Stanley - Not Guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 words: "peremptory challenge"

Last edited:
FN is 4% of the Canadian population.
12 person jury.
Straight math has one juror with 1/2 FN bloodline.
Premptory challenge had been a feature of the system for many moons, not a bug.
Don't overhaul the system for the one time in a hundred it doesn't work out the way you want.
Not sure if the politicians can make me more disappointed than by their comments on this case.

Last edited:
Ok, I will bite.
All six FN are on the jury for a 50% makeup, the other six vote the same way they just did.
Hung jury.
I don't see a quick fix here with the premptory challenge.

Shouldn't there need to be a justification for the premptory challenge, GS?

I am not sure, I hate getting into technical arguments concerning 'rights'.
A jury of your peers is a basic tenet of our justice system.
Who gets to pick the peers?
It is supposed to protect the accused, so that would give some weight to a small number of premptory challenges could address that.

Trial by jury is enshrined in the Charter, but how that looks is not proscribed in any detail.

This issue is so big because of North Battleford, Sask.
I have known a few good ol'boys from that area, and this is not surprising.
Along the lines of why did he screw up and leave witnesses.

From Reddit:

"I'm going to hijack to post some facts of the case, because as near as I can tell, the media is obscuring the true details of this case:

The last 5 chiefs of Red Pheasant have been Larry Wuttunee, Stewart Baptiste, Charles Meechance, Sheldon Wuttunee, Clint Wuttunee.

Here are the people in the car:

Kiora Wuttunee-Campbell, daughter of Sheldon Wuttunee.

Eric Meechance, son or nephew of Charles Meechance

Colton Boushie, nephew of Stewart Baptiste

Cassidy Cross AKA Cassidy Cross-Whitestone, Aka Cassidy Wuttunee-Whitstone - Original reporting has him as Cassidy Wuttunee, and initial reporting had one of Clint's kids in the car. People assumed it was Kiora, but it's actually probably Cassidy

Belinda Jackson - seems to be no one.

Each chief mentioned, besides Larry, has been indicted a ton of times. Some of these charges may sound familiar; drunk driving leading to a suspended license, drunk driving on a suspended license, assault, poaching, fraud, and every single one of them has been indicted for corruption while in office, and booted from their position. Except Clint, Clint is currently being indicted for corruption. There are two chiefs mentioned who are literally in court right now heh. In fact, if you google each chief's name, you can see their kids frequently have warrants issued for assault, armed robbery, and rape.

All these chiefs are quoted as if they are not directly related to everyone in the car. All these chiefs are related, too. Red Pheasant has been spending a substantial percentage of their budget defending these corrupt chiefs since at least 2009. These scumbags rotate in and out of office.

Where have we seen corrupt chiefs kicking up a stink to distract from mismanagement on the band? cough Theresa Spence.

So, I would like to offer an alternative narrative. These adults were literally the most privileged people on the reserve. Each of their closely related parents / uncles have been indicted on similar crimes while they are the damned chiefs. Red Pheasant has been embroiled for nearly a decade trying to get these scumbags out of office. Clint is currently being indicted for corruption. Apparently the band is being drained by all these court cases.

And then along comes a distraction in the form of Boushie. It's wonderful. It gets the band to circle the wagons, and gets Clinton's name out of the news. I mean blame white people, that's the ticket, right?

When all the facts are presented, instead of the 'damned white people' narrative to blame for this incident, it appears Meechance, Wuttunee, Wuttunee, Boushie-Baptiste, are merely doing what their family does. Thieving drunk scumbags.

Meanwhile the people of Red Pheasant suffer, as the corrupt chiefs engage in a media dog and pony show to distract everyone.

Never let a good tragedy to to waste!

Oh and if you google each chief's name, it seems armed robbery and assault are a familial occupation. You can find a bunch of warrants and indictments for the members of this family on the internet. Given these details are not public record, but only show up when there are news articles, it's likely this is the tip of the iceberg."

............................................................................................................................................

And there is more. MUCH More: https://amp.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/7wt9ey/after_stanley_verdict_lawyers_say_political/

In this case, it would seem the upbringing and role models of those involved may well have played a serious role in what came down...

SAD!
Nog

Each chief mentioned, besides Larry, has been indicted a ton of times. Some of these charges may sound familiar; drunk driving leading to a suspended license, drunk driving on a suspended license, assault, poaching, fraud, and every single one of them has been indicted for corruption while in office, and booted from their position. Except Clint, Clint is currently being indicted for corruption. There are two chiefs mentioned who are literally in court right now heh. In fact, if you google each chief's name, you can see their kids frequently have warrants issued for assault, armed robbery, and rape.

Canada's version of black lives matter, You could say the same thing for most of the poor black families with lots of relatives that have lengthy criminal records.

The lefty politicians have took it, blown it up and ran with it.

Reconciliation, is the name and game. First Nations have just become the government's pawn to try to push around their agenda. Look how JT the selfie master paraded them around Victoria .

Jagmeet Singh jumps firmly onto the dogpile!

There was no justice for Colten Boushie. Already Indigenous youth live with little hope for their future & today they have again been told that their lives have less value.

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/962205775828434945

Unreal just how far these SLIME-BALLS will go to try and gain a little political traction from this situation! :mad:

Nog

Another point of view from another site:

What is a national shame is when Alfred Wagner of Bonnyville, AB was murdered in his home by thieves who came onto his land to steal a pick-up truck.

What's a national shame is when an elderly woman from Debden, SK is beaten with a wooden baseball bat in her own home by thieves.

What's a national shame is when Kirk DeSchryver from Denzil, SK is ran over twice by thieves on his farm who were there to steal his ATV.

What's a national shame is when Ian Thompson's Port Colborne, ONT farmhouse is firebombed with maltov cocktails by tresspassers.

What's a national shame is when at 2 am a pregnant mother near Hardisty, AB hears her vehicle start up on her farm she goes out to investigate and has a loaded gun pointed at her as the thieves leave her property.

What is a national shame is that people living in rural areas have to fear for their lives when they hear a vehicle roll up on their driveway. Is this someone looking for help, is this a friend, or is this someone here to steal your stuff, burn your house down, assualt you, ram you with a vehicle, trash your property or even murder you?

What is a national shame is when a man doing some daily chores with his son on his farm is forced to defend his family and his home when a vehicle with 5 black-out drunk violent thieves with a loaded weapon, on a crime spree involving multiple victims decide to come on to his property, ram his vehicles, attempt to steal property and use their vehicle to try and hit the people living there.

What is a national shame is when the media and politicians then use the dead criminal as a prop to further divide a country, to race bait, to demonize rural citizens, to deceive, to try and distract from the actual problem of unchecked rural crime, to promote an atmosphere tense with fear and anger, to shut down any discussion by calling people racist.

In any of those situations who would hesitate to defend their family by any means necessary? If we stop looking at this issue through a colored lens we can see the problem for what it truly is.

Anybody who's seen the brass from Stanley's pistol knows that gun did not go off as the result of an intentional trigger press.

Stanley was legally entitled to fire warning shots from that gun, and the judge specifically instructed the jury that the warning shots were legal.

The gun was out of battery when it went off and there isn't any possible way this wasn't the case - take a look at the brass; it's completely blown out from an OOB discharge. The testimony the Stanleys gave lines up perfectly with the evidence. I'm not thrilled about the gun handling, but if you have a serious obsession with not getting shot, as some people do, try to limit the number of farms you rob while so wasted you can barely stand, and you'll be less likely to run into someone with weak gun handling skills and an POS old commie gun shooting ancient ammo who screws up and puts a round through your head after it cooks off in a hangfire or gets caught with the primer against the corner of the ejection port or similar when the guy is grappling with you in your car distracted because he isn't sure if you've already run over his wife or maybe you're going to run over his son or maybe he isn't sure but it seems like things have gone seriously haywire and he probably isn't hell and hot with a pistol to begin with.

This was a tough situation for this man and his family. Gerald Stanley did not get up that morning intending to kill anyone. Those thieves got up that morning with the intention of having another day of stirring up ****. They went out looking for trouble and they found what they were looking for. My personal beilief is that no possession is worth someone's life but if that man felt threatened that day then I believe he acted in a manner he felt was right. It's simple really, you don't want to get shot don't be a criminal very simple process. Where is the love, where is the care for these criminals when they are alive why is it after they are gone they were so cared for.

When you have leaders of our country making statements like Trudeau made it does nothing but throw gas on the fire. What a complete moron and embarrassment that man is to this country. I'm ashamed he is my PM. I read a comment by a Sask farmer from that area stating the fact that should be stated. He said it's not a race issue, it's a crime issue. He hit the nail on the head.

I gotta say nogs post earlier nailed it all spot on. Would love to see that info on the news and the pm comments about that. Amazing what plays out on the news and how parliament reacts to it Just another way to buy votes. Makes me sick.

Opinion
The Stanley verdict and its fallout is a made-in-Saskatchewan crisis

The people of Saskatchewan are all treaty people. The intent of the treaties is to establish a working relationship. One of trust and co-operation. The events of last week would indicate that day remains a long ways off.

I suspect you are simply posting yet another related article.
As such I will not critique it much beyond the "long suffering relationship" is in desperate need of repair.
I find that highly unlikely any time soon following this mess, given all the information in hand.
Nor would I personally be offering one were I to be living in that neck of the woods once again...

Matt

Last edited:
I have not followed this story closely or have any specific details all I have to say is I do believe in accountability. What happens to you if you decide to do others harm, ill or take what they worked for their whole life is YOUR ACCOUTABILITY, be it a bullet to the head or a smack in the nose, you made the decision. Be accountable, its not the fault of your victim.

HM

As a FN person, I have debated long on whether to give my thoughts on this trial and this will be only post in regards to what is a much more bigger issue - that cannot be solved here.

The way I see it, a tragedy took place on a Saskatchewan farm and only God and Mr Stanley truly know what happened on the fateful day of Aug. 11, 2016. All the armchair quarterbacking, Monday morning lawyering and political posturing, overt (and outright) racism claims (on both sides) will not and cannot change that outcome.

Like everyone else who was not there, I don't have all the answers, but I do know one thing; the legal system needs to change, attitudes need to change (on both sides) and we all have to change as people - no matter your ethnic or ancestral background.

The continuous bickering, finger pointing and arguing here and every other forum and social media platform over FN vs non FN rights - including fishing is not solving any problems and only gives me pause for thought of one thing.

Anyone remember the movie, Platoon and the ending scene where Charlie Sheen's voiceover says:

I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. And the enemy was in us.

Although that is a fictional quote, there is substantial and real life meanings in it...Really think about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back