PRV confirmed in bloodwater

Not good. 100% of the escaped atlantics tested positive for PRV....Norwegian strain. Here is the press release...

http://wildfishconservancy.org/february-15th-prv-press-release/at_download/file

Wow, pretty eye opening. Why is it that those down south are taking this seriously and getting rid of these wild salmon killing factories and our leaders are continuing to support them?

And who would have thought that the FF spokesman would lie to us? say it isn't so...lol. Their whole industry is based on lies.

Just a portion of the article: (hate it when some links have a tendency to disappear over time.)

"significantly more wild salmon were infected with PRV if they had been exposed to salmon farms than if they were located faraway.
Peer-reviewed science also shows us that even without the occurrence of HSMI, PRV can negatively impact a salmon’s ability to compete and survive in the wild.
As PRV builds up in a salmon’s red blood cells, the virus may reduce the amount of oxygen cells can transport to the fish’s muscles, 6 lowering the fish’s performance. For a wild fish, reduced performance means a reduced ability to capture prey, evade predators, and swim upriver to spawn.
Statistical analysis conducted by WFC ecologist Dr. Nick Gayeski suggests the disease is highly prevalent in escaped farmed salmon from Cypress Island. “Based on the results of this sampling,” Dr. Gayeski said,
“I estimate that more than 99.9% of the 260,000+ fish that escaped from the Cypress Island net pen are infected with PRV.
For all practical purposes, all of the
escaped fish are most likely infected with the PRV virus.”
The independent lab results corroborate Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (WDFW) recently released report detailing their own findings of PRV-positive Atlantic salmon originating from Cooke Aquaculture’s Cypress Island net pen facility.
Yet during a January 30th press conference announcing a state agency investigative report into the Cypress Island spill, a spokeswoman for WDFW, who acted as incident commander and co-authored the report, contradicted the report’s own findings, stating:

“The released fish... were healthy at the time of release. Of the escaped fish, there was no disease. No endemic bacterial, viral, or parasitic (including sea lice) pathogens were detected
at the time of release.”
8-
Amy Windrope, North Puget Sound Regional Director
“I’m outraged,” said Kurt Beardslee, executive director of Wild Fish Conservancy. “
The Atlantic salmon in Puget Sound net pens originate from Norway, and we now know they are highly infected with a harmful virus from Norway.
I’m outraged this disease is being amplified into our public waters, and I’m outraged our state agencies are willfully misleading the public.
When the public finds out about this atrocity, they will be outraged as well.Wild salmon are the
environmental, social, economic, and cultural cornerstone of this region, we can't afford to put them at greater risk. We need to take corrective actions and remove this dangerous industry from Puget Sound before it’s too late.”
The lab work presents another stunning revelation, finding the strain of PRV present in 100% of the tested samples to be of Norwegian origin.
This discovery raises immediate concerns as to whether Cooke Aquaculture is placing infected Atlantic salmon into open-water net pens in our public waters.
In British Columbia, a recent lawsuit provided that many BC salmon farms are being stocked by salmon infected with PRV.
In one instance, British Columbia’s predominant Atlantic salmon net pen company conceded that 5 out of 6 of their hatcheries were infected with PRV

thxs for keeping us informed rockdog, AA, and others

Last edited:
Reading that actually really pissed me off.

yep, me also... The corruption in this industry is rampant on all levels. And our wild salmon have and continue to pay the price. How long till the once bountiful runs are gone? Won't be long if these disease factories continue to operate in our waters.

crickets from the ff side as they know this is the smoking gun......

"My name is Jordan Belfort. I'm a former member of the middle class, raised by two accountants in a tiny apartment in Bayside, Queens. The year I turned 26, as the head of my own brokerage firm, I made $49-million... which really pissed me off becuse it was three shy of a million a week." "According to the "Wolf of Wall Street," it's the ultimate high. You really can be addicted to wealth. He says many traders are -- he was a wealth junkie himself."

Psychologists analyzing behaviour of flag waving, patriotic Wall Street American traders, who knew they were destroying their own citizen's lives could not help themselves due to an addictive mind affected by the same brain chemistry as if by alcohol or any other drug. Money is the drug of corporate power. Allowing corporate money to lobby (corrupt) politicians is a very big reason so much has gone so wrong in this province and at the federal level with this sickening fish farm disgrace.

Last edited:
crickets from the ff side as they know this is the smoking gun......

yep, not one reply from the FF supporters. And they are usually so motivated at trying to defend the undefendable...

Looks like the Browns Bay plant was out of compliance with it's effluent discharge rate for quite some time; https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/e...pliance-audit/8124/2017-12-20_il_ad_74000.pdf

Yup, out of compliance BUT what we are most worried about is ..... PRV virus in the blood water and are they out of compliance when it comes to that? The answer is they are in compliance as noted on page 2.

"Samples of the processing effluent were taken by the Officer at the time of the inspection. Fine screen was operating at the time. Sampling results (attached), are consistent with expected concentrations for screened fish processing effluent. Compare with Environment Canada 1994 "Fraser River Action Plan: Guide for Best Management Practices for Process Water Management At Fish Processing Plants in British Columbia" for examples of typical effluent concentration estimates. Offal and other fish solid wastes are collected at various stages through the operation and taken to Vancouver for processing into product. Chlorination/dechlorination facilities are available on site for use if necessary. The operator notes that the system is used infrequently and as required but is tested regularly."

They have the equipment to treat effluent to kill the virus but they don't run it unless they have a virus that the province deems necessary to be killed. Till that changes they are well with in their rights to continue to pump PRV virus infected blood water as they seem fit.

Big win for the fish farms and their supporters and I think they know it.

Yup, out of compliance BUT what we are most worried about is ..... PRV virus in the blood water and are they out of compliance when it comes to that? The answer is they are in compliance as noted on page 2.

"Samples of the processing effluent were taken by the Officer at the time of the inspection. Fine screen was operating at the time. Sampling results (attached), are consistent with expected concentrations for screened fish processing effluent. Compare with Environment Canada 1994 "Fraser River Action Plan: Guide for Best Management Practices for Process Water Management At Fish Processing Plants in British Columbia" for examples of typical effluent concentration estimates. Offal and other fish solid wastes are collected at various stages through the operation and taken to Vancouver for processing into product. Chlorination/dechlorination facilities are available on site for use if necessary. The operator notes that the system is used infrequently and as required but is tested regularly."

They have the equipment to treat effluent to kill the virus but they don't run it unless they have a virus that the province deems necessary to be killed. Till that changes they are well with in their rights to continue to pump PRV virus infected blood water as they seem fit.

Thats disgusting. Basically you are telling us that currently its nothing to see here folks move along? We can only hope this government actually does something about this embarasment. What a nightmare.

True, that. The compliance audit is a good window on the cozy relationship the salmon aquaculture industry enjoys with govt.
To put the discharge rate into perspective, if all the effluent had to be trucked out instead of discharged into the bay, the original permit would have required a maximum of 3.5 cement truck loads/day. If approved, the application for an amended maximum would have permitted 75 cement truck loads/day. That's a lot of truck traffic on that Brown's Bay road!

Not sure how the Province can give the industry an ok to deposit a deleterous substance. Sounds like a private prosecution and/or a court case to me...

The City of Victoria deposits PRv every day, Dave? Really???

are their any fish processing plants connected to the city's sewer system? grocery stores? fish handlers ect...

Also AA I don't no why you pretend you don't no the talking points from both sides of the isle with regards to their view on PRV. To me it seems like your just baiting more people to engage in the conversation.

You know the government's view on PRV and you know the oppositions view.

Not sure how the Province can give the industry an ok to deposit a deleterous substance. Sounds like a private prosecution and/or a court case to me...

Send an email to Eco justice

Last edited:
Plants providing limited wastewater treatment add to risk for orcas

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...d-wastewater-treatment-add-to-risk-for-orcas/

What scientists discovered in 26 samples from orcas around the San Juan Islands was a bevy of microbes that they analyzed and screened for antibiotic resistance. They were looking for evidence of human activity and in particular waste seepage into the marine environment. That’s important because the pathogens can sicken both orcas and people.

One possible source of the pathogens is human sewage. “It is noteworthy that within 30 miles of the study area the city of Victoria, B.C., does not have a secondary sewage treatment facility, and instead discharges primary treatment product from the resident population of approximately 360,000 to the Salish Sea,” the scientists wrote.

Secondary sewage treatment kills many more pathogens in sewage, and while it is planned for Victoria, the controversy over its lack has raged for decades in Cascadia. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and King County Executive Dow Constantine wrote the premier of British Columbia in June 2014 chastising the government for not yet upgrading their treatment beyond rudimentary primary screening and discharge.

The word I meant to use - was the word I used: PRv.

So - to be clear - Victoria does not deposit PRv in the water - and I am assuming you have no data to support the assumption that it does, dave.

I am also assuming that you wished to not be clear about what the differences between different deleterious substances are - which is why you attempted to mislead the conversation from the potential effects of the releases of a known fish pathogen such as PRv, and instead misdirect the conversation to Victoria pumping sewerage into the water.

Sewerage can be deleterious to fish - mostly dependent upon decreases in oxygen due to decomposition of the nutrient loads in the effluent. Sewerage is potentially more deleterious to humans due to the potential for disease transmission to humans (and mammals) from viruses and bacteria in the effluent - and so there are guidelines and testing about how many of the indicator organisms (E. Coli - a faecal coliform bacteria) are permitted.

And, as you likely know - Victoria is spending some $ Millions to develop their secondary treatment plant to get into compliance with faecal coliform standards. There was already a lengthy discussion about this on this forum at: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/float-free-or-die.63579/

That discussion leads nicely into a similar testing regime, with risk assessment and mitigation for fish pathogens - which is NOT DONE wrt plants and PRv. That's why I wished to use the word PRv - while you appeared to not want to get into this obviously embarrassing conversation about the regulation of the FF industry and processing plants.

However, there are examples of the government doing this for other introduced or potentially-introduced pathogens for fish disease risk transmission (e.g.: www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/Publications/ScR-RS/2017/2017_041-eng.pdf) - hence the comment I made wrt private prosecutions and/or a court case to kick start this attention to risk assessment and mitigation for fish pathogens from processing plants.

Last edited:
Man is Almo well funded

"anti-fish farm activist Alexandra Morton has been researching a deadly virus – piscine reovirus or PRV – that has caused disease in B.C. salmon farms.

Her findings? That PRV likely originated from Norway, and was introduced to B.C. waters by the industry.

Not all research shares her conclusion.

The three papers co-published by Norwegian seafood company Marine Harvest (which raises salmon in Canada, among other countries) and B.C. and federal scientists conclude PRV is natural to B.C. and harmless to Pacific salmon. However, the papers published without Marine Harvest conclude the opposite: PRV found in B.C. is from Norway and causing harm to Pacific salmon."

https://thetyee.ca/Video/2018/03/02/Science-Politics-Fish-Farms-Virus/

https://www.straight.com/news/10404...us-sleek-and-concise-take-fish-farms-question

https://deptwildsalmon.wordpress.com/

The department of wild salmon go Almo! remember to donate!

The word I meant to use - was the word I used: PRv.

So - to be clear - Victoria does not deposit PRv in the water - and I am assuming you have no data to support the assumption that it does, dave.

I am also assuming that you wished to not be clear about what the differences between different deleterious substances are - which is why you attempted to mislead the conversation from the potential effects of the releases of a known fish pathogen such as PRv, and instead misdirect the conversation to Victoria pumping sewerage into the water.

Sewerage can be deleterious to fish - mostly dependent upon decreases in oxygen due to decomposition of the nutrient loads in the effluent. Sewerage is potentially more deleterious to humans due to the potential for disease transmission to humans (and mammals) from viruses and bacteria in the effluent - and so there are guidelines and testing about how many of the indicator organisms (E. Coli - a faecal coliform bacteria) are permitted.

And, as you likely know - Victoria is spending some $ Millions to develop their secondary treatment plant to get into compliance with faecal coliform standards. There was already a lengthy discussion about this on this forum at: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/float-free-or-die.63579/

That discussion leads nicely into a similar testing regime, with risk assessment and mitigation for fish pathogens - which is NOT DONE wrt plants and PRv. That's why I wished to use the word PRv - while you appeared to not want to get into this obviously embarrassing conversation about the regulation of the FF industry and processing plants.

However, there are examples of the government doing this for other introduced or potentially-introduced pathogens for fish disease risk transmission (e.g.: www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/Publications/ScR-RS/2017/2017_041-eng.pdf) - hence the comment I made wrt private prosecutions and/or a court case to kick start this attention to risk assessment and mitigation for fish pathogens from processing plants.

I have no idea if Victoria sends PRv down its pipe but it most definitely does deposit deleterious substances.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deleterious

You just love to argue aa.

Like many others on this forum - I am committed to being responsible for the heritage of wild salmon for our kids and their kids - and doing what I can to ensure our regulators fulfill their duty w/o accepting lies or distractions from them. I wouldn't think that should need any justification - although I can understand that when loosing the argument on the effects of FFs and processing plants - you would wish to instead turn it into a personal argument and try yet again to deflect the conversation away from the inconvenient and uncomfortable truths and questions.

Last edited:
Back