Thieves in Coombs steal Yama kicker

Redfisher

Just discovered today that thieves made off with my Yamaha 9.9 kicker (2006) and my Lowrance 5" sounder from my boat. I suspect it was on boat show weekend. These guys were organized. If anyone comes across any great deals on something sounding like either info appreciated. Cops figure it will likely end up south island or on the mainland.

Sorry to hear that Steve. Really sucks. Happened to me a few years ago. Definitely knew what they were doing with mine too. It was bolted and locked.

They probably are trying to get money for penis enlargements.
Sorry Steve. I’ve had cars broken into and it makes me sick to my stomach. I’m always looking for both of those items in the South Island and will keep my ears to the pavement. Pm me if there are any distinguishable features. Those pieces of excrement might be watching this thread. If you are, you dirty thieves, I hope you get a terrible disease.

Sux to hear that redfisher. I highly recommend everyone write down and keep the serial numbers off all there motors and electronics and riggers. Had my scotty hp's stolen in the summer and without the serial numbers they pretty much cant do anything if they do recover them.

I take pics on my phone of all my serial numbers. I've never had anything stolen but I use them all the time for parts and such. Would come in handy for theft too.

My insurance agent told me to do a video of everything in the house and shop. Open every drawer and cabinet. Talk about any special idea and film it. If your ever broken into chances are that you might forget something after the settlement. Also there is more chance they will believe you that your not padding your claim

Speaking of downrigger thefts... I spray painted the hinged covers/lids of my downriggers red so they would be hard to sell for a thief. They also match my boat now :)

Let’s see a pic!
If I could post an image here I would! Basically I popped off the covers, put some tape over the counter window, and did two coats with gloss red spray paint (it may have been specially designed for plastic - can't remember). It's stayed on just fine for one season and so far seems to be nice and durable. I think it might deter some thieves, especially if it's just a convenient grab at a dock or boatlaunch.

Derby had a couple of his covers done by friends in a very attractive pink with some additional decals. However I notice he no longer has those covers. I might need to borrow them to try to safeguard my downriggers.

I love the idea of painting the downriggers pink and I will probably go that route. I had a 9.9 Yamaha taken off my boat in Port Alberni a few years back and am still pissed off.

Got them on my riggers.... boats that are moorage around my boat in the marine have had there riggers taken and mine were left alone..i world say they work as a deterrent....

I posted this a few years ago, and still works well for me. The solar motion activated light is also a great idea. Once you swivel the riggers inboard and lock them together with the Seadog fitting, you could also use a length of chain and lock them to the boat.

Attachments

• 39086F0F-BCF0-4F36-979C-EE4B2250A4AD.jpeg
    39086F0F-BCF0-4F36-979C-EE4B2250A4AD.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 85
I know the Scotty locks are only a deterrent, but is anyone using them? What about locks for the kickers?

I got a couple of the McGuard locks for my new kicker after the old one was stolen. Like a wheel lock (need a "key" to lock onto the nut) but with an added feature of a rotating sleeve over the nut, which prevents someone simply clamping onto the nut with vice grips.

I am sure there are ways around this but it will definitely be a deterrent, and the way it looks to me they will have to bring a grinder to get it off this time.

I saw this at rpm in port alberni. It locks over your kicker bolts so they cant be turned.

Attachments

• 20180205_103149.jpg
    20180205_103149.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 109
Another friend in Qualicum lost his kicker 2 months ago. Another 9.9 Yamaha high thrust. Exactly same procedure with bolts removed and everything else cut off. He is busy building fences around his property.

I saw this at rpm in port alberni. It locks over your kicker bolts so they cant be turned.

I had the Fulton outboard lock installed when they stole my kicker several years ago. The assholes put a prybar of some type between the the lock and the transom and broke the handles off, then I guess they used vise grips to unscrew the bolts.

Back