Making Bacon

A bunch of trout and 4 pieces of salmon in the brine. Will post final product tomorrow. I figure 8hr brine, 4hrs of fan and then smoke for 5hrs. Anyone see a problem with that? Trout were 2 to 4 lbs each so not thick fillets. Salt and brown sugar for brine.

Attachments

• 20171231_091955.jpg
    20171231_091955.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 64
where do you guys that make bacon in the vancouver area find is the best place to buy your pork bellies?

Trout and a few pieces of salmon all done ready for vac packing. Quite tasty.

Attachments

• 20180101_153043.jpg
    20180101_153043.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 51
where do you guys that make bacon in the vancouver area find is the best place to buy your pork bellies?
You can buy pretty decent bellies right from Britco in Langley but they have a pretty hefty minimum.
Every year , as we know, pork goes on sale in the New Year. Everything from whole legs (hams) to shoulder/butts (sausage) to bellies.
Buy Low foods has Bellies on around this time for about $3/lb...Britco is around $3/lb but I think the minimum is 50lbs right now.

The very best, is to find someone who breeds and sells heritage pork, far more pricey, but is a complete game changer...our commercial pork is raised to be lean.
The heritage breeds are far more flavorful with a higher degree of fat which you need for good side bacon...if you want lean, use a different cut of pork IMHO.

Wish somewhere in vic/langford had a sale on pork bellys as well
last batch I did was from local pigs man it was good

My son works at glenwood meats so I picked up a 13.5 pound fresh belly yesterday. They have nice product and the prices aren't too rediculous but they certainly aren't $3 a pound!

I'll post pics when I have some free time to get this going.

Any brine suggestions?

My son works at glenwood meats so I picked up a 13.5 pound fresh belly yesterday. They have nice product and the prices aren't too rediculous but they certainly aren't $3 a pound!

I'll post pics when I have some free time to get this going.

Any brine suggestions?
pm getbent his is really good best ive had and I'm on my third batch I like it a lot better then the pops brine

13B30DD3-88A5-499D-A427-AA3248705284.jpeg Picked up a couple of smaller sides down at Costco in the US, $2.99 lb, 17lbs overall. Have them in the brine, now have to wait a couple of weeks. Not the usual Valentine’s Day gift to the wife, glad that she would rather have this than the other stuff.

I would love to try this. Can someone post a proven receipt? Just priced pork belly here in Smithers $6.09 a lb. How does that compare to down south?

Back