HALIBUT CLOSURE

I think the lodges should have to go on quota. There are a massive commercial fishery.
It is interesting you think we should go on quota every lodge that acquires quota gets bashed severely on this forum. We are an industry that supports hotels, airlines, gas stations, grocery stores on and on. We essentially supply a platform and knowledge to legally licensed fisherman that would have no other means to go fishing. I believe the statement the average Joe fisherman is not a priority and saying its all about the lodges having longer season is offensive to the men and women that work everyday on the behalf of all people that use the resource.

I personally think any lodge or guide who buys quota does so knowing full well that they will inherit the wrath of the fast manority of recrational anglers. They obviously have weighed that in their decision making process and are prepared to live with the consquences. However they are not commercial, tbey are a business just like the tackle store you would buy gear from.

It is interesting you think we should go on quota every lodge that acquires quota gets bashed severely on this forum. We are an industry that supports hotels, airlines, gas stations, grocery stores on and on. We essentially supply a platform and knowledge to legally licensed fisherman that would have no other means to go fishing. I believe the statement the average Joe fisherman is not a priority and saying its all about the lodges having longer season is offensive to the men and women that work everyday on the behalf of all people that use the resource.

Don't want to enter the debate on buying quota from the Commercial sector, but my take on it is those who do buy quota get there catch counted much like the sport fishers when counted by flyover and estimated catch per boat. I am aware there are other means by which Sport caught halibut are counted, but I really doubt the accuracy, especially when counting the waters of Southern Vancouver Island in a year like last where most of us found halibut harder to find.
If they used the same formula as was used in 2015 and 2016, they overestimated the catch!

Iam not against lodges by any means. Have pletty of friends wich have or are guides. I my self would like to do a tuna charter later in the year. Like you said people that don't have the means to get out or have there own boats it's great thing for everyone to enjoy. They are not the number one reason for salmon declines. But you would have to say with the amount of fish being brought through a good lodge that it's beiond a recurational fishing licence when people are maxing out there allowable catches every day.

Iam not against lodges by any means. Have pletty of friends wich have or are guides. I my self would like to do a tuna charter later in the year. Like you said people that don't have the means to get out or have there own boats it's great thing for everyone to enjoy. They are not the number one reason for salmon declines. But you would have to say with the amount of fish being brought through a good lodge that it's beiond a recurational fishing licence when people are maxing out there allowable catches every day.
I think you should realize that most of our customers only use their fishing license for the duration of the charter. They for the most part catch their limit however remember most will bring home their 4 chinook and not fish again. I for example and most resident fishers are allowed 30 chinook also remember hardly anyone goes fishing alone in their personal boat so in effect are guiding their friends in order for them to catch fish just like guides. The reason we can usually catch lots of fish is not because we are better than anyone else we have the advantage of being on the water everyday.

nobody is buying or selling fish, everybody should be and follows sport fishing regs. do you know of any lodges that set groundlines ? and if they are buying quota they should not be in the sport fishing business.

buying quota bypasses sport fishing regs. that is one of the major issues sport fishers have with it. nothing to do with how much lodges support sub-industries... without buying quota a lodge will still be supporting all sub industries except true sport fishers. lets not confuse the issue. sport fishers have made a choice to support each other by not pulling out a wallet to by-pass regulations.

I think you should realize that most of our customers only use their fishing license for the duration of the charter. They for the most part catch their limit however remember most will bring home their 4 chinook and not fish again. I for example and most resident fishers are allowed 30 chinook also remember hardly anyone goes fishing alone in their personal boat so in effect are guiding their friends in order for them to catch fish just like guides. The reason we can usually catch lots of fish is not because we are better than anyone else we have the advantage of being on the water everyday.

I guess that depends on what you consider to be a resident fisher in your example because although I being a resident fisher and allowed to catch six Halibut a year find that after I support the Ferry, the Hotel, the Gas Station, the Grocery Store and the tackle shop I can only catch one Halibut and will also not fish again (or even bother in the first place). An option on your Licence to have Six annual Halibut one per day or only two annual Halibut but can get both in one day would work for a lot of resident fishers. That would seem fair (as Fish Tofino puts it) and I bet get most fishers rowing the same direction.

buying quota bypasses sport fishing regs. that is one of the major issues sport fishers have with it. nothing to do with how much lodges support sub-industries... without buying quota a lodge will still be supporting all sub industries except true sport fishers. lets not confuse the issue. sport fishers have made a choice to support each other by not pulling out a wallet to by-pass regulations.
I guess that depends on what you consider to be a resident fisher in your example because although I being a resident fisher and allowed to catch six Halibut a year find that after I support the Ferry, the Hotel, the Gas Station, the Grocery Store and the tackle shop I can only catch one Halibut and will also not fish again (or even bother in the first place). An option on your Licence to have Six annual Halibut one per day or only two annual Halibut but can get both in one day would work for a lot of resident fishers. That would seem fair (as Fish Tofino puts it) and I bet get most fishers rowing the same direction.
The sfab for area 125, 25 did make a suggestion of allowing people the option of catching their possession limit in 1 day. Doubt it will be approved but I certainly would support it.

Should be a separate thread for suggestions for 2018 limits. I know in our area almost impossible to find a 12lb halibut and probably release more fish looking for one than we would highgrading. So my suggestion is a 1/1

I'm not sure as we will just start to see the options in the next couple days .. I'm sure SVIAC and your SFAC will put forward what they feel is there best options regarding your area... I also enjoy a couple fishing trips in your area myself :)
A hem i am still waiting for the offer to come aboard when you are in my waters you scurvy dog ;)

Should be a separate thread for suggestions for 2018 limits. I know in our area almost impossible to find a 12lb halibut and probably release more fish looking for one than we would highgrading. So my suggestion is a 1/1
I agree just heard through my network that we can expect a 10 to 15 % reduction in quota and they are having a phone conference tomorrow talking about the way forward this summer.

ah just close down halibut on odd number days , or maybe just one day a week say monday? what are the slow days for lodges when guest typical come and go? Would that not extend the season?

AS my dad said after being in DFO for 35 years, there's only one thing constant from all the meetings "never enough fish."

Do you think we will get a crack at Halibut before the commercial season opens?
Off Victoria there is a commercial guy who fishes hard til the dogfish move in early in May and makes a big impact on the sports catch, (my opinion only)
Commercial notice....
"b) On March 24, 2018 at 12:00 retention of Pacific Halibut will be permitted
coastwide. Please refer to the Integrated Fisheries Management Plan (IFMP) for
additional details regarding Halibut retention in groundfish management area
4B. No Halibut shall be retained after 12:00 local time, November 7, 2018."

2017 data shows top catch months for Area 19 in following order....#1 = June; #2 = Aug; #3 = Feb; #4 = May; #5 = April. That said, Sept with only 6 days was on track to be in top 3. Haven't had time to look at 2016 data where we had a fall fishery. Data clearly shows there is a vibrant fishery in what some consider to be non-traditional months.

Top 5 for entire Area 2B (Canada) looking at 2015 to 2017 is #1 = July; #2 = Sept; #3= Aug; #4 = June; #5 = May

Last edited:
2017 data shows top catch months for Area 19 in following order....#1 = June; #2 = Aug; #3 = Feb; #4 = May; #5 = April. That said, Sept with only 6 days was on track to be in top 3. Haven't had time to look at 2016 data where we had a fall fishery. Data clearly shows there is a vibrant fishery in what some consider to be non-traditional months.

Top 5 for entire Area 2B (Canada) looking at 2015 to 2017 is #1 = July; #2 = Sept; #3= Aug; #4 = June; #5 = May

Can't speak for area 19 but I'm looking at the data for area 2B for past few years and Sept is definitely not #2.

#1 - July
#2 - August
#3 - June
#4 - Sept
#5 - May

March, April, Feb are almost all identical with 17,000lbs or so...and Oct on is almost negligible.

See area 19 data now and it is definitely more spread out, one of only areas though. Also would like to say they try and say 3,000 lbs is taken from area 11/12 in Hardy in Feb and I can almost guarantee that is not true.

Reactions: GLG
Crunching the numbers from 2013 to 2017 and filling in for last years shortened season this is what I get on average across all the years. % add up to 100% of the estimated harvest.

Feb = .72%
Mar = 1.92%
Apr = 2.32%
May = 4.07%
Jun = 22.36%
Jul = 33.95%
Aug = 27.71%
Sep = 5.49%
Oct = .80%
Nov = .45%
Dec = .21%

So the top 5 would be July, Aug, June, Sept and May (the last 2 being a distance 4th and 5th)

Last edited:
Back