I finally did it... Bought a boat!!

Can you give us an idea what the ferry costs will be to drag a boat across? Would like to do it myself but I think the cost is a bit prohibitive. Wonder if they have the discounted Wednesday or Saturday fares? I'm kinda doubting it but not sure.

Can you give us an idea what the ferry costs will be to drag a boat across? Would like to do it myself but I think the cost is a bit prohibitive. Wonder if they have the discounted Wednesday or Saturday fares? I'm kinda doubting it but not sure.

Stay tuned... I am booking the ferry next week. I have been waiting for my boat trailer to get delivered so I can find out the length. I know it will be pricey. My guess is ~$1300 - $1500 each way. Its a dream trip & makes it easier to swallow the cost. I just consider what it cost to do a fly in charter for 3 days of fishing. Now I have 2 weeks to fish at my own pace & explore the way I have always wanted to.

I took the family to Disney Land for a week last year & this trip should still work out to be cheaper than that...

My goals for this trip, which I have spent a decade dreaming about are as follows:

- Catch a lingcod over 50lbs. Target deep pinnacles ~500-700' using LARGE baits. I have spots picked on the west side of the island

- Catch Sable Fish using my electric reel. Fish 1700-2200' of water.

- Hopefully get into some grey cod while fishing the depths

- Anchor up beside my favorite hole out of Masset harbour & hang live bait (either live herring or squid). I call it "The Pen". Its a small pinnacle that comes out of the water that is surrounded by kelp right off a rocky shore line. I caught a slab over 40# there once. instead of trolling around it all day, just shut the motor off & wait.

- Catch Prawns...

- Show my family the best trip of their lives

Stay tuned... I am booking the ferry next week. I have been waiting for my boat trailer to get delivered so I can find out the length. I know it will be pricey. My guess is ~$1300 - $1500 each way. Its a dream trip & makes it easier to swallow the cost. I just consider what it cost to do a fly in charter for 3 days of fishing. Now I have 2 weeks to fish at my own pace & explore the way I have always wanted to.

I took the family to Disney Land for a week last year & this trip should still work out to be cheaper than that...

My goals for this trip, which I have spent a decade dreaming about are as follows:

- Catch a lingcod over 50lbs. Target deep pinnacles ~500-700' using LARGE baits. I have spots picked on the west side of the island

- Catch Sable Fish using my electric reel. Fish 1700-2200' of water.

- Hopefully get into some grey cod while fishing the depths

- Anchor up beside my favorite hole out of Masset harbour & hang live bait (either live herring or squid). I call it "The Pen". Its a small pinnacle that comes out of the water that is surrounded by kelp right off a rocky shore line. I caught a slab over 40# there once. instead of trolling around it all day, just shut the motor off & wait.

- Catch Prawns...

- Show my family the best trip of their lives

you seen this? I think there are 11 or more days on youtube.

you seen this? I think there are 11 or more days on youtube.

Yes I have many times! These videos are what made me want to bring my family to Haida Gwaii.

I just bought a fairly well equipped 2009 Boulton Sea Skiff, and I have still put over $1,000 in to it with new starter, IAC valve, surge brake and a bunch of other stuff. I guess there is a lot of truth tot he old BOAT acronym. I wouldn't trade it for nothing though. Cant wait to see it all come together. Do you come over to the island?
I bet that’s a nice boat too. Have any pics? Putting 1k into a boat when you get it is nothing. I bought a double eagle that was “fishing ready” and have put 10k into it in less than a year. Only about 5k left to do this year hahaha. @Gham good thing you haven’t had to spend any on yours yet. (Sarcasm)

My father has the same boat you have except he still has the 115. He's had it two years now, and loves it.

I have the Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 - the one size up, and I love it. The only upgrade I want to do is buy one of those shock absorbing seats (shockwave) because I'm missing a disc in my lower back and sometimes the pounding bothers it.

Those shock absorber seats are the cats a55. Used them for the first time last year & no way I could go with out now. Definitely worth the price

Aren’t the shockwaves around $2-3000? That’s worth the money?

I know happy hooker mounted his seats to the princess auto tractor suspension seat base. Seems like a more cost efficient option at around $70-100 per seat. Obviously not as much bling as fox shocks and stainless hardware, but seems like a good cheap upgrade.i just put one in my forklift and it seems like it would be fine on a boat

Aren’t the shockwaves around $2-3000? That’s worth the money?

I know happy hooker mounted his seats to the princess auto tractor suspension seat base. Seems like a more cost efficient option at around $70-100 per seat. Obviously not as much bling as fox shocks and stainless hardware, but seems like a good cheap upgrade.i just put one in my forklift and it seems like it would be fine on a boat

Oh man, the are not that much. Below is the link. It's still pricey at $600/seat but in my opinion worth it. I agree that if you can put a tractor seat on your boat for a fraction of the cost you are winning. As long as they don't launch you out of the seat on the up spring.

The Shockwave module is $1200-1250, depends where you get it. I ordered two for my boat but am only relying on the awesome reviews and references from fellas on this forum. I also watched the Shockwave YouTube series when they went from Newfoundland across the NW Passage back to Victoria. Pretty amazing story. The Corbin seats they sell are what’s crazy expensive. The seat alone is around $2000. Out of my price range...

Got the Internet special price for a base. $900 + tax and pump it was $1100 . Used my original seat with a swivel bracket. Cost me $80 to get my aluminum seat riser cut down by 6 " so I was not sitting too high. Good to go if the weather would just cooperate.

Oh man, the are not that much. Below is the link. It's still pricey at $600/seat but in my opinion worth it. I agree that if you can put a tractor seat on your boat for a fraction of the cost you are winning. As long as they don't launch you out of the seat on the up spring.

They don't launch you, they have shocks in them for dampening. $100 each with shipping, starting my 4th season on tractor seats.

They don't launch you, they have shocks in them for dampening. $100 each with shipping, starting my 4th season on tractor seats.

Thats a smart way to do it then.

I was mistaken on my pricing. I was thinking about the shockwave seat that is for sale on here for $2400 but most of those cost are the seat itself, and not just the base.

Having owned a 2004 22' Searunner et 150 yammie for 12 years the first thing I would invest in is Trim Tabs. I installed a pair after 6 years of ownership and they turned my boat into a more stable platform and made the boat feel 2 feet longer. The boat handled a lot smoother in chop and waves.

Having owned a 2004 22' Searunner et 150 yammie for 12 years the first thing I would invest in is Trim Tabs. I installed a pair after 6 years of ownership and they turned my boat into a more stable platform and made the boat feel 2 feet longer. The boat handled a lot smoother in chop and waves.

I have been thinking about trim tabs. Appreciate the feed back. What was the cost?

I bet that’s a nice boat too. Have any pics? Putting 1k into a boat when you get it is nothing. I bought a double eagle that was “fishing ready” and have put 10k into it in less than a year. Only about 5k left to do this year hahaha. @Gham good thing you haven’t had to spend any on yours yet. (Sarcasm)

Yup! My $2500 boat is approaching $21,000 in equipment being added! I think I’m averaging about $2k a day into it at the moment!

Back