Fishing in subzero temperatures

Matthias

Merry Christmas everyone!
I’m hoping to get out one of these days and would like to know if there’s anything in particular I should be prepared for in such cold temperatures (ie frozen eyelids).
Much appreciated!

I liked a lined belaclava, but with a hole for the mouth as well as the eyes. like this:
images
can be rolled up as a toque and covers the cheeks. I bring two pairs of gloves one fleece lined rubber and a pair of ski type gloves. I use the rubber ones for use in the water and the ski gloves for holding on to the tiller etc.. Cruiser suit and lined boots complete the outfit. Lots of hot coffee and towels to wipe your runny nose. Main thing is to keep extremities warm and staying dry. Freezing rain can really hurt when you are travelling. Cover your mouth when travelling, the cold air can hurt your lungs.

Beleclava and ski goggles if running with no protection works great, goggles keep jacket hood nice and tight to boot.

My favourite t-shirt, and crank the heat in the cabin up to 80. On a sunny winter day you'd swear it was mid-summer.

The little chemical hand warmer packs work like a charm and are a nice comfort. A warm, dry pair of clothes is always good to have on hand and can save your life, and when I’m steelhead fishing I always have a waterproofed container of dry matches and tinder with me incase I fall in and end up down river a ways and cant hike out.

In the winter I fish off Victoria in friends boats that are too small for a proper safe marine heater system so we keep warm with hot water. We fill smaller plastic bottles up from large plastic bottles like two litre pop bottles which hold their heat for a long time if wrapped up in a big towel in an insulated carry bag or in a thermos although they don’t hold as much. Keep the smaller bottles in your pockets or inside your coat. The two liter bottles you can wrap up in a towel on your lap – sometimes referred to as “holding the baby” - with your hands inside the towel. Works great, cost nothing and is very safe. Handling gear and fish in the winter gets your hands cold, but hot water warms them up fast. Good warm clothing or a Floater Suit also helps. You can get the large insulated carry bags from Costco which are designed for transporting food while keeping it cold or hot.

Last edited:
Okay... that was my jackass answer. My real answer is layers. Long johns, sweatpants and Helly Hansen bib pants on the bottom, tee shirt, flannel and a thermal waterproof jacket up top, and a toque on the dome.when I wasn’t battling whipping fish, hands in the pockets or on an ice cold beer.

Back