Radar users - logs?

AndrewH

I am trying to get some first have reviews on how well the Lowrance 4g broadband unit picks up logs and such. I know it works very well for objects out of the water but what about ones that are pretty close to the surface and/or in the waves?

It seems like every time I launch out of McDonald beach I am stressed about the logs especially in the early morning hours.

Radar isn't going to help in seeing logs or anything that close to the water (crab/prawn trap floats, etc.). The target needs to sit higher above the water to get a return. Kayakers are about as low as you'll be able to pick up. Maybe if it has a big root ball or branches attached and it is flat calm you might see a return. Keep in mind that the radar is broadcasting from the top of your boat which creates a blind spot close to your boat where the radar won't pick up anything under the cone.

Unfortunately not much you can do about the logs in the North Arm other than to take it easy and maintain a close watch. I also always try to take the inside of the corners (current pushes the logs and debris to the outside). The ones that do the most damage are the ones just under the surface you can't see. Had one of the dealers get their prop knocked off last summer right in front of me on a clear sunny day and they didn't see anything.

I had a JRC 3000 radar that would pick up everything, the key is tilting it down so that when your on a plane it is still tilted down slightly towards the water. It would pick up logs and crab trap floats no problem. It would even pick up rocks that were a foot or 2 underwater. Only downside is you loose a bit of range with it being tilted. Also need to know how to properly tune it.

Plastic tree fallers wedges work good to adjust the radome to find the right angle.

On flat calm waters my lowrance 3g will pick up crab floats as well. I was putting along pretty slow.

Ok great. I just picked up a 4g Lowrance unit for a total steal! Just need to track down a display for it.

Back