Williams Lake to Bella Coola Hwy 20

Chasin' Dreams

Has anybody taken the road from Williams Lake to Bella Coola in the last year or two? Wondering what shape it is in? Is the whole road paved? Is there fuel along the way?
Seeing if it's worth while and safe to make a trip there towing my boat which is 30' overall length.

Looking at maybe buying some property around some of the inlets close to Bella Coola and want to go take a tour of the area this summer.
From a boating perspective it would be much less of a boat ride from Bella Coola rather than going from Port Hardy.

Just found some youtube videos...looks like gravel up the long big hill and down the other side. Probably best to just go the longer boat ride route from Port Hardy.

Has anybody taken the road from Williams Lake to Bella Coola in the last year or two? Wondering what shape it is in? Is the whole road paved? Is there fuel along the way?
Seeing if it's worth while and safe to make a trip there towing my boat which is 30' overall length.

Looking at maybe buying some property around some of the inlets close to Bella Coola and want to go take a tour of the area this summer.
From a boating perspective it would be much less of a boat ride from Bella Coola rather than going from Port Hardy.

Aside for the descent down Heckman Pass into Bella Coola, Highway 20 is paved. If you are pulling a boat, make sure the brakes on your truck and trailer are in top condition as Heckman Pass is extremely step in sections. As for gas along the way, last summer's wildfires took out the gas station and store at Hanceville, but there is gas at Anahim Lake and in Bella Coola so this should not be a problem. Keep in mind though that these are not 24 hour operations and plan accordingly. Also there is gas at Tatla Lake.

Image I took on the descent into Bella Coola.

2013-06-15_00001.jpg

Heckman pass info:

http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/canada/1049-heckman-pas-canada.html

Last edited:
By the looks of the videos if you have a tractor trailer coming one way and a big boat and truck coming the other way, a guy could run into some big troubles. Can't be backing up in any of those spots by the looks of things. Boat, trailer and gear would be around 8000 lbs...truck with boat is 56 feet...think I'll be going Port Hardy route instead.

It is dirt road from Anahim Lake to the bottom of The Hill about 50 km. but fairly smooth .
There is only one narrow section on the hill but its quite short. It is steep and you need to be cautious but if you pull with a diesel it's not an issue.
Buddy pulls his 24 ft Trophy down there 4 or 5 times a year no problem.
We pull a 7000 lb 5th wheel down with a half ton but stop halfway a cool the brakes.
4 low and nice and slow.

Equipment needs to be in good working order for sure. Which should be the case with your vehicles running on the highways in B.C. If so just go easy and slow on the decent and you will have an enjoyable trip. Going through there is an adventure. Beautiful country.

Back