Thieves in Coombs steal Yama kicker

I had the Fulton outboard lock installed when they stole my kicker several years ago. The assholes put a prybar of some type between the the lock and the transom and broke the handles off, then I guess they used vise grips to unscrew the bolts.

That's what I have and I thought I was good to go. Now, I am going to have to give it a second look. I am thinking of bolting it to the transom as an added measure of protection.

Bolts through the transom and tack weld the nuts on. If someone wants it bad enough there is nothing you can do to stop them. So far my bolts and welded nuts have done good.

I take my Yamaha 9.9 off my boat every year in Oct. and put it back on in the spring. At least I know it is safe from these thieving Ba$tards for some time of the year. I also bolt it thru the transom. Never stop them totally, but at least it slows them down a bit and makes it so it is not a nice fast steal.

The boat stays in the water for the season. The 1st thing we do after pulling the boat for the winter is remove the kicker along with anything else of value. If its not there, they can't steel it off the boat. It is a bit a work as it's full remote, but worth it.

buddy of mine is a rcmp - lower mainland-now they just steal your boat ,take a sawzall & cut.when they find them no motors-
just a f--ked up hull & trailor:eek::eek::eek:

Years ago in Comox, thieves went down the line and stole 4 outboards in one night from trailered boats to the left and right of me. They left my nice new Yamy alone. Guys came around asking why not me. I always put 3 guards on. Obvious cable lock. hidden screws into mounting bracket and best of all clamp handle cover with old rusty bolts that would frustrate the hell out of anyone trying to remove it. Look around at the safeguards others are using and make yours the hardest to steal.

Salty dawg hits it on the head if u want to leave your motor on the boat. Weld on nuts, cable locks etc.

I am looking at installing a solar mention detection light on boat and multiple locks on trailer for tounge and wheels. We are in a thieve rampact time with regular thieves and additional drug and homeless thieves in play. Our legal system and insurance don’t cover us so we need to make it harder. What are your stainless props worth when they disappear?

Some of the logging supply company supply stores and Westco in Langley sell cross link either twisted or or square link chain that is is hardened. For about 3-4$/ft you can get a good quality chain that will definitely deter thieves not equipped with a robust bolt cutter or a grinder. You need a very good lock as well. Stanley CD2284 get favourable reviews and wont break the bank. If you feel that the chain will damage your boat, you can get hydraulic hose covers in any length you need. Unfortunately wire cables, the plastic cable covered type at least, succumb to a set of bolt cutters very easily, while the hardened steel chain, usually require a grinder with all the related noise and sparks that should alert someone.

Some of the logging supply company supply stores and Westco in Langley sell cross link either twisted or or square link chain that is is hardened. For about 3-4$/ft you can get a good quality chain that will definitely deter thieves not equipped with a robust bolt cutter or a grinder. You need a very good lock as well. Stanley CD2284 get favourable reviews and wont break the bank. If you feel that the chain will damage your boat, you can get hydraulic hose covers in any length you need. Unfortunately wire cables, the plastic cable covered type at least, succumb to a set of bolt cutters very easily, while the hardened steel chain, usually require a grinder with all the related noise and sparks that should alert someone.

See here:
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?posts/858066

Anything that slows them down helps. But determined thieves just simply can't be stopped and that's sadly why we all need insurance. My buddy's friends in port Alberni had blown out a tire and left his roof on the side of the road to go to town and get it fixed. He came back and thieves had taken his main motor. How did they do it? He had a glass boat and they just chainsawed the transom. Unbelievable! They were on a time crunch and they knew what they were doing. It's not the norm but man some people have no souls.

Wow, I had heard about a few kickers being stolen but had no idea it was this bad. I guess I better put my insurance in place before I pick up my boat and motors.

Back