Re-Stringing Prawn traps

michael_reiber

Our mesh is finally starting to wear so we are starting to look for options on re-string our traps, they're all commercial traps and we have 12 of them, does anyone have experience re-stringing them selves? Is it easy? And where do you get the mesh? I called Ladner traps and they said they'll do it for 50 bucks a trap, but they are on the main land and were on the island which is another aditional cost. Or does anyone know of a place on the island that re-strings them? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Michael

Yeah it's an issue.
I have about 10, same deal. They are old and just falling apart.
It costs me $45 to buy a one year old commie trap that is in great nick, or $50 to re-mesh them.
Wish I could just get a 'core charge' for them and pay $20 every three years to swap em!

Yeah it's an issue.
I have about 10, same deal. They are old and just falling apart.
It costs me $45 to buy a one year old commie trap that is in great nick, or $50 to re-mesh them.
Wish I could just get a 'core charge' for them and pay $20 every three years to swap em!
Sounds like a good side job

Can you just get the net bags from Ladner traps and then it’s easy just re use the rope and entrances from your old ones

Can you just get the net bags from Ladner traps and then it’s easy just re use the rope and entrances from your old ones
You could always phone & ask-the thing I found about Ladner traps is that sometime they are just crazy busy and aren't very responsive other times they'll do what they can.

I built a couple of traps last year using mesh from PN&T. The traps I built were actually for king crabs but the mesh would work great for prawns.

Back