Halibut opening

Cooperation, focus and action are the key words here and we all have to forget our petty differences and start rowing our boats in the same direction, especially on this issue? If we do not quickly get our act together, we have nobody to blame but ourselves when our fishery goes down the tube. Just like it did in 1994 on the Eastside of the Island. This is our last chance to make our voices heard. This issue it is certainly a classic David versas Goliath issue, but, remember, there is strength in numbers, especially if those numbers are very loud and well financed.

The SVIAC website has had a face lift....check it out and give the activism & advocacy section a read. Speaks to what has be talked about here. www.anglerscoalition.com

Last edited:
Someone mentioned governments grants here before; if you want to lobby government you cannot take money from them. That's why groups like Pacific Salmon Foundation can't lobby. Remember that!

I have been trying to follow this thread. Can anyone tell me if the commercial guys also have the same max. size limit as the sporties?

I have been trying to follow this thread. Can anyone tell me if the commercial guys also have the same max. size limit as the sporties?
NO. Our size limit is self imposed to try and extend the season by not catching our weight allotment of Halibut too fast

As you know, commercial Halibut fishing is done with long lines.
By the time they are checked and rebated, most if not all the halibut coming up are in no shape to be released and live.
The fact of the matter is sport halibut fishing has become so popular and the success rate improving so rapidly that 15% of the TAC will never be enough to satisfy the demand.
By having a size limit for sporties, we stop those guys who are really good at knowing where the big females hang out and catch them, thereby extend the fishing opportunities for others and allow the females to reproduce.
There is nothing more attractive for a tourist guided by an expert to catch one of these;
380-pound-halibut+alaska+halibut+big+huge+world+record+fishes+massive+caught+records+largest+IGFA+biggest+monster+fish+trophy+ocean+sea+giant+images+lb+pound+caught+pictures+freshwater+saltwater+.jpg

The question is;
is 15% a fair allotment and does the government have the desire or will to change it!
Not telling you anything you probably don't already know, but the problem is pretty simple to understand if you take away all the rhetoric.

Last edited:
Nice flat one to bad we have to release those for the long liners. Have been talking with some of the long liners and union heads for the North Coast about some of our regulations, there all laughing wondering why we would agree to some thing so foolish buying into DFO in ability to monitor us . DFO is going to separate the rec angler from the guides/lodges, rec angler will be given there share and the guides/lodges will be buying quota, there starting to get a handle on the lodges though the log book program, the quota is there now you just have to pay , I hope we fight and not allow this to happen but were already well on our way. There are some awesome groups out there trying there best and fighting for our rights to fish. They did say they got what they got by hard ball fighting . lobbing yes, but attacking The minister and DFO are our enemy's. They can manage and miss manage how they see fit.

I did a week of commercial Halibut fishing in AK back in 1991 or so. It was before the IFQ days so we had 24 hours to catch as many as we could.

In general, the hook is pulled-out by a machine pulling the line while the head is held in place. Very traumatic to the fish.

Depending on area being fished, small one's have to be released.

These days all the boats have quotas and are probably monitored by observers/video cameras to ensure that small fish are released in a much less traumatic manner. They are supposed to carefully release fish. All said & done the Circle hooks used for Halibut are more difficult to remove than a J hook.
The catch limits are all influenced by calculating a certain percentage of mortality of released fish (same goes for Salmon & all Rec caught fish).

Says the guy that has literally only had input like this to the thread... smrt one you are for sure :D:D:rolleyes:
Yo big guide, i live on the ocean and lookout at a halibut spot every day, what ever the regs are it really doesn't effect me as i can go out get my 6 fish and call it a season. For you it seems you just want more to make your money, treat it like a commodity and ***** when you don't get what you want, oh and dont message me as i deleted all the others that you sent without reading them, if i would have read them it would be time wasted that i would never get back,carry on!

Back