Halibut opening

I cant judge that without all the data that dfo collects but my point is regardless of june it's still a very small amount next to the total estimated harvest.

added:
Don't get me wrong I do understand the argument with the June numbers and I have been at this a long time with these halibut harvest data and models. I don't fish that area but looking at the big picture I'm just giving my honest 2 cents.

No problem and I had no idea that the south took so little in total catch. I know the area so I have different perspective. June is a ****** month anchoring wise. The effort is really small.

Last edited:
THANK you GLG I knew I saw it somewhere, like I stated before a small fart in a major wind storm. And I state right now ill never wish or want a pulse or closure on anyones fishing area.
As I hate to see it ruin a fisherman/women chance at fishing this is a Canadian resource and everyone should be entitled to it.

TRUST me when I say this You dont ever want restrictions put on you!!!! We in area 19/20 have been picked on for years for some unknown reason they have a huge hard on to f#@$ us over in this area..... ive asked many a time why and I never get a true answer.

Totally agree with GLG! Feb we probably lost because some "others" saw it fit to try and get the most for "THEM"

Im hoping that the new fishery's act that comes into effect for the east coast and the st Lawrence will take effect here on the west coast as that will take away the Greed of some of the slipper skippers but we will have to wait and see on that one. its simple we need more quota 85/15 isnt working and we need to WORK TOGETHER for the best for the province and OUR fishery we are all Rec fisherman........We all love to go fishing...

Wolf

Yup... it just hasn't been modeled yet and maybe it can be for the fall SFAC meeting and available for all to digest at those meeting... .. maybe a motion can be put forward for that is modelled at the March sfac meeting?... .... I know we will have a conversation at the area 17 meeting with a full run down on what went down for this year s reg....

area 19
Feb____12,368___1.09%
Mar____3,674___0.32%
Apr____8,446___0.74%
May___13,303___1.17%
Jun___26,738___2.35%
Jul____8,259___0.73%
Aug___14,667___1.29%

Sep____3,684___0.32%
Total__91,139___8.01%

I have questioned DFO’s sport catch estimates before.
Anyone who fishes Area 19 would agree June, July and August harvest numbers are wrong.
The dog fish move in (actually right thru October) and the halibut catch and goes way down!
Most guys don't bother much for halibut during these months.

yup, that's exactly why I'm questioning the catch and also suggesting that if we all did our log books we could stop the over-estimation and gain some TAC back. Those June numbers for Area 19 make zero sense to me, and the TAC in June alone is BC's entire TAC for Feb to April under 133 cm rules.

When people ask me what can I do, the easiest thing is complete accurate log books! By the way, always measure your retained (not released) fish with the tape measure on the floor, not across the top side of the fish - every cm matters...and, don't just guestimate either. Writing down 83 cm for every under size fish adds up fast. Nice to hear a few guys are doing log books, please keep it up!

If you think this year was hard, next year we could see another 15 to 30% reduction. Every pound matters.

On another topic...Area closures aren't a good option either because anglers are mobile, if we close one area and leave another open people just move. So you really aren't going to see a reduction of any significance.

before the first cup of coffee, her first answer was ITQ's, the very system that is the root of the problem for fair halibut access.. That says to me, that the powers that be consider the rec fishery to be more of a pain to manage, then a smaller commercial fleet, which would then deny everyone who lives on the coast a chance to enjoy the fishery without paying a guide to do so. Think PEI Tuna....

question for you guys that do log books, does DFO send you a report on what you have caught in electronic form? If so would some of you like to share them with me privately so I could extract some halibut data to look at what is going on down there.

Yes I get a report from DFO creel coordinator usually later in March
question for you guys that do log books, does DFO send you a report on what you have caught in electronic form? If so would some of you like to share them with me privately so I could extract some halibut data to look at what is going on down there.

I'm a sports fisherman not a guide and I keep a log book right on my licence. I got two halibut last year one 122 and one 83 so I'm not over fishing. And it also cost me a lot of money to get those two but I love it. I don't anchor or use a chum bag like some guides I know but that's the way they fish. And if sports fisherman get more tac it should go to them and not guide O it doesn't go to anybody but the license a sports fisherman buys right?

Not sure what your your question is but guides are personally allowed 6 halibut per season on their license just like you. The guides customers are fishermen just like you and are also entitles to 6 halibut each year. As the vast majority of lodge or guides customers visit the coast once a year at the most, they more often only take 1 or 2 halibut each year if they get any at all.

I've seen guides catch and keep there fish so if no fish are caught there customers go home with fish. And don't ask who as I won't say but been there and seen it. I know lodges need to keep there customers like any business but what I would like to know is about buying TAC from commercial guys? If this going on or not or is common practice?

The animals always look different when the waterhole dries up.

I’m pretty impressed that we made it
This far in and haven’t herd calls yet for resident only halibut licenses.

Or regulations like in Alaska where not resident have slot limits.

Anyone have the total catch by non resident?

I've seen guides catch and keep there fish so if no fish are caught there customers go home with fish. And don't ask who as I won't say but been there and seen it. I know lodges need to keep there customers like any business but what I would like to know is about buying TAC from commercial guys? If this going on or not or is common practice?

so if you take your friends fishing and they dont catch any..... do you give them some of yours? i do.. i call it sharing the harvest.

read more, learn more...stop trolling!

I'm a sports fisherman not a guide and I keep a log book right on my licence. I got two halibut last year one 122 and one 83 so I'm not over fishing. And it also cost me a lot of money to get those two but I love it. I don't anchor or use a chum bag like some guides I know but that's the way they fish. And if sports fisherman get more tac it should go to them and not guide O it doesn't go to anybody but the license a sports fisherman buys right?

just because you fish differently does that make us different?

are you a divide and conquer kind of politician? sounds like it.

read more, learn more ..... stop trolling.

Last edited:
The reason the 6 fish annual limit was brought in was to stop any guide from gifting fish to customers. Most guides want some fish in their freezers just like everyone else. I've had a few customers over the years ask how many fish we were allowed for the day. When I told them they said , what about your limit. I say the same thing, yes I'm entitled to my limit...but it's my limit. Your limit doesn't change just because you are fishing with me.

Back