Vancouver Trap Theft/Raid Insantity 2017 Thread.

Have you had traps raided and/or stolen in Vancouver area waters in 2017?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully, this is not going to be your first and last post on this forum.
It's also good that you're taking responsibility for unsafe riding in our high traffic local waters. With all due respect for my fellow boaters, next time someone gets too cozy with my boat, I'll call up the VPD and hand over the gopro videos for them to investigate. You've swamped my boat more than twice in the last few weeks. I have young kids with me in my boat and can't see them float in the ocean water b/c of someone's wreckless riding. If you are in a big vessel, you MUST act like a big boy too.
'nough said for now....

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, it has been brought to attention that there have been recent post about GypSea Drifter and wanted to post a quick update that the boat was recently sold 2 months ago and is now under new ownership. Thought everyone would appreciate to know that the previous behaviour will not be continuing! The boat was formerly part of a boat share program with different people taking it out everyday.

Just like everyone else we enjoy really fishing and crabbing and ask that you please don't automatically assume because we are nearby traps we are raiding or stealing them. It is not always easy to identify your trap from a distance as the floats drift and there are often other traps put down in close proximity. Everyone should also be happy to hear that the authorities did take action last week and are on it - they boarded and did a complete search and didn't find anything. We never raid or steal traps even though out traps get raided and stolen too just like everyone else; and have also never found a bottle of liquor in lieu.

On the other hand though, we would like to take responsibility for coming in too fast and too close between the two boats and apologise for the mistake that was made.

Hoping that the local fishing community won't hold GypSea responsible for the actions of the previous owner, and would like to rebuild the reputation of the boat with the help of the community. Just yesterday GypSea helped tow a boat that ran out of gas to a nearby gas barge and is always available to lend a hand if needed.

Hope this post gives everyone on this forum peace of mind to know that there is one less poacher out on the water now.

Funny how you feel the need to get on here and "defend" yourself and provide your own representation.

Bill Cosby said "The proof is in the pudding"....

You definitely get on the water a lot Mr. Drifter. ...and out hours and hours on more than 2 days a week.

Fenders up while under way. There's a test for you. I'll be watching.... as will others.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, it has been brought to attention that there have been recent post about GypSea Drifter and wanted to post a quick update that the boat was recently sold 2 months ago and is now under new ownership. Thought everyone would appreciate to know that the previous behaviour will not be continuing! The boat was formerly part of a boat share program with different people taking it out everyday.

Just like everyone else we enjoy really fishing and crabbing and ask that you please don't automatically assume because we are nearby traps we are raiding or stealing them. It is not always easy to identify your trap from a distance as the floats drift and there are often other traps put down in close proximity. Everyone should also be happy to hear that the authorities did take action last week and are on it - they boarded and did a complete search and didn't find anything. We never raid or steal traps even though out traps get raided and stolen too just like everyone else; and have also never found a bottle of liquor in lieu.

On the other hand though, we would like to take responsibility for coming in too fast and too close between the two boats and apologise for the mistake that was made.

Hoping that the local fishing community won't hold GypSea responsible for the actions of the previous owner, and would like to rebuild the reputation of the boat with the help of the community. Just yesterday GypSea helped tow a boat that ran out of gas to a nearby gas barge and is always available to lend a hand if needed.

Hope this post gives everyone on this forum peace of mind to know that there is one less poacher out on the water now.

GPS your pots and spray paint your buoys unique colors.. Add a strip of orange,green, black what ever. You will never feel the need to check other peoples again.

index.jpg

Here's a tip for you ..... if you slow down you won't get peoples traps wrapped around your prop either bahahahahaha. So now gypsy drifter you have received more then enough info there shouldn't be anymore issues with you pulling the wrong gear...... so in your opinion what should happen when your caught red handed again ??

Change your boats name gypsea drifter. Problem solved.

Hoping that the local fishing community won't hold GypSea responsible for the actions of the previous owner, and would like to rebuild the reputation of the boat with the help of the community.

GypSea Drifter
I think the above posts tell you enough about your reputation within the local fishing community. Many people on this forum have been fishing the local chuck for many many years and know their $h..t very well. Watch how you ride that boat and where you drop/pull "your traps" otherwise your reputation will take another nose dive very soon.

Last edited:

I think it is great that you have seen the posts here and that you have replied. So the points you should take away from this exercise are - stay far away from other people's traps. Be respectful of others when you are under way. Lift up your bumpers (it just looks stupid). And one more thing that has not been mentioned - traps are not allowed overnight in English Bay. It is a navigation hazard.

********.jpg

Gypsea, your post on here is at least courageous if not somewhat brazen. Please note that after that post you have put yourself on notice with everyone on this site who will now watch you like a hawk. Variance in anyway from the straight and narrow road will have you back in the limelight and the press of this forum. I truly hope you take you own words very seriously. Learn proper navigation, proper ethics and respect and perhaps take a power squadron course. From this point forward, ignorance will not be an excuse.

deja moo.jpg

I am writing this with mixed feelings. 4 or 5 weeks ago, my last set of prawn traps along with 600 yards of rope and a big scotsman went missing around Passage Island. Thought the prawn trap thief has struck again and decided to give up prawning for the rest of the year. Last week, out of the blue, I received a phone call from a nice lady living on bowyer island to let me know she saw my traps floating in the water around her house. She asked me some details about the float which I was able to provide for her. Confident it was mine, she told me the location and said it has been floating around the area for a few weeks so she figured it was a lost trap. That afternoon I was able to retrieve my traps in just 250 yard of water. My Scotsman must have been too big and dragged the traps northward until it finally settled where it did. I say it was with mix feeling because I also just lost 2 crab traps outside of the marina where I moored. On one occasion, before one of the traps went missing, I actually saw the dreaded Gypsie Drifter pulling away from the vicinity. In all honesty, my trap was still in the water and visible when she pulled away. As for the poster that posted here pretending to be the gyspsie drifter, I have one thing to say : You are jerk and full of ****. I have a pretty good idea who the captain of the gypsie drifter is and he was still at the helm when I say the boat last week. The Drifter that posted here is a fake imposter trying to make a fool of the people on this forum. What a jack.

It was a screen shot showing a female crab in a cooler retained by a charter business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back