Ap spoons

jwood99

just curious why leader lengths you guys are running for the ap anchovies spoons.

Thanks

I run mine ~60". Haven't tried shorter or longer because it works..

If you run bait on one side like I do, I got the bait rolling speed and then checked the spoon at the side of the boat. 60" looked best with that speed - and I troll faster than most. If you troll bait with a slower speed, the leader would most likely be shortened. The AP catches Lots of fish!

I also find the bigger spoons like the Herring size require a longer leader.
Andrew makes a great product.

Also, I always watch the spoon beside the boat before sending it down.
check the action and experiment by giving it a slight bend to get an erratic darting action.

I always have a look before sending it down. Sometimes fish, or the landing a fish process, will bend the spoon a bit.
And I agree Scott, great spoon. All I run are a few different teaser heads and a bunch of different AP's.

That’s the way I run mine. If the dummy flasher is 6 ft back I run my mainline up a little higher so when dropping down it doesn’t tangle. I would think doing it the other way round you tangle more dropping it down.

I only run dummy flashers. I run a blue Scotty snubbed to my ball and then connect my clip to the top hardware on the snubber. Run a 48" clip and have never had a problem with tangles. I run a daisy chain on one side and a standard flasher on the other. My leader from the back eye on the ball to the flasher is roughly 20". I typically run bait on one side and an AP spoon on the other. We do pretty well.....

Last edited:
It's nice when they are in thick enough to run a dummy flasher but there are times when the action of the flasher helps.
It is a blast hitting them on a line with a dummy flasher though hands down a better felt fight. We snagged a nice 12# Chinook last summer on the 9 weight fly rod with 15# mono on a coyote spoon ran with a dummy flasher it was one of the best scraps I've seen in quite a while.

Back