Tomic Plug Hooks

Perfect! I think it will be the year of the plug for me. I often fish off Sidney and pender in the summer, and I hear the bait is mostly needlefish, so I might try a lower profile version?!

Perfect! I think it will be the year of the plug for me. I often fish off Sidney and pender in the summer, and I hear the bait is mostly needlefish, so I might try a lower profile version?!
If I were you, get at least these two to start - RVP2#500uvbii and the RVP2#602uvbii. Troll them together at a good clip. If you prefer to fish bait on one side get the tubby versions as they run better at a slower speed.

I would echo WaterWolf’s suggestion.

I may be in the minority or considered off base by some, but I don’t know that you ‘have’ to match the bait fish. Would a big fat tyee really pass up a lazy opportunity of a slow moving plug? I’d bet their eyes bulge and jump out of their heads at the sight of something like that. Considering how hard they’ve been hitting my plugs, I’d say no.

I like to keep it simple. Locate fish, pass something in front of them, either they take it or they don’t. Stick with what works. If an army truck hoochie works, what the heck does it resemble?:eek: If everyone is catching on an army truck hoochie, perhaps it’s more because that’s what everyone is using?

If I were you, get at least these two to start - RVP2#500uvbii and the RVP2#602uvbii. Troll them together at a good clip. If you prefer to fish bait on one side get the tubby versions as they run better at a slower speed.
Thanks, I appreciate the help, and sorry for hijacking the thread. I was wondering what does the RVP stand for, and are these two colour combos available at most major tackle shops or am I going straight to Tomic for them?
Cheers!

Thanks, I appreciate the help, and sorry for hijacking the thread. I was wondering what does the RVP stand for, and are these two colour combos available at most major tackle shops or am I going straight to Tomic for them?
Cheers!

I would order direct from Tomic. You get exactly what you want. Just give them a call.

If you buy a 1/2 dozen or so, they usually throw in a factory second (I've never been able to spot the flaw). The lady there is super friendly.

Cheers!

PNT Parksville has a good selection...I'll post up a pic this afternoon...

Nice job on the barb crimp Derby. My first "Pilchard day" was in 2003 out at S/W corner mid-sept. Springs to 38 Coho's in the 20's. Used 6" Coyote Cop Car's. If you look at pictures of Sardines (cousin of Pilchards) something with black spots on the centerline is probably best with a bit of blue & yellow throw-in fits my preferences. Back in 2010 or so took a 16" Pilchard outta a Spring's stomach caught at S/W corner, so big seems to be better.
Heard from 2 reliable sources from Ukee that after 2011 or so the Pilchards & the big white Springs were 40 miles out & 400ft deep as the Draggers were pulling them up. Since that time the Pilchard population has crashed.

A bit north of Ukee seems to be their north most point of migration; they come-up from California.

Hi Stizzla. There is an outfit in the US that makes needlefish plugs - Pogue Plugs. One on their colors is similar to the tomic 602 color.

The plugs referenced by Waterwolf2230 are probably of limited availability. Probably best to get them direct from Tomic . If you are fishing needlefish, you will probably be deep. As such I'd be tempted to order the plugs as referenced by Waterwolf2230 in a glow version ("G" suffix at the end on the plug number). Since the plug is a uvbii (UV body iridescent insert) they will paint a stripe of glow paint on the belly an inch or so wide. For size I'd stay 5" or less.

FYI best needlefish lure I ever used was a tube fly I made myself with a body of blue/pink/white Polar Bear. Use teflon tubing about 3" long & 3/8" diameter. Starting at the hook end, put Chenille (silver, UV pink, Glow) up the the tubing 1/2" shy of the end, then tie-on the Polar Bear. Tie a hoochie leader of 50# & a 4/0 S/S mooching hook & run it 32" behind a small 8" flasher of choice.

Derby; how long would it take to have sex with every plug on the wall?

Fishonator makes pencil plugs. I hear he's pretty backed up with orders though

I have tried the RVP plugs with good results and may order a few more, but was wondering in Waterwolfs recommendation, what the 2 in RVP2, stands for?? I get the rest of the formulas. Excuse if I'm missing something.

I have tried the RVP plugs with good results and may order a few more, but was wondering in Waterwolfs recommendation, what the 2 in RVP2, stands for?? I get the rest of the formulas. Excuse if I'm missing something.
Now you are making me go DEEP into my memory banks...Okay, the original RVP series had a 'Plaid' insert. RVP2 (2nd generation) was switched to a iridescent insert that has UV properties. The nose is bright orange and the belly either has a glow stripe from from to back about 1" wide or a chartreuse stripe (less common).

As for using them deep. I had tremendous success with them last summer fishing at times 300' in Campbell River. I'm also less concerned with matching the baitfish to the size of the plug. IMO they create/entice reaction bites. All or most of those fish that are down south at some point eat big herring. Last summer in CR I caught many salmon that had 10"+ herring in their belly. It's not like it's a foreign entity to them. I prefer Tubby's over the classics...

WW

Back