Fishing in Ohau

Bag-Juan

Hey guy's , I'm off to Ohau next month and want to do a fishing charter. There is 6 of us, I'v been looking on line and it looks for around 900$ you can do a 6 hr. trip. We would probably go out of Wakakii area but thats not carved in stone, we will have a rent a car so can travel a bit but it looks like quite a few go out of Wakakii Just wondering if anyone had any feedback on which charter they used and what kind of experience you had and if you would recommend them or not. Thank, any feedback is appreciated.

Cam, was on Oahu 2 years ago at spring break. Lots of boats around Honolulu so probably your best bet to find something decent. I didn't look into fishing so can't help you there but I know they have to go out alot further offshore to get to the deep ocean water than at Kona. Get out and explore the north shore. Get out of Honolulu...just a big city with bad traffic around the rush hrs. Noisy as f&ck at night...hard to get a good sleep...sirens, garbage trucks and noisy people walking home late into the night. Waikiki beach is way overrated...crowded, no shade. Spend a day of the beach at Kailua Beach...beautiful long sandy beach, gentle beach waves and usually just locals there. Check out Giovani's Shrimp truck on the North Shore. Swim with the fish at Hanauma Bay at south end of Island. Get the full pass for the Polynesian Cultural Centre also on the north shore. It opens at 11am and the indoor show ends at about 9pm. No booze or coffee served but a great day regardless. We stayed in Kaneohe at a waterfront VRBO with 3 other couples and explored the Island from there. On that trip we spent one afternoon and early evening in Honolulu. This spring break we went to The Big Island and finished off by flying back to Oahu for 3 nights at the end of the 2 weeks and stayed downtown Honolulu to see if we missed anything the year before. Nope, never again!!! Oahu is beautiful...Honolulu sucks! Another good tip...when you plan your day outside of the city to see whatever...get up and hit the road early to beat the crowds.

Hey Bagger, if you're chartering while in Honolulu, best bang for your $$ is with Russell Tanaka on MagicSportfishing out of Kewalo Basin. All charters are in the same price range, but he is the most consistent. He'll stay out longer usually than what you have paid for to make sure you get into something. Fishing can be pretty tough out there sometimes, but we lucked out both times we went out, and both were on shared charters. Good luck

http://www.magicsportfishing.com/

I believe the Oahu boats run to a bank not far from the NW corner of Molokai. Long ride at a very poor time of year for sea conditions. I fished a FAD NE of Molokai about 4 years back on a charter - could not stand-up Waves so huge the 28# Mahi-Mahi i caught got flung into my face by a huge wave about 5 seconds after it hooked-up. We ran 4 hours each way & fished for about 30 minutes before the skipper called the trip due to sea conditions.

Thanks for all the good info Rollie, I've heard Honolulu is pretty crazy busy, noisy, we are staying there in a high rise condo for the first three nights then moving to house VRBO in Kailua for 7 nights, not right on the beach but very close. I will be there with my wife and 3 kids and my daughters boyfriend so 6 of us. They have most of the stuff planned allready and i know The North Shore, Pearl Harbour, The Polynesian Center, Hanauma Bay for snorkeling, and a few other things are on the to do list. I would have thought you would have gone fishing there? We were all in Maui 2 years ago and did a charter out of Lahaina, caught a few 10 lb tuna but had a great day. Hoping to give it another shot this time, ya only live once!! Thanks again Rollie,

Thanks Tellyman, i will email the Magicsportsfing and see if they can hook us up. Doesn't sound like Erici had a good day there, sounded like a very bumpy long ride, we aren't into anything like that , but i guess if you book the trip the weather is at your mercy? Thanks for the feedback guy's!!

Forgot Pearl Harbour....you have to go early to get your free pass to go out and see the Arizon Memorial. People are already lined up at 7am I think when it opens and only so many passes are given out each day. Once you have that pass you come back for the time you get. You pay for the rest of the sights, Missouri, the airfield and the sub. They take you on a bus from the main gate area out to both the Missouri and the airfield. Often the afternoons get windy in the harbour and they will cancel the boat trips out to the Arizona...happened to us the 1st try 2 years ago and had to go again this year just to see the memorial. Another reason to go early and get a pass for the morning trips out.

Advanced bookings are available 2 months in advance, or for Next Day Tickets. I suggest making reservations and as soon as possible. The USS Arizona Memorial program is FREE. However, you can make reservations through recreation.gov, you will pay a $1.50 NONREFUNDABLE convenience fee. If you get a walk-in ticket at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center, no convenience fee will be charged.

https://www.recreation.gov/showPage...arbor/home.jsp&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72369

USE BOOM BOOM sportsfishing. Tony is a great captain. and not a bad lacrosse player either. tell him Blair referred him. from where his boat is moored it takes only 20 mins before the gear is out.. tunas, sail fish etc..

I lived on Oahu for 4 years and did have a fishing boat. The Oahu boats that catch fish, do run quite a bit offshore, it can be a long ride and often in very poor sea conditions that time of year. My feedback on taking a fishing charter out of Waikiki is - don't... save that in favor of another island, especially Kona. Much better fishing!

I like Charlie's advice. On the above mentioned trip we caught a lot of fish, everything but my 28 pounder were 10-15# YFT's . It's all relative; save for a REAL trip where you beg the skipper to go back in.

Good info for sure, thanks guy's. We don't want to get pounded for hours that's for sure. Might have to think this over, just wanted to get out on a nice day, maybe catch a fish or two, without going to far? - I don't care about landing a monster! Thanks again guy's!

As others stated, been to Oahu 62 times (in Navy), never chartered a boat. Long runs, expensive, rough seas, and all fish are killed for restaurants. Just not my style. However a spinning rod and small rapalas, spoons got lots of action in local marinas, beaches and the canal, also North shore rocks if you are that way. I have also caught the peacock bass, largemouth and big red sunfish things from the fresh water reservoir, 2 times guided and 5 from my own kayak, name eludes me, there is only 1. Tons of fun, they are lethargic in winter and require a slow approach, used small minnows netted in a creek. Was cheap and fun, great getaway from the MADNESS $$$$$$ of wakiwaki.

HM

Thanks for all the good info Rollie, I've heard Honolulu is pretty crazy busy, noisy, we are staying there in a high rise condo for the first three nights then moving to house VRBO in Kailua for 7 nights, not right on the beach but very close. I will be there with my wife and 3 kids and my daughters boyfriend so 6 of us. They have most of the stuff planned allready and i know The North Shore, Pearl Harbour, The Polynesian Center, Hanauma Bay for snorkeling, and a few other things are on the to do list. I would have thought you would have gone fishing there? We were all in Maui 2 years ago and did a charter out of Lahaina, caught a few 10 lb tuna but had a great day. Hoping to give it another shot this time, ya only live once!! Thanks again Rollie,

Who'd you go with out of Lahaina?

Hey Old Blue, sorry for the late response , had to go back and check out the charters there as I couldn't remember the name - anyway it was Start Me Up Charters out of Lahaina- had the lines in the water 15 min after we left , trolled out with 4 lines in for 2 1/2 hours then turned around and then back - just a few small tuna but we had a good time - Nice big Bertram, the captain and his mate were good guys , they said fishing was slow before we went. They changed up gear and tried different things. Cost was 600$ for the 5 of us,- we were there for Xmas 2015 - gave them 100$ tip - we all had fun - saw a few migrating humpback whales

Back