Half a new dinghy

I used to get my epoxy from George at Ultralux Plastics in Richmond. That was quite awhile ago and George was getting on in years.
Quick search shows an address. Worth a look if you still need supplies.
He was half the cost of any other supplier. Also gave you the straight talk about the products and usage.
Cheers

Well, back from the island...not much going on yet, just mixed up some pretty thin epoxy/wood flour and went around filling little spots around the gunnels.

But I did take a picture of our closed off "away for the weekend" rabbit run, now with eagle shield.

v2szeDE.jpg

Mostly been catching up with work since I got back to Vancouver but I managed to get a few hours in today. Slightly annoying setback: I guess there was a glue void really close to the centre brace where I epoxied the gunwales to the hull; I woke up the other morning and the rubrail was broken in two right over the centre frame.

So I cut about three feet of rubrail out, planed the surface down, cut six or eight inch scarfs into the rubrail and glued in a new section. Also taped all the inside seams which I didn't get the chance to do before I left for the cabin.

Tomorrow I'll mostly be working again but I might try to get the inside surfaces fully encapsulated. Then it'll be bulkheads, seats, and not really any way to avoid fairing, so hopefully the weather cooperates a bit.

Test fitting:

3cK9eKQ.jpg

And glued.

EzI5ucE.jpg

take baths in it for water tight test when done? lower it over the railing?

Wow, cracked rib, You may want to google how harmful exposure to epoxy resins and hardners can be. Once cured, no big deal, but until then, be very careful.
Good Luck
Stosh

take baths in it for water tight test when done? lower it over the railing?

Definitely have to get roped off the roof somehow...I live on the top two floors of this building so it might get complicated. I'm half tempted to hire a helicopter, mostly as a joke.

Wow, cracked rib, You may want to google how harmful exposure to epoxy resins and hardners can be. Once cured, no big deal, but until then, be very careful.
Good Luck
Stosh

Honestly...biggest problem is epoxy sensitivity and six ounces kicking off once in a while doesn't seem like a major threat. Usually if I have to lay out a bunch of it, I'll do it before we head out for dinner etc. But unless there's a bunch of research I've never seen, amine toxicity looks pretty low to me. I'd do things differently if my wife was pregnant but relative to anyone working on a big boat, this is pretty minimal exposure. AFAIK there's not even especially good evidence for serious risks to people using it professionally. The resin is pretty much inert and the hardener is...less inert but pretty low volatiles.

Vinylester, it ain't.

I was worried about the rabbits

truly the only innocent victims in all this

Worked all day and about to start work again now, but managed to sneak in a couple of hours before dinner. The patch is in on the rubrail. It creates a couple of extremely subtle flat spots which I think I can remove with careful planing, filling, and sanding. Very annoying though. Anyway...
5ge2bbS.jpg

Also getting the rear seat bulkhead arranged. I honestly can't remember if the plans call for the cleats or not but I think it'll just be easier this way. And the only way to find out if they're in the plans would be to read them, and that's CRAZY.

4FJbtQw.jpg

Also featured in pic 1: a common drink at the Cracked Ribs city dwelling, the Popeye Michelada. The recipe goes like this:

Pint glass rimmed with bacon salt
1 lime
2 dashes worcestershire
1 tsp chili powder
3 tbsp sriracha
1 Modelo
fill with clamato

I created this variant myself, but it wasn't until tonight that I named it the Popeye Michelada. To get the full effect, you take the sriracha out of the fridge and set it on the counter next to the stove where your wife is making dinner. Then you get the rest of the ingredients together, and when you are about to put the sriracha in, you shake it up and then get distracted by something and open it right in front of one of your eyes. The temperature change will have pressurized the bottle and blast sriracha sauce into your eye, thereby giving you a distinctive, one-eyed glare. Sailor-grade swearing is optional but recommended.

Fascinating ! Got past your wife, the rabbits ,the strata council, and neighbours!!! But we will definitely need pics of the vessel being moved out of the building !!!

Fascinating ! Got past your wife, the rabbits ,the strata council, and neighbours!!! But we will definitely need pics of the vessel being moved out of the building !!!
Yeah that's going to be really interesting. Will try for pics but it'll almost certainly be under cover of darkness.

Headway continues to be made. Front and rear bulkheads in. Interior solidly glurped with epoxy. Old beater Samsung phone takes pictures that are possibly even worse than the newer LG. One day I'll blow money on a phone. Or, more realistically, buy plywood and glue again.

ULsdWZR.jpg

Forgot to tell you how to make a steamer for your rails.
ABS pipe + fittings and a cheap kettle. Way easier to bend.
Use Gorilla Glue too. Water activates it. Sorry.
Looks Great!

Glad you're enjoying it. There's not much to report tonight; I got the last coat of epoxy on the interior and sawed up the wood for the permanent centre frame. I have been slopping epoxy on the parts for the centre seat/daggerboard trunk and I can probably start thinking about assembling more on the weekend, although it's getting to be crunch time at work and I won't have much time to do fun stuff.

Parts getting slopped:

P42DkJH.jpg

Boat interior during the process of slopping on goop. The tape joints are not actually starved, they just look that way as the result of some kind of surface albedo thing. I hate flash photography.

T7BDaMa.jpg

Ensloppination complete.

qg6D7iH.jpg

I notice that pic 2 appears to have SFBC on in the background there.

Wow, interesting !! I still can't believe you are doing fiberglass work in you home. the fumes most be getting to you and clouding your judgement.

Wow, interesting !! I still can't believe you are doing fiberglass work in you home. the fumes most be getting to you and clouding your judgement.

It has to be better than the boiled cabbage smell of most apartment hallways.

Back