Diesel Boat Heater

hmmm.... thanks all.... I will be snooping for awhile for sure...
Charlie415... it is a Searunner 210....
I know I will need to cut in an exhaust port and fresh air intake.. not an issue at all. Put my own Bennet Trim tabs on with 2200 I believe... no issues.
I feel like even taking the chill off in early morning and having defrost will be amazing.

You will only need the 2KW heater. Should be ample for a 22' boat.

Looking like the Espar D2 is getting the most positive reviews..... will be calling Cool-it this week. to price out the package.
Thanks for the comments

Looking like the Espar D2 is getting the most positive reviews..... will be calling Cool-it this week. to price out the package.
Thanks for the comments
i need to get one as well for a customer, do you want me to get you a price, Adam gives me pretty good prices

Thanks for the comments
I got ours (D2 to replace our worn out unit) - best prices at the time - keep in mind though the ones they typically sell are geared towards the trucks - you will need the transom thru hull - sold separately. Also one little install detail that is not emphasized enough - the pump must be mounted below the fuel level - they push not pull - took me years to solve that little mystery (original install put it 1/2 way down - would fault out at a specific level)

I got ours (D2 to replace our worn out unit) - best prices at the time - keep in mind though the ones they typically sell are geared towards the trucks - you will need the transom thru hull - sold separately. Also one little install detail that is not emphasized enough - the pump must be mounted below the fuel level - they push not pull - took me years to solve that little mystery (original install put it 1/2 way down - would fault out at a specific level)

I have a D4 and it seams to pull the fuel. May be a different pump. Just make sure you do not pipe the heat under one of 2 front seats for room heat. You will end up with a overheating person that keeps turning the heat down or off cuz he/she is so hot. Pipe the room like sculpin has to avoid this. I know a guy that has his piped like this and its "not working".

The only other issues Ive had with mine over time is having to replace any piping that was paper or aluminum. Particularly the aluminum exhaust pipe. It must be fastened so that there is no movement or vibrations at all on it or it splits causing an exhaust leak with the potential for 02 poisoning. In ten years of running mine I have had to replace piping, a new fuel pump, new fan motor, and the fuel filter which is something that should be done every year or 2. I have had issue with the filter causing shut downs. Make sure to get the digital thermostat so you can read and reset your fault codes.

Make sure to get the digital thermostat so you can read and reset your fault codes.
Actually this is a good idea - while fairly pricey ($125 or so IIRC) since they can trip on quite a few different faults, having the ability to easily see the issue quickly pays for itself in agravation

The one Sculpin installed on his aluminum is pretty good. Went out on really crappy conditions in the winter a while back and that heater was toasty. I would check out his link. Its actually surprising how much heat they pump out.

I thought this was an interesting idea. Got me thinking about some different options with a wallas.
Hmmmmmn, got me thinking about replacing my alcohol/electric stove in the galley with one of those. I almost never use the electric element anyways. Way safer than just opening the hatch too o_O

I had a diesel wallas with heater fan in my boat for years. But replaced it with a pacific oven. When it worked, it worked nice and kept us toasty and the coffee hot. The wallas quit working for me last trip fall of of 2016 so got frustrated with it and bought the diesel pacific stove with cast iron top to replace. Not sure if anyone's interested but I was going to sell the wallas for 400 on kijiji or ebay for parts. (they're crazy expensive new) Just not interested in fixing it now that I have the new stove. It has power and lights up but the red light on the controller starts flashing and doesn't go solid like it should. fuel pump works on it but the glow plug doesn't seem to want to get power. I put a new glow plug in it, and mantle, cleaned the combustion burner pot, and that's about as far as I got with it.
Was going to send it out to scan marine to have it looked at but ended up buying the pacific instead.
Lost interest once I had the new pacific stove installed.

upload_2018-1-11_15-59-20.jpeg

Back