Halibut opening

Question, have any of you ever seen the minutes of meetings DFO had with the Greens, the FN. the commercial sector?

What makes you think you are entitled to minutes from a group that it appears you do not belong to?

All this bla, bla, bla about a group that most it appears cannot be bothered to get involved with
Yet it appears have lots of time to trash it here because you do not agree with decisions it made.

Anyone who is a guide or who is deriving some money from this resource and is not involved is just plain stupid
This group, the SFAB directly effects you.

People who care about fish also should be involved as this group is the pipeline to DFO.

A lot of meetings of the SFAC’s are only getting 4 to 6 people showing up!
This number is quite normal for the lower mainland and Fraser valley groups.

Pretty sad.
Are you a member OBD? Do you really think meetings should be held behind closed doors or people unable to attend should have no voice? Wow pretty democratic! Anyway here's a quote from a Google search of DFO. Maybe it's no longer in effect? But what do you make of point 5.
Appendix A
SFAB Code of Conduct

The right to participate in an advisory process is accompanied by responsibilities. Those who participate in consultation processes should do so in good faith and with the public interest in mind. Participants have a responsibility to engage in effective, balanced and civil communication. As representatives of diverse interests in the recreational fishery they have a responsibility to ensure that they are accountable to their constituents, that government gets the information it needs to make well-informed and balanced decisions, and that all three levels of the SFAB process operate as efficiently as possible.

All SFAB participants should:

1. Maximize the exchange of information and minimize misunderstandings by:
    • speaking clearly, listening carefully and asking for clarification if a point is not understood;
    • sharing information related to the issues at hand;
    • stating concerns about other participants’ interests or the process openly and directly;
    • clearly explaining what is important to them and why;
    • stating their perspective as concisely and briefly as possible; and
  2. Ensure that others have the opportunity to speak, that all perspectives are taken into account and that a respectful atmosphere is maintained by:
    • respecting each others’ values and interests;
    • avoiding accusatory language, rude behavior and stereotyping;
    • listening to what others have to say without interrupting;
    • beginning meetings on time;
    • seeking a better understanding of other perspectives with an open mind; and
  3. Ensure accountability to local, regional or province-wide constituencies by:
    • making every effort to attend all important meetings, or sending an alternate;
    • establishing clear lines of accountability with those they represent;
    • communicating pertinent information to their constituencies regularly;
    • acting quickly to raise and resolve any concerns regarding the accountability of the process or any of the representatives to protect the integrity and trust of the group.
  4. When negotiating in the advisory process, facilitate agreements across the full spectrum of interests by:
    • negotiating in good faith, building as much agreement as possible;
    • avoiding participation in activities that may undermine the negotiation;
    • focusing on underlying interests or objectives rather than positions and seeking to understand the interests of others;
    • recognizing the legitimacy of other interests;
    • treating issues as problems to be solved not as personal or sectoral conflicts;
    • allowing others the freedom to test ideas without prejudice to future discussion; and
    • seeking creative solutions that accommodate all interests.
  5. Engaging in appropriate external communication by:
    • ensuring that descriptions of the process are as accurate as possible before communicating them to the general public or the media;
    • ensuring that contact with the media is respectful of others

I am in Area 18. I fish 17,18 in winter and 19/20 in summer fall season. That makes me interested in both sides of island. I went to the Nanaimo meeting in an open meeting chaired by Derby SFAB chair in the fall. These issues were discussed at the meeting , and even the DFO South Coast Area Coordinator was there. A totally open place to speak. I brought up several issues with the less than 10 that were there. Where was everyone then?

Then November went to 19/20 meeting help by Chris Bos SFAB Chair, and DFO South Coast Area Coordinator in Vic again in an open forum. Probably less than 50 of total anglers in area. Where was everyone then?

After that meeting I received updates from each of the chairs on what was going on. I even asked and picked up phone to ask what details were. Not one person didn't tell me anything, and made time with my questions.

Last year I presented to the SFAC in Nanaimo, and before I did my presentation I was able to listen in. It wasn't closed at all, and anyone could have attended and listened. Again where was everyone?

How one can sit there, and say it is a closed process? Doesn't sound that closed if you ask me.

Please read this quote, and really think before you post:

"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the h*** happened." -Captain Phil Harris, F/V Cornelia Marie ...

Last edited:
I am in Area 18. I fish 17,18 in winter and 19/20 in summer fall season. That makes me interested in both sides of island. I went to the Nanaimo meeting and open meeting chaired by Deryk in the fall. These issues were discussed at the meeting , and even the DFO advisor was there. A totally open place to speak. I brought up several issues with the less than 10 that were there. Where was everyone then?

Then November went to 19/20 meeting down with Chris Bos, and DFO advisor in Vic again in an open forum. Probably less than 50 of total anglers in area. Where was everyone then?

After that meeting I received updates from each of the chairs on what was going on. I even asked and picked up phone to ask what details were. Not one person didn't tell me anything, and made time with my questions.

Last year I presented to the SFAC in Nanaimo, and before I did my presentation I was able to listen in. It wasn't closed at all, and anyone could have attended and listened. Again where was everyone?

How one can sit there and say it is a closed process? Doesn't sound that closed if you ask me.

Please read this quote, and really think before you post:

"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the h*** happened." -Captain Phil Harris, F/V Cornelia Marie ...
So clearly your saying that status quo is not working right? I have no intention of attacking the SFAB members, but at some point you have to realize the current meeting format doesn't work. Whether is the lead time offered, location, work schedule or any other of the numerous items people face in their day to day life, you're not getting a turnout. I can only guess what the composition is, retired folk and off season guides ,am I right? My point is that even if all 300k wanted to attend, you and I know it isn't possible. As GLG put it when I talked about posting minutes, there isn't enough money for "meeting space or coffee". Can you imagine what would happen if you got a good turnout?

Personally I never attend political rallies, don't belong to any political party but strive to keep myself informed on National, International, Provincial and Municipal issues. I vote in every election unless and would fight tooth and nail against a requirement to attend political rallies or lose my right to vote.

The internet is a great tool!

So clearly your saying that status quo is not working right? I have no intention of attacking the SFAB members, but at some point you have to realize the current meeting format doesn't work. Whether is the lead time offered, location, work schedule or any other of the numerous items people face in their day to day life, you're not getting a turnout. I can only guess what the composition is, retired folk and off season guides ,am I right? My point is that even if all 300k wanted to attend, you and I know it isn't possible. As GLG put it when I talked about posting minutes, there isn't enough money for "meeting space or coffee". Can you imagine what would happen if you got a good turnout?

Personally I never attend political rallies, don't belong to any political party but strive to keep myself informed on National, International, Provincial and Municipal issues. I vote in every election unless and would fight tooth and nail against a requirement to attend political rallies or lose my right to vote.

The internet is a great tool if people do what they say. And it is a tool not a solution.

I don't think there is much wrong with the arrangements of these SFAC meetings. I go to them regularly. It's just that most fishermen can't be bothered. If they served free beer maybe a few more would show. But that lack of interest is the root of our problem; other than the guides and the lodges no one has meat in the game; so what, you lose a hobby. With that sort of attitude you will lose for sure. There are a few passionate fishermen who volunteer and fight the fight but the majority can't be bothered. The writing is on the wall, let's see what that does for the lazy masses.

What area do u fish? it is as easy as sending that area chair your email info and u will receive everything your require on your area... all the folks in my chain receive south coast, main board minutes and anything that is received regarding that area..and if they have any question I know that most of us in the chairing postion will take the time to have a conversation and either answer them or send u to the right place for the answer... not perfect but seek and one will find the answers.....pm me your area and I will be happy to get you the information... I'll see if I can get a directory for all...

Personally I think saying the current meeting system doesn't work as backed up by low attendance is a crock. The people who sit on these boards have the same life commitments , jobs, kids, sports etc. They not only find time to organize and attend public meetings they often travel to board meeing outside their area with some expense to themselves and no compensation for lost wages from regular jobs. SVIAC held an agm meeting a couple years ago in a larger room to accomodate a good portion of its members. The room was not cheap to rent. All that showed up were the society board members and 4-5 members. It seemed a hockey playoff game was more important.

Again with the bla, bla.
So get involved and show us all here how it’s done.
Go to meetings and actually provide your wisdom.

There are lots of people involved who do and take time to do so, because they care.

Yes they have lives and jobs , yet they can still do it.

They get no money for this and in fact loose money doing it.

If they did not do it then I can guarantee that things would be a lot worse than they are.

115 cm does that ring a bell !!!! most were against that type of regulation but yet we got something worse than what we argued against in the NOV MEETING Anglers are just frustrated and have stopped going Searun was the only one who stated his vote and position, that is leadership, I respect that, not other quotes that I have heard like be happy with what your getting and put a little sugar in your lemon aid.

115 cm does that ring a bell !!!! most were against that type of regulation but yet we got something worse than what we argued against in the NOV MEETING Anglers are just frustrated and have stopped going Searun was the only one who stated his vote and position, that is leadership, I respect that, not other quotes that I have heard like be happy with what your getting and put a little sugar in your lemon aid.

Who said people are happy? I am not. Like I said if you guys can do better do something then. This forum can't change anything.

Again with the bla, bla.
So get involved and show us all here how it’s done.
Go to meetings and actually provide your wisdom.

There are lots of people involved who do and take time to do so, because they care.

Yes they have lives and jobs , yet they can still do it.

They get no money for this and in fact loose money doing it.

If they did not do it then I can guarantee that things would be a lot worse than they are.
You know the Mods would probably ban me for making the first post that came to mind when I read this juvenile post , needless to say there was an "off "in it. So tell me what's your position in the organization? Tell me of all your accomplishments, maybe I'll be able to find a level of respect in replying that seems to allude you! To me you are just an anonymous sideline chirper whose vocabularies development stopped at bla. Have a good day, the adults are talking!

You know the Mods would probably ban me for making the first post that came to mind when I read this juvenile post , needless to say there was an "off "in it. So tell me what's your position in the organization? Tell me of all your accomplishments, maybe I'll be able to find a level of respect in replying that seems to allude you! To me you are just an anonymous sideline chirper whose vocabularies development stopped at bla. Have a good day, the adults are talking!
The internet is a great tool if people do what they say. And it is a tool not a solution.
And can be a great tool to disseminate information and spark interest which can produce solutions!

Derby provided you with a solution ziggy
Now your just acting like a troll.
Did you not notice I was replying to someone else? Derby and I are having an adult discussion so I'm not sure what you're talking about!

What area do u fish? it is as easy as sending that area chair your email info and u will receive everything your require on your area... all the folks in my chain receive south coast, main board minutes and anything that is received regarding that area..and if they have any question I know that most of us in the chairing postion will take the time to have a conversation and either answer them or send u to the right place for the answer... not perfect but seek and one will find the answers.....pm me your area and I will be happy to get you the information... I'll see if I can get a directory for all...
Pm sent

If all fails, deviate. Seems to be your favourite position.
But you probably are right, the SFAC is not for you.

Back