Halibut opening

It’s not lobbying when a motion is put through. Using your logic every single motion sfab puts through is lobbying. Lobbying for 3 lings per day this year instead of 2...why’d they put that motion forward then?

Your logic makes zero sense. And if Jencourts question is ignored that gives the answer itself. So there’s your answer. Moving on to now to fix this...

Why would I want to for one second respond to a question regarding the SFAC or SFAB process on this forum anymore?? I for one don't like or need to be or want to be **** ON anymore:(..so NO answers for u:p
So people show up to your area SFAC give the chair your email address & phone number and introduce yourself..... get to know the folks that volunteer there time( days & weekends, weeks) to the process.... amazing things happen when u get involved & understand the complexity of the fisheries with all the red tape:eek:..like everything in life it takes time to understand it..:).. I will leave this question all those who don't show up to any SFAC meeting ! What gets more attention.. a area meeting with 12 people or every SFAC meeting that has 100 or 200 show up??

Now as for all those of you YELLING.. lets get more allocation and have a membership in groups. May it be SFI, SVIAC BCWF., WCFGA... phone or email your group & ask them the hard questions ..Tell them u want to get involved and how can you help out.... Let them know how important this is too u .. as for the rest of you.... get off your butt and be part of the solution not the problem ......................:(

you need to ask your self why people have stopped showing up, is this really working , maybe it is maybe it isn't. the current system is difficult as we have no leverage or strategy to put DFO on notice . They hold all the cards and know what we want. The only power we really have is knowledge and expertise by hard working people that spend time on the grounds. were dammed if we do and dammed if we don't , maybe we should make them earn the intell we give them.
I can see it now the NATIONAL ROD ASSOCIATION.

Maybe something more like UCOA. Unified Canadian Outdoorsmen Association. Grabs everyone.

there answer is no process an
you need to ask your self why people have stopped showing up, is this really working , maybe it is maybe it isn't. the current system is difficult as we have no leverage or strategy to put DFO on notice . They hold all the cards and know what we want. The only power we really have is knowledge and expertise by hard working people that spend time on the grounds. were dammed if we do and dammed if we don't , maybe we should make them earn the intell we give them.

SFAB advisor .... NATIONAL ROD ASSOCIATION lobby 2 different process....

Derby is right...SFAB is advising usally within constraints already sent down the chain of command to the local DFO reps. To change the 15%-85% allocation as an example you need to influence the minister directly. This involves sending a professional lobbiest to Ottawa and meet in person. You would also want to meet with the oppostion parties fisheries critics and do the same. This all has costs attached and another thing the SFAB lacks. They don't have funds to even pay for rooms to hold local meetings and often rely on freebees.

Thanks Victory

After thinking about this a bit more I think it may be time for a national advocacy group to emerge representing anglers, hunters and outdoor recreational interests. We are dealing with the feds and therefore it makes sense to have a group with huge numbers of memebers from across the entire country. (look at what the NRA does down south....agree or disagree with some of their positions) Politicians comsider their arguements because they have the voting weight of their memebership. Obviously tbis would be a huge undertaking to launch and build....you aren't going to get this done with volunteers. It will require paid knowledgable staff. One benefit of a group like this is the educational potential for members to learn through a newsletter what the issues are outside their local area. People in Sask become aware of issues here in BC and we learn about issues in PEI as examples. Just throwing it out there to provoke thought.

That seams like an excellent idea. Why could it not be an amalgamation of BCWF, Ontario Hunters and Anglers, NFA and any others that I forgot or am unaware of, maybe a new association consisting of reps from all existing organizations, with government rep. May carry some voting weight on a National level. Lets face it anything should help, not feeling like passions will be around long at the current rate. Looking like fishers and hunters may become the extinct species.

HM

Thanks DERBY you got that right on most of everything people are suggesting HAS been discussed be it "tag.or a zip tie which by they way ALL OF this is gonna cost more $$$$$ we dont need it we need more quota!!!!!!!!!!!!! .simple attend and be known get someone else to do a show if its that important to you Dave your young and just getting into this game you have a lifetime ahead of you to make a change ive been in this for over 30 years and its not getting better ...Anf thanks to all of the people who have fought for you forget the bad apples that are not in tune to what is really going on....
DFO is the enemy here not the guys and gals representing you if we didnt have them you probably wouldn't be fishing food for thought.....

WOLF

Washington DC has over 15k highly paid professional lobbyists representing many different industries. I am sure that the Commercial fishing sector in Canada has several highly paid professional lobbyists working the system in Ottawa on their behalf and that is why we find ourselves in the pickle that we are in? Who are the highly paid professional lobbyists representing the Sportsfishing sector in Canada?

Last edited:
Until there is a well funded group with a fat bank account forget about any highly paid professional lobbyist looking after our interests. That is the only part of what I suggested above that I have doubts about..will the masses buy in and buck up for their own good? It is what prevents existing groups from doing more in this direction. I know this first hand.

Unfortunately, the masses are me and thee and all the other members of the SFBC forum. We have to form a coalition with all the other stakeholder groups within the Sportsfishing network in order to make this work and I am sure that we can put together a significant bankroll in order to hire professional lobbyists. The SFI have proven that they cannot do this on their own and they need our help and the help of all the various splinter groups within the Sportsfishing community to unite under one roof. If we do not get started putting together an effective opposition to the Commercial lobby we are going to never win this battle. I would say that this grass roots movement has to start with the members of the SFBC and grow from there.

Just an idea, what if the tackle shops got on board and asked each person purchasing gear when they are purchasing goods if they would like to donate a buck or two to help support those who represent the recreational sport fishing sector. Maybe a laminated info sheet at till so if the purchaser asked questions there's an FAQ there for them to browse. I know each time I purchased gear and was asked I would say sure. You have to make it easy and not a big deal to toss a couple bucks on top of the purchase. Like they do at many stores for all types of donations. Then all anglers could contribute, commercial, weekend warriors etc. Make it small donations so it's no biggy to say sure with the thoughts it would add up in volume, hit basspro shops, cabelas, and all the smaller shops. It's in all there interest as well to participate because they sell gear. No fishery no gear sales. Is this something that could be set up? I definitely don't mind contributing and reaching out to businesses if that's something that others think is a good idea and what ever association wants to take on and contacts me and says lets do it.

i would put in from every charter i did. and have customers do the same. lobby fund... isnt this like a gofundme kind of idea?

anyone here have the savy to do this?

Off topic I wanted to show something from trolling up some Lingcod. The T-Rex of the Westcoast. Trying to steal a bait out of a hooked fish's mouth.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2015-08-07-14h01m52s558.png
    vlcsnap-2015-08-07-14h01m52s558.png
    334.1 KB · Views: 79
  • vlcsnap-2015-08-07-14h01m44s259.png
    vlcsnap-2015-08-07-14h01m44s259.png
    323.2 KB · Views: 78
It's not a go fund me it's not in your face enough and will go good briefly then peter out, how ever another potential source. That's awesome that you contribute but to gain traction financially you need many thousands of people contributing multiple times a year. At the point of sale makes it easiest the wallet is already out and to add a buck or two most people won't bat an eye to support a good cause. As for a go fund me or donation page on a website is not the best option because if they have to navigate somewhere and then pull there wallet out it's not easy and streamlined enough, to easy to procrastinate and then forget. There would definitely need to be a proper budget with percents of whats going where with receipts making sure representatives stay accountable for spending and aren't ringing up the bill. I think if you could show after a year a public financial break down and how the funds were used so if folks wanted to know they would feel good about where there donation money went. Would need to be a non profit account type.

The donation would be a line item so that if the consumer said yes it's one click and now part of the other purchases tally at check out.

What ever association wanted to take it on would need to have the account set up to receive donations once that's done it would be a matter of selling the idea to the stores to get them on board. They would write a cheque or bank transfer the funds collected to the designated bank account monthly or quarterly. The association would then provide them a receipt so they don't have to claim the funds as income and it's a wash for them, no skin off their backs. It's one extra item to track which is not a big deal which is why they would need a designated item with in there till for the accountant to track. The hard part would be selling the idea and like I said what ever association wants to take it on I will make the contacts and do my best to sell the idea pitching why it's a good idea and how they stand to benefit by supporting it from here forward. If it all came together we're of to the races.

Think if every license and piece of gear sold the sales person asked would you like to donate to " XXXXX" to help fund the fight to protect Angler rights in BC. There are hundreds of thousands of purchases are made each year even if 50% donated and made the minimum $1.00 donation which many will donate $5 plus dollars there would be significant operating budget to get things happening.

Last edited:
It's not a go fund me it's not in your face enough and will go good briefly then peter out, how ever another potential source. That's awesome that you contribute but to gain traction financially you need many thousands of people contributing multiple times a year. At the point of sale makes it easiest the wallet is already out and to add a buck or two most people won't bat an eye to support a good cause. As for a go fund me or donation page on a website is not the best option because if they have to navigate somewhere and then pull there wallet out it's not easy and streamlined enough, to easy to procrastinate and then forget. There would definitely need to be a proper budget with percents of whats going where with receipts making sure representatives stay accountable for spending and aren't ringing up the bill. I think if you could show after a year a public financial break down and how the funds were used so if folks wanted to know they would feel good about where there donation money went. Would need to be a non profit account type.

The donation would be a line item so that if the consumer said yes it's one click and now part of the other purchases tally at check out.
Sounds like a great idea, amigo

Sounds all nice and dandy but the reality is that most fishermen are the cheapest sons of b...es! You would have to make this a mandatory annual fee when you purchase your saltwater licence. And make it worthwhile, $100 for each lisence per year. That would give you something to work with. Look how SVIAC struggles financially because they have to beg for each cent and they do lobby already for SVI interests and would have loved to send guys to Ottawa on many occasions already but couldn't because of lacking funds. You would think with thousands of salt anglers on SVI this would be a piece of cake! And that's a group with a successful track record already like the Sooke Chinook net pen last year. It's shameful how cheap and lazy we are - the sportfishing masses! You will only get the masses to pay up by making it a condition for getting a licence.

Back