Alberta Wine War Please Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
25% Alberta Gov, 25% B.C. Gov, 25% Fed Gov and 25% ownership to Chevron for running the refinery in Alberta so the oil being shipped is not raw bitumen. The ownership stakes can split the value of the upgrade over time. Everybody wins why is that so complicated?

Not complicated all, no one wants to buy refined product, customers have excess refining capacity and don't want to pay us to do it. You need not look for any deep dark conspiracy, guaranteed this idea has been had countless times all the way to JT's office.

Indeed we do and sympathize. Notley is just finding out how big a screwing over Albertans got when big oil corp and politicians became one and the same. On top of a 45 billion dollar provincial debt, big oil is in court saying the clean up for 150,000 leaking gas/oil wells is not their responsibility passing the buck over to Notley estimated could hit 8.6 billion dollars. Stockholm syndrome has a good chance of wearing off in Alberta. Notely is taking them to court stating that "Alberta needs to be protected". Seems BC just said that about BC. KM will not get built in this province. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/redw...ourt-1.4528996
150,000 leaking oil and gas wells Hola we must all be dead over hear lol. But again it's from the CBC so it must be true. No there are a few with surface gas vent leaks, note surface gas vent leaks this is similar to surface gas from a swamp but 150,000 think about that for a min would yah. Something the media and the AB government seems to leave out of the equation is the fact they collected hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollar from resource companies over the last 50 years that was supposed to be going into a slush fund for just such a thing but they squandered said dollars on other programs. Now the money is all gone and they want more from the people and companies,, sound familiar.

Get all the facts before taking what the media and what the government has fed them before making statements. Yes there is a mess of wells to clean up out here and yes the people are going to be stuck with it but this is as much the governments fault as it is the companies that have left them.

This whole mess between the provinces is bs because it's always the small companies and people that pay. Like those small wineries in BC, like the small companies waiting to get to work on that line. It's never the big companies or the politicians that pay, they all get their damn checks in the mail. Same as these paid enviro protestors get paid to disrupt our people and governments , it's a mess. There's no way I'm getting in between these two provinces I consider them both my homes. I think BC is a fantastic place and the people in it are for the most part great hard working people. We are all at the mercy of these games being played with people's livelihoods. It's sad.

This whole mess between the provinces is bs because it's always the small companies and people that pay. Like those small wineries in BC, like the small companies waiting to get to work on that line. It's never the big companies or the politicians that pay, they all get their damn checks in the mail. Same as these paid enviro protestors get paid to disrupt our people and governments , it's a mess. There's no way I'm getting in between these two provinces I consider them both my homes. I think BC is a fantastic place and the people in it are for the most part great hard working people. We are all at the mercy of these games being played with people's livelihoods. It's sad.
We want to keep BC fantastic once its spoiled everyone leaves and no one pays we have seen that movie and don't want to play that game. Check this link for a wake up call and its not from the CBC either.

What's with some of you, have you lived under a rock until 6 months ago. Is this the first piece of industry in your province, is this the first pipeline in your province, is this the first piece of infrastructure in the lower mainland. Is this line going into some pristine enviro heaven. Do you guys drive around that people infested smog hole thats the lower mainland with your eyes closed my God man. Its all city and people for a 100 miles down there. If half of those people living there actually got a breath of fresh air they'd pass out. I head out to the island every summer and I laugh my butt off at the people. The traffic on the lower mainland and lower island is sickening it's the most over populated real estate in the entire country. You have to run over someone to squeeze a vehicle in someplace and they are fighting against a pipeline in there to bring more oil in to a refinery to supply them with fuel, do you not see the irony in this my God man lol.. Some how some where in all that mess of people and congestion for some unknown reason they think they are environmentalists, Ok then lol.

But what ever I've beat this dead horse with you guys to much already, it's impossible to open your eyes it really is.

Carry on with out me,, I got holes to drill, got to keep your cars full so you can make it to the rally next week.

This forum is filled with people from south Vancouver island. Please don’t assume their values are anything like people from Vancouver or the lower mainland.

Also Notley declaaired war on a bc industry that has nothing to do with the issues at hand. She IMO made the situation way worse.

If Canadians hate anything they hate bullies and that’s what Alberta’s trying to be.

Also people in the lower mainland don’t get their fuel from Alberta. We get it from the USA.

The avg British Columbian will see no benefits from a pipe line that’s to ship oil off shore.

I personally support the pipeline because I understand the economics it means for Alberta. And how it will increase western Canadian select prices.

What's with some of you, have you lived under a rock until 6 months ago. Is this the first piece of industry in your province, is this the first pipeline in your province, is this the first piece of infrastructure in the lower mainland. Is this line going into some pristine enviro heaven. Do you guys drive around that people infested smog hole thats the lower mainland with your eyes closed my God man. Its all city and people for a 100 miles down there. If half of those people living there actually got a breath of fresh air they'd pass out. I head out to the island every summer and I laugh my butt off at the people. The traffic on the lower mainland and lower island is sickening it's the most over populated real estate in the entire country. You have to run over someone to squeeze a vehicle in someplace and they are fighting against a pipeline in there to bring more oil in to a refinery to supply them with fuel, do you not see the irony in this my God man lol.. Some how some where in all that mess of people and congestion for some unknown reason they think they are environmentalists, Ok then lol.

But what ever I've beat this dead horse with you guys to much already, it's impossible to open your eyes it really is.

Carry on with out me,, I got holes to drill, got to keep your cars full so you can make it to the rally next week.
7 x tanker traffic from that facility.
From 1 a week to 1 a day.
I'd say yes that's a big deal in my books.
Everyone also seems to be ignoring the fact that we are TRYING to wean off of our addiction to fossil fuels. Making it cheaper doesn't help that. I'm so f***ing sick of the "if you drive a car you're a hypocrite" argument. We should be trying to promote alternative energy projects. There are so many benefits, including jobs. Fighting for a small change now is a start. Maybe someday our kids will get to enjoy cheap (maybe even fast) electric boats, cars and motorcycles. Yes we need oil today, but being pioneers in changing our ways feels pretty damn good for now. I guarantee your kids kids will thank us.

150,000 leaking oil and gas wells Hola we must all be dead over hear lol. But again it's from the CBC so it must be true. No there are a few with surface gas vent leaks, note surface gas vent leaks this is similar to surface gas from a swamp but 150,000 think about that for a min would yah. Something the media and the AB government seems to leave out of the equation is the fact they collected hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollar from resource companies over the last 50 years that was supposed to be going into a slush fund for just such a thing but they squandered said dollars on other programs. Now the money is all gone and they want more from the people and companies,, sound familiar.

Get all the facts before taking what the media and what the government has fed them before making statements. Yes there is a mess of wells to clean up out here and yes the people are going to be stuck with it but this is as much the governments fault as it is the companies that have left them.

And this makes it perfectly obvious why we don’t want these kind of projects in BC. Can’t even clean up after themselves.

Last edited:

Must be doing something right? Lotta those millions(?) of people spread over those hundreds of miles(?) are tourists. Don’t have a tourist industry in Alberta?

I'd say yes that's a big deal in my books.
Everyone also seems to be ignoring the fact that we are TRYING to wean off of our addiction to fossil fuels. Making it cheaper doesn't help that. I'm so f***ing sick of the "if you drive a car you're a hypocrite" argument. We should be trying to promote alternative energy projects. There are so many benefits, including jobs. Fighting for a small change now is a start. Maybe someday our kids will get to enjoy cheap (maybe even fast) electric boats, cars and motorcycles. Yes we need oil today, but being pioneers in changing our ways feels pretty damn good for now. I guarantee your kids kids will thank us.

Hypocrisy works both ways. I find it hypocritical that someone might work in a dirty industry but love to vacation in a place like B.C. Yet they want to bring their work to the place they go to get away from it all. Just seems strange to me.

Yes we need oil today, but being pioneers in changing our ways feels pretty damn good for now. I guarantee your kids kids will thank us.

Fellas.....when you see a Bayliner (I think that is in the pic) with downriggers out and trolling away being propelled with paddles....wave as Rain City is pioneering the change. ;):p:D;)

And.....how many rail cars are carrying it now?

Two NDP governments at war....I love it.

Fellas.....when you see a Bayliner (I think that is in the pic) with downriggers out and trolling away being propelled with paddles....wave as Rain City is pioneering the change. ;):p:D;)

I only fish WITH the wind lol.

And as far as I'm concerned if transporting by train is a huge pain in the butt for them then it's a good thing. If it becomes so unaffordable for them to do so they won't keep investing in more projects. On that note, now I don't have anything to back it up, but I've heard bitumen in rail cars is some how stabilized? Lac-Mégantic aside I beleive it's safer, for the whales at least.

As you can tell I'm not winning any debates on this subject. But hey I'm entitled to my opinion right?

The BC NDP is not at war they want to understand that all the tools are in place when the spill happens, who is responcible to clean it up, what technology exists to clean it up, make sure the money to do so is there in advance as the perpretators will just go bankrupt leaving the mess for someone else (they call that bad luck in business), how will the SRKW be effected etc. Kind of like a Woodstock event where the groundskeeper might want to make sure there are porta poties included before he agrees to make a few bucks out of the deal otherwise he will ultimately have to deal with all the **** if you know what I mean.

The BC NDP is not at war they want to understand that all the tools are in place when the spill happens, who is responcible to clean it up, what technology exists to clean it up, make sure the money to do so is there in advance as the perpretators will just go bankrupt leaving the mess for someone else (they call that bad luck in business), how will the SRKW be effected etc. Kind of like a Woodstock event where the groundskeeper might want to make sure there are porta poties included before he agrees to make a few bucks out of the deal otherwise he will ultimately have to deal with all the **** if you know what I mean.

That’s in the NEB’s jurisdiction. Unless you’re suggesting the provincial governments should be given extra authority to go over their legal entitlements to protect their political agendas. Then wait for a repeat of the Balkan wars in Canada.

All of this crap show, putting Canadians against Canadians, speaks volumes to the desparation of the NDP governments on both sides of the border to get the voters cranked up. Incompetent leadership is setting a new standard. Ugly and embarrassing show to sit back and watch until one of the variables changes.

Last edited:
Incompetent leadership is setting a new standard. Ugly and embarrassing show to sit back and watch until one of the variables changes.

I think that standard was set a while back. Just saying.....

Christy Clark’s proposed tax on thermal coal would hurt Alberta, U.S.
May 2, 2017

BC Liberal Leader Christy Clark wants to slap a hefty $70-a-tonne carbon levy on exports of thermal coal from British Columbian ports, a move that would devastate producers in both the United States and Alberta while sparking a rift over interprovincial trade.

"I think in the fight against climate change, we all have a responsibility," Ms. Clark said Tuesday during campaigning for the May 9 provincial election.

She is linking her coal-levy proposal to the Trump administration's decision last week to collect countervailing duties on Canadian softwood lumber exports south of the border. British Columbia is Canada's largest lumber exporter into the United States.
The BC Liberals' decision is drawing ire in Alberta, which has clashed in the past with its western neighbour over the now-rejected Northern Gateway oil pipeline project that would have gone through British Columbia.
"It would apply to all because we don't intend to just single out American coal," said Ms. Clark, whose party is in a close race against the BC NDP led by John Horgan. Both parties are fending off a challenge in some ridings from Andrew Weaver's BC Green Party.

Robin Campbell, president of the Coal Association of Canada, lashed out at the BC Liberal Party's coal plan.

"Premier Christy Clark proposed a $70 per tonne carbon tax on all thermal coal shipments travelling through British Columbia, regardless of the point of origin," he said in a statement.
"Premier Clark's proposed thermal coal levy would not only impact our business with the United States, but it would impact thermal coal being shipped from Alberta as well." Mr. Campbell, a former Alberta environment minister, urged Ms. Clark to reconsider her party's position on what he calls an "egregious" levy. "It would be unfortunate to see these long-standing business relationships – which create jobs and economic opportunity to British Columbians, Albertans and Canadians at large – become a casualty of heated political rhetoric in the final legs of an election campaign," he said.

Ms. Clark wrote a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week, asking him to impose a ban on thermal coal exports from B.C. ports. The commodity goes into coal-fired plants to generate electricity. On Tuesday, Ms. Clark threatened to go further if Ottawa doesn't comply.
Instead of relying on Ottawa to ban thermal coal exports from B.C. ports, the BC Liberal party devised its own strategy for the province to place a carbon levy of nearly $70 a tonne on thermal coal exports. With prices for the commodity languishing around $100 a tonne, the proposed levy would render such exports uneconomic and inflict deep financial losses on producers if they chose to continue shipping overseas to Asia, industry experts say.

Cameron Ahmad, press secretary to Mr. Trudeau, said in a statement on Tuesday: "I can only comment on the Premier's earlier request to the Prime Minister: We will always consider – carefully and seriously – any request from a Premier."
Most of the thermal coal exported last year from privately owned Westshore Terminals Investment Corp.'s facility south of Vancouver originated from U.S. mines in the Powder River basin in Wyoming and Montana. By contrast, federally owned Ridley Terminals Inc. on British Columbia's north coast handled thermal coal mined in Alberta.

Ms. Clark is not targeting metallurgical (or coking) coal, a key ingredient for making steel.

Ridley, located in the Port of Prince Rupert, handled 2.2 million tonnes of thermal coal last year, accounting for 55 per cent of the coal facility's total exports. Coal Valley Resources Inc., owned by Colorado-based Westmoreland Coal Co., runs a thermal coal mine in Alberta that sends shipments via Canadian National Railway Co. for export through Ridley.
A Ridley official declined comment about Tuesday's announcement by Ms. Clark. Westshore wrote its own letter last week to Mr. Trudeau, urging him to reject Ms. Clark's request for a ban.

"Should the federal government not implement a thermal coal ban, a re-elected BC Liberal government will develop regulations under the Greenhouse Gas Industrial Reporting and Control Act to ensure all thermal coal shipped to B.C. terminals is subject to a carbon price – approximately $70 per tonne," the BC Liberal Party said in a release. "That reflects the greenhouse gas emissions caused by the extraction, processing, transportation and combustion of thermal coal through a B.C. terminal."
Last year, Westshore had almost 6.6 million tonnes of thermal coal exported from its site, or one-quarter of the terminal's total volume. The bulk of shipments of thermal coal at Westshore originated from U.S. mines, said Clark Williams-Derry, director of energy finance at the Sightline Institute, a Seattle-based environmental think tank.

With Ms. Clark is describing the carbon levy as a way for Alberta to join B.C. to help battle climate change, Mr. Williams-Derry is forecasting prohibitively costly shipments if the BC Liberals win re-election.

"A fee of this magnitude would make it financial suicide for a coal company to export to Asia from B.C.," he said.

One of the U.S. customers at Westshore is Wyoming-based Cloud Peak Energy Logistics LLC, which uses Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp.'s rail service to export through Westshore.
Coal export proposals in the United States have either been suspended by proponents, blocked by government officials or run into fierce opposition from environmentalists in the U.S. Pacific Northwest, notably in Washington state and Oregon.

The Trump administration, however, has pledged to breathe new life into the struggling American coal industry.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...tax-in-wake-of-softwood-levy/article34875996/

I think you misunderstood my comment. This is not a NDP vs. Libs discussion. It seems like you’re trying to justify NDP’s s..itshow by highlighting the BC Lubs dark history. That’s not the topic of this this thread. And of course, you are entitled to your opinion on that topic.
What I’m seeing on the BC wine issue and the story of the BC/AB trade war right now, only has the orange NDP writing on it. And this is pure political crap.

BTW, Crusty and her gang screwed up great opportunities to put this province ahead of the curve in many areas of the socio-economy and environment protection agenda. That’s why they’re not there any more IMO.

That’s in the NEB’s jurisdiction. Unless you’re suggesting the provincial governments should be given extra authority to go over their legal entitlements to protect their political agendas. Then wait for a repeat of the Balkan wars in Canada.

All of this crap show, putting Canadians against Canadians, speaks volumes to the desparation of the NDP governments on both sides of the border to get the voters cranked up. Incompetent leadership is setting a new standard. Ugly and embarrassing show to sit back and watch until one of the variables changes.
The NEB's jurisdiction does not come into play during an oil spill it regulates pipelines and utilities. When it spills everyone will run for the hills.
Environmental Protection
The Board's environmental responsibility includes ensuring environmental protection during the planning, construction, operation and abandonment of energy projects within its jurisdiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back