to Esquimalt and no love. The DFO guy at the Flemming dock only reported one keeper about 7-8 lbs. Nice day on the water if you stayed in close. Couple of nice crabs to put icing on the cake. I missed the boys at the launch as I need a new membership. FYI it is $60 this year and not $50 if your bringing cash. Bring on the fish 2018!!

Was out Monday as well off waterfront. Pretty slow with 3 shakers and a 3ft dogfish but no keepers.
Couldn't have asked for a nicer day & I think I got a bit of a tan lol.
No fish pic but here is my kit for the day.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 200
Out for a trip around Constance on Wednesday, not a sniff; then came in to the Dallas Road waterfront. Fished 120 to 150 ft. depth with a rod at 90 and another at 110. Coyote on the 90 not a sniff; a short white/UV squirt on a short 24" leader on the 110 and had 2 bites then finally a hook up. However lost it to a seal, at least he left me with my lure. I figure that the squirt looked like shrimp. Pretty chilly out there.

Any action out there? I've seen some boats out on the waterfront. I've been outa country last week but looking forward to getting that skunk off my boat. Wished I could've gotten out today as Looks like wind may move in.

First time out since Oct went off waterfront at 10:00 Mcauley to flagpole and back. One bite, one 4lb on cop car combo. Got tired of being bounced around so came in at 2

Didn't. Launched out of Esquimalt. Only ran the main motor for about 5 mins. Why, was Oak Bay good today?

Tried off waterfront this afternoon 12-4, was a beautiful day but the fish weren't hungry. Was excited to try some new lures I got from down south so at least they got wet. Was a few boats out and a few fish caught, another was sealed and a Hali guy went to Race Rocks to get skunked. Looks like I'll need to get up earlier to get the morning bite in the cold.

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0173-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Areas 19 and 20: Chinook Recreational Fishery Management Actions

Effective dates: immediately until 23:59 hours June 15, 2018

Waters: Subareas 19-1 to 19-4; and, Subareas 20-4 to 20-7(those waters near
Victoria between Cadboro Point to Sombrio Point.).

Management measures: You may retain two (2) Chinook salmon per day. These
Chinook may be either:
- wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm; or
- hatchery marked greater than 67 cm in length.
- The minimum size limit in these waters is 45 cm in length.

In light of conservation concerns for Fraser Chinook and consideration of
additional management actions, further changes could be considered for the 2018
fishery. Updates will be provided as required.

Variation order 2018-113.

20 dogfish for us today...4-5 were big mamas...had 2 other fish on that weren't dogs but got off half way up. Lots of bait on the bottom passing under us all morning in 280 ft of water

Back