Halibut opening

It has to be a current group and my group would be SFI on a national level. I say all joe anglers join with the lodges,businesses and everyone else.

SFI is already established, and has its own directors etc.

It can't be SVIAC they are already deep routed with the Chinook net pen right now, and need to keep focused on fighting for South island. Just my opinion. Remember SFI was in court and successful when the commercials tried to pressure the minister to reverse the TAC%. People forget that. That helped everyone.

That doesn't mean we stop supporting SVIAC. That is an important group, and I will always support them.

This is good idea but I hope it isn't internet talk. If we collect money though we need a group set-up.

Last edited:
SpringVelocity you vote SFI how do the others feel? If that's the consensus are you involved with SFI and can you reach out to them and see if they will support this initiative for funding?

I'd make $100 donation today if I knew money was going directly to fight for more halibut quota allocation.
Problem is the effect of donation is so watered down by how it is spent.

There does not seem to be a focussed effort on fighting for allocation and getting rid of the experimental quota transfer program.
This program is the root of problem in my opinion. By allowing it to continue we have accepted it. DFO has in there minds and Gov mind, solved the problem.
How much money and resource does it cost to run this program?
What better things could we do with this money?

I like the donation at point of sale idea.
I donate to jumpstart program with every sportchek purchased because I am asked at point of sale. Seems I purchase something there a couple times a month.

Same. What if SFI set up a halibut allocation fund ?

Serengeti I think a more broad fund is best that covers salmon and halibut the fund could be used more for halibut one year and maybe the next year salmon is a higher priority things change year to year what do you think? People on the east side where halibut is almost non existent may not be drawn to halibut only funding. The more interests represented the more support IMO

SpringVelocity you vote SFI how do the others feel? If that's the consensus are you involved with SFI and can you reach out to them and see if they will support this initiative for funding?

No not on main board. I would reach out to Derby or Cutplug directly might be a good step to start with since they are. You never know if there already things in motion. I am sure they are following thread anyway.

Good on you for at least taking something on.

Serengeti I think a more broad fund is best that covers salmon and halibut the fund could be used more for halibut one year and maybe the next year salmon is a higher priority things change year to year what do you think? People on the east side where halibut is almost non existent may not be drawn to halibut only funding. The more interests represented the more support IMO
It can't just be for Halibut. All of our fisheries are in danger with all the mismanagement of DFO.

I disagree.
It has to be all about Hailbut.

We need to isolate the issue and address directly.

I think you'll get more donations and support if it is a targeted issue.

I'll donate and support if I know it is a direct effort to end the quota transfer system and get higher percentage of quota.
There I can measure results and feel effort and money is well spent.

Don't get me wrong. All these groups are very important and doing a great job on many issues.

You can do an ok job of many things or a great job focussed on one thing.

SVIAC is focused on the Sooke net pen project and is getting support and results.

Last edited:
You just have sub committees, boards do that all the time to zero in on certain issues that require extra effort. It's about catching the interests of all rec anglers and working as a team.

You just have sub committees, boards do that all the time to zero in on certain issues that require extra effort. It's about catching the interests of all rec anglers and working as a team.

That's not working for us now.
There are a few pledges in this thread if the donation goes directly to the halibut allocation fight.
The funds are too watered down when given to a group as general revenue.

Last time we bands together and focussed our efforts, we gained 3%

The idea is to increase revenues, the sub committees need to get approval from the board for any big decisions. Sometimes with boards if the members stay on to long they loose gas over time, fresh faces time to time can light things up. Been on many boards. Hard part is if your lacking a pool of folks putting there name forward committees and boards go into survival mode just to make quorum.

I disagree.
It has to be all about Hailbut.

We need to isolate the issue and address directly.

I think you'll get more donations and support if it is a targeted issue.

I'll donate and support if I know it is a direct effort to end the quota transfer system and get higher percentage of quota.
There I can measure results and feel effort and money is well spent.

Don't get me wrong. All these groups are very important and doing a great job on many issues.

You can do an ok job of many things or a great job focussed on one thing.

SVIAC is focused on the Sooke net pen project and is getting support and results.

This issue affects all anglers in all areas of the province. SVIAC is too regional.

It has to be a current group and my group would be SFI on a national level. I say all joe anglers join with the lodges,businesses and everyone else.

SFI is already established, and has its own directors etc.

It can't be SVIAC they are already deep routed with the Chinook net pen right now, and need to keep focused on fighting for South island. Just my opinion. Remember SFI was in court and successful when the commercials tried to pressure the minister to reverse the TAC%. People forget that. That helped everyone.

That doesn't mean we stop supporting SVIAC. That is an important group, and I will always support them.

This is good idea but I hope it isn't internet talk. If we collect money though we need a group set-up.

My Vote is also SFI. That's what I have been thinking to. This would align the charters, guides, lodges & Rec fisherman together. I checked out the website last week & was planning on calling them about individual memberships. I think this is the most solid plan & am ready to go.

I love where this is going. I hope SFI is willing join forces and get this done.!

Again, until a number of questions get asked and answered , I cannot see this moving forward.
First the legal questions as it pertains to real money.
How much money will this group be using to run it?
How many paid positions?
Who controls the spending of money?

If the SFBC group want to run it they will have to get rid of all persideams.

What groups would want to be at the table? BCWF, SFI, Guide groups etc.?

Where do they belong in the SFAB?

Remember the SFAB is the group that provides advice to the Ministry.

This group cannot go to Ottawa and say they represent the SFAB as the SFAB is not a lobby group.

Lots more questions

OldBlackDog You ask some good questions, but, I do not know what final form this funding concept is going to take. I suggest that the public face for this group should be SFBC and all monies collected should be funneled through them. If we want to participate in this game, for this program to be successful, it is going to take several hundred thousand $ a year to fund. Which like you say is serious money. Like you suggest every stakeholder has to get involved in order for this program to work and I am sure that most will step up to the plate. The next step as I see it is to start the wheels in motion and get things set up with SFBC to organize and administer this program.

Wow 21 pages and it's still a pissing match, for once i am glad i am getting old, i'll be dead and gone before we stop bickering

If there was unified collaboration that would fantastic, which ever association decided to take this on would decide how ever I would imagine having an open conversation of how they could possibly all benefit working together on certain items would be a good idea. When it comes to the funds that's easy they come into a designated account. Any spending items would be added to an agenda for discussion and if moved and seconded then action would go forward. If there was unanswered questions it just gets tabled for the next meeting for further discussion and if something needs to happen asap the an emergency meeting is held. With public financial statements it's clear and clean it's when they are not public where you can run into problems.

The line share of it is easy it's just a matter of what association wants to take it on, once that happens then things can move forward.

Well, sooner will be better.
When you see what is coming on Chinook, halibut seems not as big a concern.

Back