HALIBUT CLOSURE

How can you have discussion on what isn't known yet? I agree with Derby it isn't helping having such a premature discussion when the facts aren't even known yet. Same goes for salmon on another thread.

Last edited:
Agree 100% with Halimark..

m2b
been following this thread for 10 years , same people , same talk ,
us do it your selfers hit it in the spring , get what the family needs for the year , move on to
other things through the spring summer , no big deal for us , im sure the lodges and guides
are getting frustrated , tough way to make a living, id be pissed on the early shutdown for sure !!
maybe one day magically we can all unite and fight this legally one day ,
just dont think a handful of muchly appreciated volunteers and guide groups can do this on there own , kudos to them
its a sinkin ship with the way it is structured right now ,

have a great season , have fun out there ,
gd lk to the Volunteers

imo , get em early ,
, all we can do...

fd

Anyone know when can we expect to hear when Halibut open for sport fishing.
should be soon...eh?
It opened Feb. 1 last year

Anyone know when can we expect to hear when Halibut open for sport fishing.
should be soon...eh?
It opened Feb. 1 last year
I think the IPHC only started meeting today. I'd be surprised if anything happens by Feb1?

Yes they started today... we will need to see what the outcome of the IPHC first before the committee can come up with a plan...

I would prefer it if instead of rushing to a Feb 1st or so opening, we take time to give opportunity for consultation with all SFAC groups befor locking down any potential changes to the regs and or our approach to gaining more TAC. I know opportunity is there leading up to IPHC regarding regs, but in reality it is based on speculative info and hard to be detailed in suggesting/considering options.

Last edited:
Just wading through the documents.......4000 lbs harvested under XRQ is interesting. Wonder who is buying that.

Did I read it right that the iphc is looking at the Halibut season running from March 15 to November 1st?

I would prefer it if instead of rushing to a Feb 1st or so opening, we take time to give opportunity for consultation with all SFAC groups befor locking down any potential changes to the regs and or our approach to gaining more TAC. I know opportunity is there leading up to IPHC regarding regs, but in reality it is based on speculative info and hard to be detailed in suggesting/considering options.

Great point, and smart. And the march 15-nov 1 is for commercial season, not rec.

What you are missing with your suggestion is that you throw an important part of the hali season for an entire region under the bus by delaying past Feb 1. And that for very little gain in terms of poundage saved for later on.

Reactions: GLG
What you are missing with your suggestion is that you throw an important part of the hali season for an entire region under the bus by delaying past Feb 1. And that for very little gain in terms of poundage saved for later on.

But you rush a very important decision that affects everyone. There’s no chance of an actual proper consultation and review of options which affects the whole coast and southern part of island for more than one single month when relatively very few people fish.

Should be pretty obvious a proper consultation and review is more important.

You are 100% correct and would like to point out that 1 week of bad weather during June, July or August would be considerably more than that amount.
page 10
https://iphc.int/uploads/pdf/am/2018am/iphc-2018-am094-ar10.pdf

If you guys think 4-5 days is enough to consult everyday fishermen about what they would like and make informed decisions based on that, you're out to lunch. This year is sure to be much more complex and complicated than the past few. So surely if we want to do it RIGHT, it would have to be mid Feb or March 1st opening.

But you rush a very important decision that affects everyone. There’s no chance of an actual proper consultation and review of options which affects the whole coast and southern part of island for more than one single month when relatively very few people fish.

Should be pretty obvious a proper consultation and review is more important.

Feb and March are fished under last years regulations. The decision is needed for the April 1 renewal of your fishing license. Delaying the opening will not affect that timeline one way or the other. Delaying the opening only affects amount harvested from this years TAC. The question is ... is the squeeze worth the juice.

Not throwing anyone under the bus at all.
The fact is that we are forced to fish Feb and March under last years regs but using this years Tac. I know the numbers are not huge. As I am sure you understand wen considering the 2018 season that number along with mortality and risk factors all play into how we plan to conduct April onward. I would argue that IF faced with even further restrictions that risk factor along with harvest will rise as more people will be on water taking advantage of more favourable size or possession rules,before April. In my mind if we see a substantial cut in TAC then the dynamic of management changes and may require us to look at thing in a different way. If providing best opportunity Coast wide is still the goal.

Cheers:Ray

Back