Halibut opening

Well, being from the US in WA I know next to nothing about the SFAB & other important stuff on this issue.

I highly doubt it is within the job description for SFAB or DFO to take any input/direction from anything posted on this forum. Therefore I think it best to start attending SFAB meetings.

I highly doubt there will be any success/progress on this issue BEFORE exhausting all reasonable attempts to work this issue thru the chain of command; putting things in writing, documenting dates & events.

My two cents. The selected few, that got gifted quota do not fish it mostly. They lease it out. The working stiff who chooses to give leasing it a go does so, but is bound by market conditions, as the season goes on, markets fill, demand drops, and the working leasee is faced with tighter budgets, and eventually has to say, after paying the man is portion for the leased quota and his bills, the profit margin does not outweigh the risks of fishing. Hence the large poundage of commercial TAC left in the water. That combined with the fact that guides and general public have become exceedingly better and better at catching there own halibut, means we do not buy very much at the grocery store, further driving down the demand for the joe renting quota to go risk a further market price drop.

Now if I happened to be that guy who owned and rented out my gifted quota, I would not be all that happy leaving all those free dollars in the water year after year. I would put some very serious thought into how I could utilize my unrealized pounds while continuing to do nothing for it. One way possible way would be to lobby govt and regulate the sport sector, ensuring that is exceedingly harder and harder to get slot halibut and harder to put up with all the bull ****, possibly keeping the demand in the market place so my gift keeps on giving. And another way I wood pursue is to just simply find a way to sell my unrealized pounds! Make it so everyone fights and argues, and create an experimental program so everyone buys it! That would work too.

I am very happy to see guides and lodges denounce the purchase of quota, for the most part, that is a slippery slope. I hope everyone can stay focused on the whys and how’s.

Yes he does.

Except for this part
"
I am very happy to see guides and lodges denounce the purchase of quota, for the most part, that is a slippery slope. I hope everyone can stay focused on the whys and how’s.

Too many lodges, guides and now Rec fisherman are buying in to this corrupt system.

SomecLodges charging clients for pounds on the hook and paying for quota by the pounds of meat. Pocketing the extra cash.

what do you expect the only thing worse is the stupid slot limit we have been sucked into , there is no going back now

wavetamer..nothing could be farther from the truth. When it comes to halibut DFO pretty much goes with the recommendations put forward by the SFAB main board. We have an amount of TAC each year and we decide how we will catch it without going over. The fight is not about slot sizes it is about the portion of the overall TAC we get to work with each year. If we get more TAC from trom the minister or if abundance allows more TAC we will see retarictions eased or eliminated.

Profisher... don't waste your breath on wavetamer..troll or someone who has been throw off the forum or someone else 2nd user name...............

Yes he does.

Except for this part
"

Too many lodges, guides and now Rec fisherman are buying in to this corrupt system.

SomecLodges charging clients for pounds on the hook and paying for quota by the pounds of meat. Pocketing the extra cash.
From what I gather guides or lodges get the boot out of the SFI and that’s not a good thing for them.

Do you have any proof of any of them doing this? Let’s call them out!
As far as rec fishers buying quota I would be surprised someone would pay that kind of money for a big halibut.

From what I gather guides or lodges get the boot out of the SFI and that’s not a good thing for them.

Do you have any proof of any of them doing this? Let’s call them out!
As far as rec fishers buying quota I would be surprised someone would pay that kind of money for a big halibut.

Just Hearsay so I should probably not start rumors. Just easy to get hot under the collar about this Experimental Program which is wrong in so many ways and IMO one of our biggest issues in this whole allocation fight. As long as it exists we have accepted it and it is solving slipper skipper issue, not our issue.

The 2017 XRQ fishery has reallocated 7,455 net pounds of quota (as of December 11, 2017) from the commercial groundfish fisheries, and has carried over 3,832 net pounds of uncaught quota from the 2016 season (Table 3). Reallocations into and out of the XRQ fishery are permitted until January 31, 2018. Any uncaught quota may be reallocated back to the commercial fishery or it may be carried over into the 2018 XRQ fishery (the greater of the 200 net pounds or 10% of the total quota on the licence).
Additional details about the XRQ program are available online: http://www.pac.dfo- mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/commercial/ground-fond/index-eng.html

Yes he does.

Except for this part
"

very few, and those who are, are doing it on the down low, those that we know,are boycotted.

Profisher... don't waste your breath on wavetamer..troll or someone who has been throw off the forum or someone else 2nd user name...............

That’s right. Anyone who disagrees is a troll or same person. Insert eyeroll here.

Don’t get me wrong, what he said didn’t make much sense, but that’s the exact typical
Response to anyone who disagrees with those on the board and that’s a part of the problem RIGHT THERE! (Definitely not most of the problem but 100% part of it. Most of problem is we get 15% and that’s it). #anyonethatdisagreesdoesnt”getit”

And again were chucking rocks at the board.

I thought we we discussing ideas. SerengetiGuide if you want to discuss play nice. Or else the thread will go silent. That also goes for the others on here.

Haven't you noticed many aren't posting anymore. It is because of comments like that. Carry on.

Just out of curiosity, what is the going price to buy the TAC from the commercial's? What is the going price paid to commercials in BC? Having been on a commercial trip with my neighbor I have an idea of what the TAC is worth We caught 5K pounds of fish @ $2lb equals $10K. He got half that. I imagine his expenses were at least $2.5K Starts looking like buying TAC is worth about 25% of the price paid to a commercial fisher.

Next question would be if the commercials are leaving uncaught TAC.

Based on that answer, next question is just what is going on here? Pattison or whoever the guy that owns all this TAC can afford to leave uncaught TAC, but what's his end game?

As far as SFAB/DFO, I am sure what profisher says is true and that most of the input from SFAB comes from guides & lodges. They regs favor them; long, predictable season, 1/2 limit encourages anglers to take multi day trips. I am fine with that I catch 3 or so a year; still have some in the freezer.
Looks to me that those that are unhappy are out to fill the freezer but not motivated enough to do anything about it.

Not much to say but sadly watching our opportunities disappear.:(

Just Hearsay so I should probably not start rumors. Just easy to get hot under the collar about this Experimental Program which is wrong in so many ways and IMO one of our biggest issues in this whole allocation fight. As long as it exists we have accepted it and it is solving slipper skipper issue, not our issue.
Sorry if it came across that i was accusing you of anything.

We all hate that DFO is trying to ram this ******** down our throats. If there is any evidence of a guide or lodge buying quota they need to exposed for what they are.
I heard a rumour that someone in our town that tied up at a different dock had bought some quota but was shamed so badly he never used any.

Back