Double eagle power

I had a 135 two stroke on my podded 176 DE and it moved pretty good......I have a buddy with a 150 4 stroke on his and it is brutal butt heavy.....like he is looking for lead to put in the bow heavy

I had a 135 two stroke on my podded 176 DE and it moved pretty good......I have a buddy with a 150 4 stroke on his and it is brutal butt heavy.....like he is looking for lead to put in the bow heavy
Another good option is a bow mounted fuel tank.

That’s what I did to mine to even the load worked great.

I think my 115 yammie 2 stroke is 370lbs + 6hp kicker about 60lbs. The transom well drain sits right at water level. I wouldn't want much more weight than that back there.

My 1987 DE 16 had a 1996 90 2 stroke Johnson. 40 mph lightly loaded. Too fast for most conditions. If I’d have kept it I would have gone with the 4 stroke Yamaha F70. My 18’2” Hardtop Hourston has a Yamaha 115 four stroke that burns half the fuel of that 90 Johnson.

So what I’m gathering here is 90-115 seems to be the sweet spot for power and weight. 140-150 is great too, because they can cruise at lower rpm causing less burn and less chance overworking the motor plus you can rip to the fishing hole on a calm morning. With that you should strongly consider the bow fuel tank for weight balance.
I’d say go for the 115!

We have a couple of 17' Malibu Tyees which are identical to the 17' Double Eagle.

Personally, I wouldn't go less than a 90 hp. My dad has a 1997 Tyee and he's had a 90 Evinrude Ocean Pro (1997), 90 Yamaha 4 Stroke (2006) and a 115 Yamaha 4 Stroke (2015). I thought the 90's were adequate.... the 115 is nice! It came with a lower pitch prop than mine so the hole shot it pretty amazing... it just shoots out of the water!

I have a 115 Mercury 4 Stroke on my 2009 Tyee. It will cruise at 32 mph at 4,200 rpm. Top speed is 44 mph (per gps). The transom height on the newer tyee's is higher so it will handle a heavier 4 stroke.

Its like $1000 difference. You'd wish you spent for it after the first time out.

115 > 90 = Weight

90 E-tec on a 15ft DE?

The boat had a '83 50 Evinrude / 190lbs, the 90 E-tec has way more power and 320lbs. Apart from the necessity for being responsible high speed, do you think the boat would take that motor otherwise or just plain avoid this idea?

Last edited:
I think a 90 is a kind of the max for a 16 footer. Pushes a 17 pretty well too.
realistically a 15’ doesn’t need more than 60. Let’s see if anyone’s pulled it off, but it sounds sketchy.
If you have both a 15’ hull and a 90 etec lying around, I suggest selling the hull and look for a good shape 16 hull with no motor. They’re out there.

Last edited:
That outfit Tiptons, out of Duncan sold at least a thousand of those with 70 Evinrudes

I think a 90 is a kind of the max for a 16 footer. Pushes a 17 pretty well too.
realistically a 15’ doesn’t need more than 60. Let’s see if anyone’s pulled it off, but it sounds sketchy.
If you have both a 15’ hull and a 90 etec lying around, I suggest selling the hull and look for a good shape 16 hull with no motor. They’re out there.
Well ya but what if one is purposely putting that combo together for fun, not for fishing. Kinda like those '90 Mustang 5.0L cars haha

Well ya but what if one is purposely putting that combo together for fun, not for fishing. Kinda like those '90 Mustang 5.0L cars haha
You want fun? Buy a hydroplane. Want to catch fish? Buy a double eagle!

Had a buddy years ago with a 15' Hourston and a 90 Merc on it, went like stink in a straight line but you sure wouldn't want to turn sharp at more than 3/4 throttle. Boat was seriously sketchy with any kind of chop on the water...... can you say chine walk

Back