Gopro

Tips Up

Looking at getting a GoPro.
To film fishing, skiing, quadding...

I know nothing about them.

Costco has Hero 5 for $349

Any advise?

Thanks Tips

If you don’t mind an older model, buy used. I’ve got a few on my boat and even one on my net. All first, second and third Gen but If I lose one its no big deal cuz they cost me under $100 each. Plus if you find the right deal you can come away with a lot of extras like mounts, sd cards and cases.

Yes I second on the buy used if it’s your first. Where they get you is all the accessories. Get lots of battery packs if you can. I have a torpedo made for the downrigger with the clips and everything if you want to borrow it Graham.

Anybody know if you can "hard wire" GoPro's? I always find the battery situation a pain in the butt. Swapping out batteries continually or it dies in the heat of some monmental fish fight.

Hero 5 is a good Camera. They are all good. I have mine planted under my boats hardtop and hit the record button whenever the action starts. I can't live without it now.

Hmmm not sure why but I’ve noticed my gen one and two battery’s will last pretty much all day if I can remember to turn them off after each round of filming. Gen 3 lasts about a half day and I can’t say about newer models.

On a side note, if anyone’s filming a fish being landed with an iPhone, try the slo mo setting. It makes some pretty good video.

Thanks for feedback

I think I'll grab the Costco deal.
Comes with 2 batteries, charger, SD card and a few accessories.

I like that it is waterproof to 10 meters with no case needed and the voice activation will be nice on ski hill where it will get a lot of use. It was skiing backside of mountain on epic powder day last week with my 8 year old that triggered the idea. Proud dad moment but I was so caught up in it that I got no photos or film. Too much work to take off gloves and pull out phone.

How about the accessory packages on amazon?
Can get a ton of accessories in kit for about $35.
They are knock offs but anyone have experience with these?
Shouldn't be hard to knock off plastic mounts and adhesive.

Hero 5 black is a great camera, if you don't mind spending the extra few bucks, look into the hero6 black out of all the Gopro life it finally has built in stabilization
has a bit more packed into the camera, impressive camera had to have it.

I bought the remote that way i wasn't looking at the screen all the time or leaving it on by accident which will happen.. 13 min later oops ...
plus you can scroll through the remote to change settings, take pictures from a distance, if you decided to get more camera it will control quite a few more at once.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-fi-remote-armte-001-armte-001/10204298.aspx?

4 k burns more battery power then 1080p

buy a battery pocket charger trust me this is the best thing, this one down below packs a lot of juice and it has dual banks, bought it from Costco $19 on sale

https://www.costco.ca/PocketJuice-12,000-mAh-Portable-Charger-.product.100377421.html

Went with Costco hero 5 black.
Hero 6 does look better but price was good on 5 and I was at Costco anyways.

Now the learning begins.

Right away I need more helmet mounts and accessory mounts. I have 2 helmets to mount and would like mounts for my kids too so they can use.

So anyone have suggestions for cheap accessories?
Amazon packages any good?
These look cheapest and easiest.

I think all the mounts are about the same Graham no matter who you get them From. Just make sure if you do wipe out skiing that you don’t break the mount off and lose your new GoPro.

Thanks.
Are there certain accessories that you'd recommend. Ones you use most?

I'm thinking many helmet mounts.
And a selfie stick. Is it selfie stick used when filming under water shots beside boat?
Looks like some are floating sticks. Might be good?

Ours is mounted on a paint roller handle that extends about 8 ft fully extended. Used the wife’s wine **** collection to stuff the handle. Lol. Fits nice in the rod holder. That and the torpedo is all we use. Borrowed a buddies floating hand handle in Maui a couple years ago.

Don’t know about newer models but the older ones won’t record while charging.

It actually won’t be charging. It’s powered by the USB which is wired thru the no battery device directly inside the camera. I’m about to find out.

Ours is mounted on a paint roller handle that extends about 8 ft fully extended. Used the wife’s wine **** collection to stuff the handle. Lol. Fits nice in the rod holder. That and the torpedo is all we use. Borrowed a buddies floating hand handle in Maui a couple years ago.
Wine **** collection? Lol
I've heard of whiskey dick but that ones new. Lol

What mount did you use on paint pole?
Just a strap?

It’s sort of a home made mount. But I seen some proper ones you can buy. Even the handle bar mount would work.

Back