Halibut opening

I’ll go over the numbers and how they make absolutely no sense shortly. 126/83 caught 800,000 lbs in 2013. Add irec onto that and there is still room. Plus this season has a record for most “fishable days” due to weather as dfo calls them...think that’ll happen again in 2018? No.

Oh and in 2013 dfo projected 126/83 would catch 970,000 lbs or so ...it didn’t...

And if next year is going to be worse what’s the limits next year ?? One 30lber ? As sfabs plan to get more % isn’t until 2020 season.

maybe this is a stupid question.

But who is keeping 6 halibut a year? Why could we not lower that # and keep the sizes the same or even bigger?

The survey showed that most halibut fishermen were getting less then 1 a year actually. There would be no discount there. I'm going to see if I can get the actual spreadsheets from our reps. I didn't believe it myself for a number of years, but there is really no way short of a 60 day season to get anything big with the TAC we have.

Will the March opener be under 2017 size and possession like normal.

wow, speechless. Just going to be more mortality. What happens when that 60# halibut swallows the large treble down into it's stomach? We release it to die and look for another under? Just keeps getting better and better every year.
yep, just DFO forcing the "experimental halibut quota scheme. Sad thing is the rich tourist will have no problem getting his 100# halibut and joe canadian weekend warrior will have to put up with the crumbs. It's become the Canadian way...

wow, speechless. Just going to be more mortality. What happens when that 60# halibut swallows the large treble down into it's stomach? We release it to die and look for another under? Just keeps getting better and better every year.
yep, just DFO forcing the "experimental halibut quota scheme. Sad thing is the rich tourist will have no problem getting his 100# halibut and joe canadian weekend warrior will have to put up with the crumbs. It's become the Canadian way...
Ya but we get a full season so all is good. Not. I'd take a 60 day season instead and if you can't get holidays too bad.

I’ll go over the numbers and how they make absolutely no sense shortly. 126/83 caught 800,000 lbs in 2013. Add irec onto that and there is still room. Plus this season has a record for most “fishable days” due to weather as dfo calls them...think that’ll happen again in 2018? No.

Oh and in 2013 dfo projected 126/83 would catch 970,000 lbs or so ...it didn’t...

And if next year is going to be worse what’s the limits next year ?? One 30lber ? As sfabs plan to get more % isn’t until 2020 season.

They are proceeding carefully because lousy salmon fishing in 2017 turned up the heat on hali, which gave us an unexpected in season closure. With too many variables to determine a decent salmon season they have to be prepared for more effort. Re allocating quota is an entirely different matter, as either the feds need to buy it or legislate it to the rec sector. The SFAB puts forth ideas the feds need to make it happen.

First I say thanks to all SFAB guys, your job is a no win one. SFBC is a merry go round all can ***** and say what they prefer but the real issue is TAC. NOBODY should slam any SFAB person, they are fighting the fight as a collective, volunteering time and doing their best to please everyone. Is there no way legally to change the TAC problem? The incidental waste from other fisheries also worry's me, nobody seams to care about that waste. BC tidal waters is making my lund tinny and some fresh water species look better each year.

HM

We will be fishing for halibut....that’s the truth but the yellow eye is my main concern
The whole SARA numbers and plain wrong and that system is completely flawed.
At least there is a process for halibut right or wrong
They are proceeding carefully because lousy salmon fishing in 2017 turned up the heat on hali, which gave us an unexpected in season closure. With too many variables to determine a decent salmon season they have to be prepared for more effort. Re allocating quota is an entirely different matter, as either the feds need to buy it or legislate it to the rec sector. The SFAB puts forth ideas the feds need to make it happen.

Nope...that’s wrong
This fisheries minister can change anything with the TAC at his or hers dispersion
It’s been proven once before and can be done at anytime

Enjoy the little we have left this year. Anything but a miracle during 2018 test fishing will result in huge hali TAC cuts coast wide next year. We've been put on notice. Maybe redirect your bitching energy towards a resolution of this quota disaster in discussions with the government. We as BC anglers have exactly one year time to fix this. If you ever want to fish halibut again like in years past I suggest you bring out your wallet and make room on your timetable and join one of the groups that can organize the fight. Or get used to a Washington State hali season. It's now or never.

We will be fishing for halibut....that’s the truth but the yellow eye is my main concern

Nope...that’s wrong
This fisheries minister can change anything with the TAC at his or hers dispersion

You right on the minister. I said the minister would have to have balls, no one in the current administration would take quota away from the commercial sector un compensated. Hence the comment needs balls. Even though they could, they would still get sued. 6 million pounds at 100 bux a pound. Over half a billion in quota at stake. That would start a fight

Nope...that’s wrong

Bang on. I was in a meeting a While back when DFO realized that the sector took 4 times its allocation of YE. Yellow eye is driving all bottoms fishing for commercials and now it’s about to play a significant roll in the recreational fishery.

The problem is that The idiots that did the ye assessment were completely out to lunch and to make it worse they are using a 15yr rebuilding plan to rebuild stock that can live up to 100yrs. It’s insane. Washington, Australia and even the gulf used a rebuilding strategy of 60-70 yrs but for some unknown reason they decided on 15yrs for the outside YE stock. It’s a mess.

Nobody i know catches fish under 83cm so im not sure why we would even bother with it. Is it to keep the lodges happy? Seems like a waste
I personally own a Lodge and have a lot of Friends that do as well and trust me it is not the lodges that want the under 83cm. We would never even target them in the past even when they were open. Just a waste of time and harmful to many other fish including halibut just over that size. Just a joke this is

I personally own a Lodge and have a lot of Friends that do as well and trust me it is not the lodges that want the under 83cm. We would never even target them in the past even when they were open. Just a waste of time and harmful to many other fish including halibut just over that size. Just a joke this is

Very true about how this 1/2 setup does a lot more harm than good FOR NOW as we have less tac. The northern big lodges (think langara, hippa etc where they have to fly out) do want that second fish though. And places like swiftsure where they’re mainly unders)

Last edited:
Bang on. I was in a meeting a While back when DFO realized that the sector took 4 times its allocation of YE. Yellow eye is driving all bottoms fishing for commercials and now it’s about to play a significant roll in the recreational fishery.

The problem is that The idiots that did the ye assessment were completely out to lunch and to make it worse they are using a 15yr rebuilding plan to rebuild stock that can live up to 100yrs. It’s insane. Washington, Australia and even the gulf used a rebuilding strategy of 60-70 yrs but for some unknown reason they decided on 15yrs for the outside YE stock. It’s a mess.
If they are so concerned about yelloweye shouldn’t they go to 1/1 with a bigger size to help keep time off the bottom for incedental yelloweye catch??? Makes sense to me less time
On the bottom the less yelloweye and other fish including halibut we will be killing

Back