Welder Wanted

halimark

Just got my next project, looking to upgrade welder. I have seen the welders on here and know what you are capable off, I am not that experienced, looking to build bumpers, armor, SAS on next Toy. Currently have cutting torch, 110 mig and 220 stick. Think this would be a good time to get that 220 wire feed. After some research I think the Millermatic 190 may be what I need, for now and future welding needs. Anyone have any leads on the Millermatic 190? I did see KMS has them coming on sale for $1259. Looking for info on recommendations and better price?

Thanks

HM

I thought about the 190 but went for the 211. Picked it up at kms for 1399 on boxing day. Im not an experienced welder but it was nice to see full penetration on 3/8 plate i was playing with. I think at that thickness the duty cycle becomes very important.

Might be worth going into barry hamel or western gasco and seeing what they can do for you. Face to face conversations always yield me a better price than a phone call. Ex rentals from ready ark are a good option as well.

i run a miller autoset 212. no complaintsbut sometimes wonder if i should have gone for the 252 but only because i want to weld aluminum

i run a miller autoset 212. no complaintsbut sometimes wonder if i should have gone for the 252 but only because i want to weld aluminum
I weld aluminum with my 211. Got the 150 spool gun. Works great.

I have the millermatic 180 with the 100 spoolgun. Works well, but I'd go with the miller 211/212 with the 150 spoolgun if I had to do it again. Saying that, the 18o work well for everything I've needed it for so far....

Am I correct, I think the 190 is the newer version? With the 150 spool gun it also does aluminum? Wish the miller site had the Cabelas "compare" function. So confusing, I have a couple days before sale to figure out.

HM

I'm pretty happy with my Miller 252 and spoolmate set-up. It's nice to have lots of power for thicker material.

yup definitely need the amperage with aluminum, you do not want to have to max out the machine because duty cycle will kick your butt

Sounds like your only after steel so, yes to answer your question the 190 will be just fine, sorry I can't really comment on price.
I am not a professional welder and have no formal training so my opinions are only based on my personal experiences so.....
I have a miller 252 with a 30a spool gun as well as a 255 lincoln square wave tig and find I use the tig for any aluminium or stainless jobs.
The spool gun is fine for big heavy aluminium ( .375" + ) jobs but.......I only use the mig for steel jobs, for me its just so much faster and easier and most times and it gives me results Im reasonably happy with however I really don't work with steel that often.
If I was a production shop and not a hobby guy or really skilled in one process or the other maybe it would be different?
I will say if you think in the future you may want to do more variety maybe invest in a tig machine now, it will save you some money in the long run.

Speaking as someone who welds for a living, the more power the better. If your only going to work with steel, with practice you can lay some beautiful beads with a properly setup "wire" machine. 0.35" s70 85/15 gas would be my choice.

If your going to work with aluminum you'll want a bottle of 100% argon.

Never welded aluminum, cut all out for hardtop and paid a welder to weld. Looking back should have bought a welder back then and welded myself. Only experience was high school welding maaany years ago and self taught hobbyist jobs in my shop. Just got new toy and want all new custom bumpers, armor and the frame SAS, (will tack as certified welder must weld) easier to pass inspection. Did last project (older SAS) with 220 stick, was thinking to upgrade the 220 to wire feed to make less grinding and easier welds. So far only steel 3/16 plate will be welded, lighter for looks and maybe 1/4 for frame brackets. With the 190 a spool gun can be added later for next aluminum what if project. The recommended 211,212 are more $, the 252 is in another league I think. Also $2600 lots more than the 190 @ $1200. Again it could be years between major projects, I usually build what I want then keep for 15+ years.

Really looking for real world knowledge to see if the 190 will work for project and I will be happy or use stick and save for bigger later.

HM

looking at the info the 211 it should do what your describing for steel but in my opinion would be useless for doing a nice job on aluminum, you need heat and settings to play with, too entry level of a machine in my opinion.

If your plan is to tack and have it welded up I would just stick with the arc machine. Fitup is the most important factor in a nice finished result.

Keep your eyes peeled for more powerful used machines if your on a budget, as someone said before you could even call a few weld suppliers and see what they have, fab shops will often trade equipment in as they upgrade. There are good deals to be had.

Out of interest what is SAS? Thanks

looking at the info the 211 it should do what your describing for steel but in my opinion would be useless for doing a nice job on aluminum, you need heat and settings to play with, too entry level of a machine in my opinion.

If your plan is to tack and have it welded up I would just stick with the arc machine. Fitup is the most important factor in a nice finished result.

Keep your eyes peeled for more powerful used machines if your on a budget, as someone said before you could even call a few weld suppliers and see what they have, fab shops will often trade equipment in as they upgrade. There are good deals to be had.
My first attempt ever at welding aluminum. 211 with 150 spoolgun at 100% Argon. That's 1/4" angle and was burning through on my next pass.Resized_20180117_171834.jpeg

My first attempt ever at welding aluminum. 211 with 150 spoolgun at 100% Argon. That's 1/4" angle and was burning through on my next pass.View attachment 36673
Looks pretty good!! I'm used to industrial equipment and use an xmt 350 and dynasty 350 when in the shop and d300 on my rig so admitadly I'm not very familiar with most lighter duty machines. The 211 in theory has the power to do the job but you are probably approaching the duty cycle of this machine welding 1/4" AL for any length of time.

Just trying to offer my opinion thanks for sharing the picture nice weld.

Sas- solid axle swap

Thanks Brando

Back