Buying a boat in the states with no title in hand?

Yup, good info. Be careful when buying out there.

I bought a boat and trailer from Washington state. Had clear title papers for boat and trailer however the trailer no longer had the factory manufacturers decal. It was a bother trying to get a replacement decal as the original manufacturer was no longer in business.

Yup,same thing buying in Canada,trailer has to have a serial # tag on it.The trailer/boat that I bought in Edmonton last fall didn't have the trailer tag so I had to apply for one and have Can.Tire make and install tag.PITA.

I had a watercraft trailer that I owned in Alberta and the serial number sticker came off. When I moved to BC to register it I realized the sticker was gone. The lady at the insurance place ended up registering it as a grey u-built trailer instead of a galvanized EZ-loader. Works in a pinch to at least get a plate on it.

I had a watercraft trailer that I owned in Alberta and the serial number sticker came off. When I moved to BC to register it I realized the sticker was gone. The lady at the insurance place ended up registering it as a grey u-built trailer instead of a galvanized EZ-loader. Works in a pinch to at least get a plate on it.

Easily obtaining a ubuilt trailer registration is a thing of the past unfortunately.

Bought a unit out of Edmonton and got home with wrong paperwork for trailer. Tried to get paperwork, but seller had papers for his old trailer. Went to a notary and produced a bill of sale and signed a statuary declaration (cost $30)then transferred and registered it in BC. Not a problem once I found out what to do. Didn't have to do an inspection as it did not come across border

15 years and older the tailer it won't have to go through the RIV process, but should have a vin if possible to prove it matches title. If it's a newer trailer and the sticker is worn off or faded it sounds like you'll have an expensive lawn ordainment as the manufacturers are not issuing new VIN plates/stickers from the two that I talked too. Plus anything going into BC over 6,000 pounds will need electric over hydraulic brakes.......

Back