Grinding salmon carcasses for bait/chum

Ruff

Just wondering if anyone grinds up salmon carcasses for crab bait/hali chum? I always save my heads for crab bait and typically fold the carcasses in half and use for bait as well but does anyone grind them up? My reasoning is that if you have a ground up carcas you can either add a little to your prawn bait holders(along with your pellets), use it in your hali chum tube or put it in bait cans for crabs? I was also thinking that you could freeze it in blocks which could be used frozen for quick soak crab sets. By the time you pull your traps, all the bait will have been washed away and all your left with are crabs in your trap. Any thoughts? Anyone doing this now? Have never used a grinder so will a regular meat grinder do a salmon carcas?
Thanks in advance.
Ruff

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone grinds up salmon carcasses for crab bait/hali chum? I always save my heads for crab bait and typically fold the carcasses in half and use for bait as well but does anyone grind them up? My reasoning is that if you have a ground up carcas you can either add a little to your prawn bait holders, use it in your hali chum tube or put it in bait cans for crabs? I was also thinking that you could freeze it in blocks which could be used frozen for quick soak crab sets. By the time you pull your traps, all the bait will have been washed away and all your left with are crabs in your trap. Any thoughts? Anyone doing this now? Have never used a grinder so will a regular meat grinder do a salmon carcas?
Thanks in advance.
Ruff
It works but you need a pretty Skookum grinder and you still need to use pellets or longer lasting bait as well.

Wow... to funny. Love the socks in thongs

Attachments

• IMG_2645.GIF
    IMG_2645.GIF
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
I went to a thrift store and bought one of those old hand meat grinders. Works well but can get messy.

Back