A Step in the right direction (fish farms)

Let's hope so David, really is in our back yard. How many of those 200,000+ salmon are in our waters possibly doing damage?

This is a huge step in the right direction. Getting these disease incubators out of the water will be massive for the wild salmon. I firmly believe the 2 biggest factors affecting our fish are the fish farms and seal predation.
I cant understand why the BC government is taking so long?

This is a huge step in the right direction. Getting these disease incubators out of the water will be massive for the wild salmon. I firmly believe the 2 biggest factors affecting our fish are the fish farms and seal predation.
I cant understand why the BC government is taking so long?

govt is in bed with the farms financially (pension funds), and too many people with feelings do not understand the need for a cull.

govt is in bed with the farms financially (pension funds), and too many people with feelings do not understand the need for a cull.
I believe Marine Harvest is a privately held company so would be suprised to see a link to Pension Funds. They are just pigs in the government trough and throw back a political donation here and there. The tide is turning and its time for these Feed Lots to leave the West Coast waters.

Govenment and farms would be seud by the countries they are suppling the farmed fish too(just like if they promised more oil /gas to those countrys and stopped providing), if they stopped supply that $ amount could be in the billions they would sue for.

CBC had a panel on air between 8:50 and 9:00 where it was mentioned the province is currently discussing with First Nations the issue of Fish Farm tenure renewals. Lets hope the First Nations can save us from killing off the last Wild Salmon and force these operators onto land based systems.

“This risk is simply too great,” Inslee said. “It is no longer acceptable to the people of the state of Washington to expose our waters to the threat of Atlantic salmon net pens.” The Gov has spoken like a leader.

Rotting, derelect old canneries up and down this coast shout out just how productive nature can be. In fact these canning plants dumped literally tons of fish on land and sea because they could not handle nature's "fish farm" efficiency. One female produces up to 5000 eggs. Re-hab every salmonoid stream and creek in this province and re-employ all those hundreds of small trolling rigs. Revive coastal towns with jobs in fishing and tourism and the kids will have a place to afford a home and stay in the community. Tourists love to catch fish... and so on. Enriching the fish farm corporate few at the destruction of wilderness is cynical immorality.

This is a tangled web and will get worse as time goes on. Remember some FNs are stakeholders in fish farms, either through partial ownership or because the farms are significant employers in their territory. Some FN are opposed to the farms, but others support them. No government will take action that impacts businesses and employment without serious consideration. The optics are bad when their actions directly cause lost jobs.

The other big factor here is the balance with the greens. Horgan is showing signs of a more relaxed approach to LNG, if he puts that into action and allows the project to go ahead in Howe Sound, then he'll need a trade item to appease Weaver & Co. Something newsworthy like a clampdown or shutdown of fish farms could be just the ticket. It would play well with the Lower Rainland voters.

Fish Camp, Nobody said the supply is going to stop. Just needs to be remove from our waters and placed on land.

This is a significant and courageous decision by the WA government. Keep in mind the industry is small in the WA, this will impact a few hundred jobs, and the phase out will take until 2025. It will act as a good experiment in Puget Sound to see if getting rid of the farms helps the runs. The Puget sound fish still need to run the gauntlet of BC farms though.

Unfortunately the Industry is much larger in BC, and the government has less courage. If the pens come out of the water the jobs will be gone, land based pens are not going to be economically viable in BC with the high land costs in accessible areas, or the high building/operating costs in more remote areas. Land operations need to be big, and close to the markets. Its many more jobs in BC, in smaller communities, so it will be a tough political decision to make. I dont think Horgan/weaver have the courage to do anything except "study the problem"

As for supply, on the world stage BC is still a relatively small player, supply will be taken up by production in Chile, east coast and Europe. The operators will expand operations elsewhere and send the feed supply there, as if demand is there they will find a way to supply the fish. There will sill be be lots of farmed salmon for those that want it in the stores.

I just forwarded the arcticle to our fabulous fisheries and oceans minister, Dominic Leblanc.
Be incredible if we could see at least some changes for the positive and begin removing these desease infested pens from our beautiful oceans!!

email: dominic.leblanc@parl.gc.ca

Back