How can we help the SFI do a more effective job?

oldtimer

What we are doing to save our Sports-fishery is not working. The members of the SFBC forums should be a powerful lobby group but they are disorganized and need leadership. That leadership has to come from the SFI. How can we help them do a more effective job because we are losing the battle?

Last edited:
The SFI advocates for guides, lodges, and commercial interest....not the average angler. While in many areas the issues align, they are still different in many ways between the two groups. If SFI wants to take on that roll I can support that, but do they?

The SFI represents the business end of sportfishing. Lodges, marinas, guides, tackle stores, manufacturers, boat yards etc. The average Joe needs representation too...that means all the existing groups working together on issues common to all. Halibut and Fraser River Chinook are the two big priorities that need that to happen.

If something was to go down it would be a coalition of all sectors working together as it is a Canadian common property for all to access.......

Fraser River Chinook

Is river anglers beleive that recreation fishing should only be alloud in the Fraser river. Once they get into the ocean they should be left to the whales.

Freds zealot recreations anglers and guides probably beleive that.

I’m joking about that

I beleive last year fishing with rod even stated when the Fraser river was closed to chinook and the ocean was open that you could only fish for chinook in Vancouver if you were rich.

Tho I bet I’d push comes to shove you will find the recreational community so diss jointed.

Think we need one common voice for our interests and lobbying (much more powerful, one direction, one message, more funding/efficiency), rather than the split up way it is now (SVIAC, WCFGA, etc).
I agree 100% with Serengeti and I think the goal moving forward should be to try and organize all the members of the Sportsfishing community into one solid united coalition. We need to bring all of these splinter groups together under one roof. The SFBC forum is potentially the most powerful lobby group within the BC Sportsfishing community and this would seem like the logical place to start to build a strong united coalition? The BCWF with it's 50k members along with the SFI membership should also be included in this new organization.

Back