Halibut opening

Calmsea all you can do is try " with out change everything will always be the same " :) The funds can't go through licensing it will be to much of a hassle to deal with licensing plus they may dictate how the funds are spent. The funds need to come from a self funded organization to make sure the interests of the saltwater anglers interests are 100% represented and the funds can't be whipped out from under them. You can't make it mandatory only voluntary the idea is based on everyone can afford to part with a dollar or two. Many times people get focused on the amount of one sale and loose track of the value of low prices high volume. The merchants would be the sales people which equals no overhead to get the word out while raising funds via donations. It's an avenue I'm willing to donate a bunch of my time to the cause to try to get some traction and the ball rolling. It's free to try we just need an association to step forward and look after the books and back the idea.

I tend to agree with Calmseas...with the Sooke Sea Pen Project there is more money coming from the whale watchers than from anglers and the businesses that depend on anglers. And they don't fish. I joking said a few years ago that it is to bad we can't use a special mark for all community hatchery raised fish and make it a law that only those who contribute can retain those fish. That would get the moths out of some wallets. It was JUST a joke but reflects the frustration at times.

I'd make $100 donation today if I knew money was going directly to fight for more halibut quota allocation.
Problem is the effect of donation is so watered down by how it is spent.

There does not seem to be a focussed effort on fighting for allocation and getting rid of the experimental quota transfer program.
This program is the root of problem in my opinion. By allowing it to continue we have accepted it. DFO has in there minds and Gov mind, solved the problem.
How much money and resource does it cost to run this program?
What better things could we do with this money?

I like the donation at point of sale idea.
I donate to jumpstart program with every sportchek purchased because I am asked at point of sale. Seems I purchase something there a couple times a month.

Sounds all nice and dandy but the reality is that most fishermen are the cheapest sons of b...es! You would have to make this a mandatory annual fee when you purchase your saltwater licence. And make it worthwhile, $100 for each lisence per year. That would give you something to work with. Look how SVIAC struggles financially because they have to beg for each cent and they do lobby already for SVI interests and would have loved to send guys to Ottawa on many occasions already but couldn't because of lacking funds. You would think with thousands of salt anglers on SVI this would be a piece of cake! And that's a group with a successful track record already like the Sooke Chinook net pen last year. It's shameful how cheap and lazy we are - the sportfishing masses! You will only get the masses to pay up by making it a condition for getting a licence.

i really think that is just a negative twist, a small hand-out at the till like a pamphlet explaining how your hard earned dollar is going to represent you might go a long way.

I'd make $100 donation today if I knew money was going directly to fight for more halibut quota allocation.
Problem is the effect of donation is so watered down by how it is spent.

There does not seem to be a focussed effort on fighting for allocation and getting rid of the experimental quota transfer program.
This program is the root of problem in my opinion. By allowing it to continue we have accepted it. DFO has in there minds and Gov mind, solved the problem.
How much money and resource does it cost to run this program?
What better things could we do with this money?

I like the donation at point of sale idea.
I donate to jumpstart program with every sportchek purchased because I am asked at point of sale. Seems I purchase something there a couple times a month.

Yep me too. We need teeth. Some won’t take no attitude. I’m not sure a go fund me page wouldnt work though. I don’t know about others but I’m so tired of being asked for charity money at the till I don’t donate anymore. But I’ve got a hundred bucks to throw in when we finally figure out who or where to send it.

We need a lawyer.

The outcome of this historic thread will determine the future direction of our Sportsfishery. There are a lot of smart, well informed members presenting some excellent ideas and we have to find a way of bringing these ideas together into a plan of action. I think we are only going to get one final kick at the cat here, so, it is important that we find a solution to this problem while we still have so many member's attention.

I’m sure you would be surprised at how many peeps would give a buck or two at the till. It adds up fast. Could also do fundraisers galas etc. Nevermind the amount of $ peeps would be willing to JUST donate or throw at the cause. Look at the local fishing derbies and the prizes etc that are all donated by local companies. I’m sure there could also be some corporate dollars thrown into the pot too. Just takes somebody willing to do the work or keep track of the dollars etc.

SVIAC went to bat for us BIG TIME along with certain guys that went over and fought for our right to fish (in Vancouver). IF it wasnt for them it would have been alot WORSE.... certain user groups voted for some very bad things to happen.
Sviac stands up for all fisherman and I dont care if you think its for the south only or not its FOR ALL OF us mostly REC fisherman or as they like to call it tin boat anglers.

Its where I put my money

I donate if it's a good cause no problem or if someones having tough times and asks. It would be voluntary you don't need to donate but I'm sure if asked at your local tackle shop over and over 1 of the times during the season you would be caught in a good charitable mood :) In the coffer it goes. For the others donations would happen with almost every purchase :) A go fund me may work you never know who might see it and drop some serious coin in there. The point of sale idea may work if it's supported by stores. If some people want to make a $100 donation make it easy for them to do so, it will be all these trickle trails that will add up. What group would be the right place for the funds to go, would it be SFI? And would they be willing to take this on and set up for it?

One suggestion would be for some members or the owners of SFBC to form a group under the umbrella of SFBC that would take responsibility for the organizing and the administration for fund raising. SFBC members would than have a secure place to make and be able to track their donations? The monies could than be passed along to SFI as they seem to be the only group that is currently lobbying for the Sportsfishing community.

I donate if it's a good cause no problem or if someones having tough times and asks. It would be voluntary you don't need to donate but I'm sure if asked at your local tackle shop over and over 1 of the times during the season you would be caught in a good charitable mood :) In the coffer it goes. For the others donations would happen with almost every purchase :) A go fund me may work you never know who might see it and drop some serious coin in there. The point of sale idea may work if it's supported by stores. If some people want to make a $100 donation make it easy for them to do so, it will be all these trickle trails that will add up. What group would be the right place for the funds to go, would it be SFI? And would they be willing to take this on and set up for it?

The vegans would probably get the gofundme shut down as we are killing animals, they did it on a hunting one to enhance the caribou,moose and deer numbers because it involved trapping

Good idea Oldtimer, the other thing to get set up is a donation widget that can be added to websites as well. Paypal is easiest and when someone donates they get a receipt for write offs on the spot and the money goes straight to the source. I will add the widget to all my sites as I'm sure everyone else will as well. Not only does it allow people to donate but also brings attention to what's going even if some people don't donate they will be exposed to the information and may get involved in other ways.

I don't think worrying about Vegans is a issue :) hopefully this thread can stay focused and on point so something comes together out of these conversations.

Ucluelet Charters. Glad to hear that we are on the same page on this issue. I think that SFBC should set up their own donation widget as well and donations could than come directly to them from the membership etc. We would be willing to set this donation system up on our web site as well. Not sure how to go about doing this and I think that any donations made through our web site for example, should flow directly through to the SFBC donation fund. How do we go about setting up this donation widget? We need to come up with a name for this fund?

Interesting, however I seem to remember the BCWF was in Ottawa as well.

When the discussion moves to money then all things change.
First would be getting a lawyer to ensure the people who have access to the money are responsible for it and the group does not get ripped off.
Lots of questions when money involved.

If a group was to be developed it needs to have a broader group.
No one has mentioned all the suppliers who make a living off fishing.
What about all the boat mfg’s, motor mfg, all tackle mfg. why are they not on the list?

Who is the public face of this group?

How much real money needs to be raised annually?

Is this group going to have a paid executive/face?

We are talking real money here with travel, meetings , lobbyists etc.

One suggestion would be for some members or the owners of SFBC to form a group under the umbrella of SFBC that would take responsibility for the organizing and the administration for fund raising. SFBC members would than have a secure place to make and be able to track their donations? The monies could than be passed along to SFI as they seem to be the only group that is currently lobbying for the Sportsfishing community.

OldBlackDog You ask some good questions, but, I do not know what final form this funding concept is going to take. I suggest that the public face for this group should be SFBC and all monies collected should be funneled through them. If we want to participate in this game, for this program to be successful, it is going to take several hundred thousand $ a year to fund. Which like you say is serious money. Like you suggest every stakeholder has to get involved in order for this program to work and I am sure that most will step up to the plate. The next step as I see it is to start the wheels in motion and get things set up with SFBC to organize and administer this program.

OldBalackDog - I think to get it out of the gates so it doesn't go dead is to have a current group take it on, as for how much funds is needed that's pretty open I would imagine because as the funds grew so would how far a group could take it. You would definitely want an elected board eventually maybe even right away. Skype works wonders for monthly meetings and maybe an AGM once a year for the group to get together. I think hiring for specific events or if any directors want to lobby make sure all there travel costs are taken care of would be the way to go at first, elected boards with small budgets are pretty effective in getting things done and lined up with out big overhead. You brought up some other great places to seek funds there maybe even some government grants available. On year two and three there would be the ability to plan a budget as there would be a track record of income possible room for expansion and representation. The face would be the logo of the association and the chair of the board would do all the speaking unless there was another board member that want to take on that task. I think getting tackle shops etc on board each area there is someone on here that knows those owners personally and could really help getting them on board. If we work as a unit this is doable, when things get tough we work harder until the vision is moving forward.

That’s because the majority of the masses are just like “tell me where and when to go, so I can go rape the resource”

It’s most evident when fishing is good in a matter of a few days worth of good reports. The amount of boats goes from like 40 to like 400. In the Vancouver area.

uclueletcharters idea is great. Every time I buy dog food I donate 5 bucks to the local animal shelter it’s a great way to go to get funds. I beleive a lot of sports fishermen would donate to lobby.

And as for the SFAC and SFAB if you don’t think the members stick it to DFO and push hard your absolutely wrong. My dad sat on it for a number of years from the DFO side. The debates get can get very heated. He even had sports fishing members say things like “ I bet their paying you over time to be here” and other such attacks. so don’t beleive in anyway the the SFAC members roll over and take it.

Oldtimer, to collect donations you need to be registered which is just some paperwork. From there you create the Paypal account linked to the bank account and create your widget from there, once done you can email the widget code so others can embed into there site. Super easy. I can help with this if there is a group that wants to support the idea.

Back