What do you keep on your boat for tools and spares?

BigReel

I had an issue at the dock the other day (water in fuel) and it made me realize my kit wasn't fully stocked for some issues that could come up on the water.

Some people are more prepared because of the species fished and areas they travel to. While others just hope for the best and regret it when something comes up.

So what does everyone keep for spares and tools on the boat?

Range of tools for everything from fixing downriggers to fishing rods. Small kicker tank , spare net, flashlight, handheld VHF, spare downrigger belts and at least one extra cannonball. First aid kit, several extra knives. I used to carry a hali harpoon-- not any more. But this month I went through the boat and removed probably 40 lbs of extra "junk" that crept up on me..... edit : spare prop as well

Last edited:
In addition to most of the above and required safety gear I carry
Spare key for outboard
Tye wraps (blue) to replace lanyard kill switch
8ft of tuna cord for downriggers.
Short piece of fuel line with fittings to bypass filter
Combination wrenches (1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4)
Propeller with tools to change
Extra rod and reel
200ft of 3/8th rope and small anchor and chain.
Waterproof grab bag with tinned food and water, tarp, lighter etc.
Compact battery jumper.
This year I am also carry a PLB.
Things I no longer carry include spark plugs and fuel filters

These are for a 16ft open boat.

Last edited:
Stainless hose clamps!
Shrink tube, black tape, zip ties, electrical connectors, extra wire, extra d/rigger parts.
FUSES!
Wire stripper/crimper, side cutters, needle nose, and about 6 knives including a Leatherman...

Tool box with the obvious variety of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. Spare props for main motor and kicker. Spare fuel filter. Just cause I'm a bit paranoid I carry extra spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, coil, v-belts, spare keys, hand pump, first aid kit plus more stuff.... extra trailer bearings, seals... too much stuff

Fuel Primer Bulb

They seem to dry out and crack, then a micro hole opens up and your engine starts sucking air.

Most of the above plus some form wire and a decent length of good duct on a golf pencil.

Need to look at the 1st aid kit. Tinned food, eh. hmm

i carry a spare starter, alternator and filters for the cummins as well as most of the above except the golf pencil and length of duct tape

In addition to most of the already mentioned items, here’s my list;
1. Too many spare cannon balls - can’t have enough!
2. 2 Installed automatic bilge pumps.
3. Manual bilge pump
4. Wooden bung to plug a hole - I once sheared off a 3/4” high speed pick up at a launch ramp.
5. 100 ‘ of 3/4” polyprop floating tow line.
6. 2 fire extinguishers
7. Small bottle of hydraulic fluid for steering system
8. Older IPad with navionics and a Garmin Glo GPS/Glonass receiver
9. TOILET PAPER
10. Spare life jackets
11. Sea sickness pills, including ginger, and wrist bands
12. Deadhead marker sticks
13. Spare counters/belts for downriggers
14. Spare thumb screws for Scotty rod holders, downriggers, etc
15. Head light
16. 2 installed transducers
17. Spare downrigger
18. Spare downrigger line
19. Extra downrigger power socket installed.
20. In addition to spare fuses, I carry spare running light bulbs
21. 2 oz. kit of Marinetex epoxy repair paste
22. Cotter pins
23. 12 volt Power booster pack
Mostly small stuff that doesn’t take up too much room on a 21ft. boat.
Travel Safe
Stosh

Most of the above plus some form wire and a decent length of good duct on a golf pencil.

Need to look at the 1st aid kit. Tinned food, eh. hmm
For those times you get caught and need to spend the night over on Hardwick or the mainland, until the wind dies down.

I'll ad that I also carry a spare Scotty receptacle with wire connected and basically heavy alligator clips to go straight off battery if one of my plugs stops working. I didn't think this up someone on here posted it years ago but it has been pretty handy.

I carry a spare bilge pump with 8 feet of hose and wired to alligator clips in case mine or another boats need to be pumped out, and I carrry a Scotty plug on ten feet of 10 gauge as like a jumper cables for down rigger on the opposite site that my battery is on

Back