Alouette Lake Kokanee

Beauty day, 5-6 other boats out there. Including 3 guys in a 12 foot jon boat that had about 4" of free board way up in the a narrows, brave souls.

Lucky it was a very calm day by any standard, let alone there was no typical afternoon blow up out there. They said they got one kokanee by the first set of pilings across from the launch.

I only managed this little rainbow, with a couple bites here and there. Rainbow was taken with a Luhr Jensen Shoehorn (#1573) with a 24" leader to an all pink wedding band with small piece of UV brined shrimp.

No thermocline established, water was 5-6 degrees C, ~41F. Couple weeks of warm weather to go yet.

That said I will be out next week (might try Pitt instead) for the early spring/first run of the year shake down on my boat.

rainbow.jpg IMG_20180212_152422.jpg

Last edited:
Went for a night bite last night. Worked the west shore right out from the launch then cut across and worked the pilings. About a 2 hour loop.

Saw few fish on the surface right, what appeared to be small school of kokanee. Only one other boat, we passed 2 guys in a tinny in the first bay on the west shore, with a very smokey outboard. They were headed back to the launch as we were just getting started around 5pm. Not sure if they had any luck.

Nothing for the first hour and 45 mins. Then a double header of kokanee to end the day. Up top. Cold and rainy, but no wind.

Water temps we 44-45 degrees.

Soon...

Went for a night bite last night. Worked the west shore right out from the launch then cut across and worked the pilings. About a 2 hour loop.

Saw few fish on the surface right, what appeared to be small school of kokanee. Only one other boat, we passed 2 guys in a tinny in the first bay on the west shore, with a very smokey outboard. They were headed back to the launch as we were just getting started around 5pm. Not sure if they had any luck.

Nothing for the first hour and 45 mins. Then a double header of kokanee to end the day. Up top. Cold and rainy, but no wind.

Water temps we 44-45 degrees.

Soon...

I went fishing in the ocean yesterday. Fished From bell,QA,Cowen to Rogar Curtis nothing but unders and Pcod. All the usual depths and gear. I fished Alouette Lake a couple weeks before (report on FWR) and it was way to cold. Nothing out there, glad you found some. Did u use bait?

Yep, the double header came on one side with UV pink brined shrimp, other side was worm. Both on blades with 24" to 36" leaders to wedding band + bait.

I usually pick up a trout or two incidentally, but not this time. Short time on the water though, only 2 hours or so.

Man, I see the size and numbers of kokanee being taken from lakes in Washington State right now, it should would be nice to manage a fishery at Alouette, Cultus, Stave or Chilliwack Lake like that. 10 to 25 fish limits, 2 to 5lbers. Nuts.

Yep, the double header came on one side with UV pink brined shrimp, other side was worm. Both on blades with 24" to 36" leaders to wedding band + bait.

I usually pick up a trout or two incidentally, but not this time. Short time on the water though, only 2 hours or so.

Man, I see the size and numbers of kokanee being taken from lakes in Washington State right now, it should would be nice to manage a fishery at Alouette, Cultus, Stave or Chilliwack Lake like that. 10 to 25 fish limits, 2 to 5lbers. Nuts.

Do those Washington State lakes have high freshwater flows? I know of some good Kokanee Lakes in the Interior but the lakes don't flush like the ones you just mentioned!

No idea. Just jealous. I'm on the "Kokanee Kings" facebook page, crazy to see the size and numbers out of Wa.State, Montana etc.

From what I gather is they fertilize.

Heading out after work today. Going to spend added time chasing bulls, but will set out a high line for rainbows, cutties and kokes as well.

How is the road to the launch? I heard there are some low hanging trees that might hit a tall boat on the way in.

The road in was totally clear. Didn't notice any low hanging trees.

In other news, the kokanee are active and shallow. Caught a few in one spot then decided to go after some bulls, to no avail. Was fooled by one large pikeminnow that got the adreneline pumping for a minute.

We were the only boat on the water. Some nice breaks in the weather. Little wind, but the occasional downpour kept things interesting. Nice to be in my buddy's boat that has a bimini.

The road in was totally clear. Didn't notice any low hanging trees.

In other news, the kokanee are active and shallow. Caught a few in one spot then decided to go after some bulls, to no avail. Was fooled by one large pikeminnow that got the adreneline pumping for a minute.

Glad you did not catch all the fish - going up on Monday for the day. Weather looks promising!

No risk of running out of kokanee in that lake. Wish they got bigger, but it is what it is.

I'll be out Sunday/tomorrow. Good luck.

Well, easier said than done sometimes. Was out in my boat yesterday. Couldn't find any schools. A couple of bites in 5 hours. Thats it. Didn't see any nets out, heard of a fish or two caught. When we got to the lake there were 5 boats working the pilings, by the time we geared up and trolled up, they were gone, I guess not much action for them either at what is usually a good spot to pick off a few while getting started.

Did a couple of passes through the narrows without a sniff. An absolutely beauty day on the water, sun most of the day and little to no wind at all.

Starting to get busy, must have been 25 boats on the water. Got to the launch at 8:45am whch is a bit late to avoid the crowd, but the launch was smooth, most guys seemed to know what they were doing and it flowed well. One guy that launched a 16-17 Legend was quite pleased that he managed to launch solo, so much so that he had to comment out loud toward me and my friend. "THAT'S HOW YOU LAUNCH BY YOURSELF!!!" - congrats, champ.

It was weird that it was so slow out there, water temps from 45 to 49.5 by mid day...

Had some difficulty starting my main motor at the launch, so just decided to troll from the launch straight away. A couple hours of trolling later, I got the motor to fire no problem, and started throughout the rest of the day without issue. Seems to respond better with the fast idle engaged and full throttle, then turn key. Even though the manual says to simply push in choke and turn it over, saying NOT to use fast idle.

Had three guys in the boat, and a days worth of food and drink. Hit 47.8 MPH with the 115hp. It likes to run.

Got some funny looks launching my tank on Saturday lol. Ran some differnt props and broke in the new kicker. Had the sonar on and marked alot 90 to 110 so maybe the fish were too deep for some guys.

Enroute now. I'm a sucker for punishment, on a day like today.

Last edited:
What a great night on the water. Warm gentle westerly wind. Only a couple other boats out there. Not a ton of action, but had a great time on the water.

A couple kokes, nothing major to report. Spent some time getting to know a lesser worked area that is showing some promise for sure.

Can't state again how nice it was on the water...feels good in the soul.

Swallows swarming, osprey nesting, eagles soaring, mergansers meandering, even a loon! Which was a first to my recollection on Alouette.

Back