2018 Sockeye predictions/banter/pump-up

2014, which was a very good return,was the last year not affected by "the Blob" of warm water that moved into the North Pacific,and since then the last 3 years, the sockeye have returned at about a 1/3 of the per-season prediction.The 2018 return was still affected by the Blob, which apparently has broken up and dispersed in 2017, so it's anybodies guess what the return will be. The heavy snowfalls that have been happening in the interior are a good thing as it may provide enough cool water to keep river temperatures at a level that doesn't require additional escapement. We do not want another dry ,hot Summer.

Who "expected" 2010.. that's all I'm gunna say. None of us know **** until we drop our lines in September. I'll be up in discovery passage in august so I'll give u guys a 2 week heads up

We will know by late july based on area 12 and area 20 seine catches. We should also have an idea of survival rates based on skeena returns earlier. I just hope we get the chance to drop our lines.

Where they travel is important for catches too. In 2010 the dominant run filled the Strait of Juan de Fuca off Sooke in August and you couldn't keep them off. The 2o14 dominant run decided to travel the Inside Passage and I caught just two the whole season. So notwithstanding a decent run for 2014, the Strait of JDF was empty.

2014, which was a very good return,was the last year not affected by "the Blob" of warm water that moved into the North Pacific,and since then the last 3 years, the sockeye have returned at about a 1/3 of the per-season prediction.The 2018 return was still affected by the Blob, which apparently has broken up and dispersed in 2017, so it's anybodies guess what the return will be. The heavy snowfalls that have been happening in the interior are a good thing as it may provide enough cool water to keep river temperatures at a level that doesn't require additional escapement. We do not want another dry ,hot Summer.

I've been thinking the same thing. There's a ton of snow everywhere, even in Alberta. I heard in 2016 there were rivers that had such low water levels, spawner salmon couldn't get upstream to do the deed. Hoping the abundance of snow helps 2 fold... enough water for fish to get upstream and enough water to cool things off. Fingers crossed. Just a thought, I wonder if it would actually be better to have some retention during the non-spawning years and zero retention during the spawn years such as 2018. It would take all the pressure off from netting etc and give things a kick start for the coming years. Who knows.

anybody ever use those “google eyed wild things” for sockeye? i bought a bunch a while back for chum but never used them. heard they can work. i’ll be dragging my usual mp 15s just curious is all

anybody ever use those “google eyed wild things” for sockeye? i bought a bunch a while back for chum but never used them. heard they can work. i’ll be dragging my usual mp 15s just curious is all

Yes I have, in act just put new leader on two of them. Have not seen them for sale
lately. Never used them for Chums, but they work well on Sockeye. ........BB

Back