Diesel Boat Heater

redman210

Hi All!
Looks like I have "authorized" to purchase a diesel boat heater for myself for Xmas!
Have been looking around...and thought I would reach out on this forum to see if anyone has any recommendations. I believe I want a standalone system (I run outboards.. so no other choice.) Wanting something like a Webasto? (spelling) with a separate tank for the diesel or kerosene... and want to be able to run tubes for defrost and/or regular cabin heat. Boat is a Hewscraft full hard top with alaskan bulkhead... so I figure one of these things would be ideal....
Any direction to look for best advise... would be wonderful!
Thanks!

I had an Espar installed.
Provides forced air and hot water but you can get the heat only one much cheaper.
Encompass marine in Campbell river installed mine.

Had a Wabasto in my last boat. Was awesome. Boat toasty warm in 10 minutes.
You can use a 3 gallon kicker tank and take it out of the boat so it makes it easy to fill with diesel.
They are very fuel efficient too.
Is a really good boat option.

I have found a setup on Amazon for 1600 with all the fittings and a tank.... not sure the brand though....
I know GA Checkpoint sells a setup... they want 2800 for it..... includes all the fittings and hoses for front defrost as well as cabin heat.
Seems a bit pricy... I wil do install myself... thats not an issue at all.
Still shopping.. .not in a hurry.. thanks for all the suggestions... and keep em coming!

i use a espar D2 with odorless kerosene, works great
As I have mentioned before having maintained a fleet of vehicles with espars kerosene is the way to go to ret maximum reliability it of the units. Burning diesel in them is way to expensive, the price of the heater is enough, you should see what replacement parts are worth lol! You should see near 100% reliability running kerosene.

poco marine sells the planar kit... i think around 800-1000

I have the Snugger (similar to the espar D2) in my camper, have about 200hrs of run time in the past couple of years, no issues other than a little noisy when you put the pump about 2’ from your bunk (not a lot of options on an 8’ camper) and you need a good battery system - get about 3 days on a couple of golf cart batteries before I have to recharge, shouldn’t have to worry about that with bigger engines and charging systems. Originally bought them for our 26’ aluminum boats, but decided against it, not cold enough during the summer months anyway. For the price, can’t beat them, easy to install as well. I am going to run Kerosene next season and see how that works, found out the hard way that diesel gels at about -9 or so, was using summer diesel:).

If you want to switch to kerosene is it as simple as just adding it in when you have a little diesel left in your tank? Can they mix at first until it’s just kerosene?

Thanks

I believe mine is Espar - boat i bought came with it. Mine requires an exhaust port - they all probably do. The fan is noisy it has an optional muffler on the inlet. Pulls a fair amount of power; probably around 15 amps. Heats an entire 33ft boat. I'd strongly consider a hot water option. Some also heat with hot water - this should be quiter & require less power, but probably won't do the defrosting you want.

Merry Christmas. Great choice for any Northwest boat. Webasto and Espar are virtually identical. Planar and snuggler are Asian copies and less expensive. I have been a marine surveyor for many years and have installed and overseen installation of many of these. You can install yourself. Same units installed in sleeper cabs of over the road semis. You can find lots on eBay used or new. Not much to wear out. May consider a few year old unit for about half. A company in Vancouver has all parts. D2 or Airtop 2000s are perfect for your boat. You are going to be sooooo happy.

hmmm.... thanks all.... I will be snooping for awhile for sure...
Charlie415... it is a Searunner 210....
I know I will need to cut in an exhaust port and fresh air intake.. not an issue at all. Put my own Bennet Trim tabs on with 2200 I believe... no issues.
I feel like even taking the chill off in early morning and having defrost will be amazing.

FYI ronj, only need to cut exhaust port. Interior air is sufficient. I believe I have a manual I could email you so you can start figuring the install if you want. Safest boat heat possible and dry heat.

I have a Webasto that has had 12 years of diesel through it. You have to know their quirks. They need super clean diesel. Rip off the factory filter and put a bigger one on. Install takes a day. When they don't fire, take the fuel line off, and stick a thin strand of copper (Like out of a marine 10 guage wire) up the fuel intake barb to clean the injector. If they just smoke and don't go, pull it out and clean the wadding. Do not buy a 350 dollar burner assembly. You can get wadding online for $15 each. I know a lot of guys who have Planar heaters and love them, at the price they charge they seem like good value.

Back